Short notice BRNC question regarding dress regs

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Purple_twiglet, May 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I find myself at BRNC shortly over a weekend period and am (to my undisguised horror) eating in the SGR.

Does anyone recently departed BRNC happen to know what the current dress code is at weekends in the SGR - is open neck shirt okay, or is it suits for all meals / bar? It seems to change varying on 1LT / Cdrs whim so would welcome a current status so I'm not out of rig. I'm travelling with limited space to carry stuff, so sadly cant bring an entire wardrobe to satisfy every possible rig permutation imagineable!

Sadly away from DII so cant ring, but would welcome any guidance!
    Last edited: May 16, 2013
  2. Silk grey dress, below the knee, not spaghetti straps.
  3. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

PT, I'd call the Mess manager ( quite likely a retired Chief Steward ) or even the Duty Hall Porter. Can't speak for BRNC but prior to rocking up at other unknown Wardrooms ( never a gun room, senior or otherwise) they have kept me right.

Overdressing in civvies will mess with the heads of even senior officers, if they don't know who you are are and you are (like me) a more mature chap.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Purple_twiglet

I'm only 33 - I suppose by BRNC standards that does make me a mature chap though ;-)
  5. PM'd you a number I have in my phone - may be out of date, but possibly worth a try.
  6. Since last night I have realised that I think someone who works with me may be on the same course as you:

The rig para of his joining instructions says:

13. Rig throughout the course will be 3As/3Cs for daily instruction – BRNC insists on uniformity for all Service personnel. The rig for Self and Team Awareness (Low Ropes) is 4s, DMS boots and beret. It is also advisable to bring full foul weather clothing in the event of adverse weather conditions. Dress in the SRs Mess is smart casual. Clean, ‘unripped’ jeans may be worn, however sports rig is not to be worn in the Mess Bar or in the Galley at any time. Rig when dining in the SGR at weekends is smart casuals comprising of shoes, trousers (not jeans) and collared shirt.

If you want the whole document just PM me an email address.
  7. It is well know the principal cause of institutional failure in Iraq and Afghanistan is Officers wearing jeans.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Be honest now ATG, jeans are very "lower deck" dontcha know.
  9. Go a basic suit with collar and tie. If you're wrong, take the tie off, and relax top button.
  10. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In my wardroom jeans were allowed for those proceeding to or returning from ashore. The only rules I had were:

1. All shirts had to have a collar
    2. If you were eating onboard then the rig was planters to reflect that you were being served by stewards, and should dress to respect that fact.
    3. All officers were to behave as officers at all times. If unsure as to how to comply then the advice of the nearest HOD was to be sought.

never had any snags
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Fri & weekends is shirt NEGAT tie or polo shirt.
  12. Purple_twiglet

Cheers folks - all sorted and thanks for the assistance in finding out.

It was interesting to see the way that the SGR is now hosting a range of courses with different takes on what is rig. The nice folks wearing collarless t-shirts and jeans were interesting and not what I'd have expected to see in the SGR...

13. Rock and roll.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Oddly never had you down as an Officer.....

Are you in the MCC now?
  15. Still no assless chaps though...