shore establishments in WW2

slim

War Hero
I seem to recall that at one time my Dad was stationed at Chatham but was working in London helping with after bombing duties

soleil

War Hero
Does anybody know what seaman did during time at shore establishments? thank you

Especially HMS Drake

I'm not quite sure that I have understood your question as you intended it, but something which struck me when I was researching something to do with bases during this period was that they fulfilled a range of functions, partly depending on where they were. There was one, I can't remember which one for the moment, which was responsible for pay and other administrative matters.

My understanding is that Devonport's primary role during the Second World War was to repair ships, its proximity to both the Atlantic and the Channel being of particular significance.

Union Jack

Badgeman
Does anybody know what seaman did during time at shore establishments? thank you

Especially HMS Drake
I realise that it's not exactly what you are asking, but I seem to recall being told that, for safety during the worst of the bombing in WW2, large numbers of the men and women based at RNB Devonport were bussed out to stay overnight at the old victualling depot at Wrangaton.

Jack

Bobyoung

Midshipman
During shore bases I’m sure they were waiting for their next posting. Probably training or re training and being a general helping hand for anything required. I just wondered as some shore postings were for up to 6 months on my dads service record whether their were more specific things on the posting. Probably rest after some previous ordeal? Any examples would be great ...thank you

ChrisAsh

Midshipman
In the 1960's most in barracks were either on leave after seatime. doing courses like fire fighting , on general working parties or manning the gates and doing other duties.

The barracks were built in victorian times or earlier, junior rates mess blocks were on either two or three levels about 30-40 double bunks with straw mattresses and the only heating was a pot bellied coal stove every 20 odd feet on one side so basically freezing in winter and each pot bellied had about 3 or 4 armchairs around them.

1965 on HMS Adamant was the last ship i served on with hammocks for all junior rates

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Pilot shore life, sea life and family life Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
soleil Refinery 29: "Money Diary - A Submariner On £43k In Her Last Week On Shore For Months" Submariners 17
soleil D. Mail: "Royal Marines Stage Dramatic Landing On Scottish Shore" The Corps 1
Klanky67 Shore leave whilst alongside in the UK RFA 16
BillyNoMates Sick on Shore (in an all inclusive). Diamond Lil's 5
P After shore training... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS News story: Shutdown of shore test facility reactor MoD News 0
T Shore accomodation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
soleil Bristol Post: "You're Shore To Sea Benefits Being A Navy Reservist" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
FunkyJunky What entitlement to be shore side within last 12 months? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 15
Repulse Belgian Shore Force History 20
C SHORE time prior to discharge after 22 year + Finance & Pensions 7
soleil Guide And Gazette: "Did You Serve At Shore Base HMS Collingwood?" Bases / Shore Est 4
WreckerL Shore base closures The Quarterdeck 83
B What does "released to shore in Class A" mean? The Quarterdeck 5
G MCM's Sea/shore ratio The Fleet 3
J Donibristle RNAS pics [ sorry cross-posted in shore bases ] History 1
Alfacharlie Warning Discharge Shore Diamond Lil's 8
B SHORE LEAVE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
D SEA TIME OR SHORE BASED??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
K Sea-to-shore ratio The Quarterdeck 5
Good_CO Known Error - vanishing "shore est" forum Site Issues 1
brothers shore patrol Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Clouseau Relevant and Current Issues No.1 - TDBC & Shore billets Bases / Shore Est 34
Harry_off_the_Hermes Royal Navy sailor disembarks on shore leave in Plymouth History 14
Streaky Shore to Sea Diamond Lil's 1
higthepig Shore Patrol. Diamond Lil's 9
M Acceptable rig between establishments The Quarterdeck 15
O Overseas Establishments History 1
B Naval Establishments of The Past Bases / Shore Est 10
N Junior Training Establishments History 60
J The Lost Submarines in the Meditteranean in WW2 Submariners 3
soleil FB: RNRMC - Happy 100th Birthday Harry Melling - Britain's Oldest WW2 Submariner Submariners 2
soleil FB: HMNB Portsmouth: Seven Sprightly WW2 Veterans Visit HMS Queen Elizabeth The Fleet 9
M Ships Photographers in WW2. History 10
O Advice needed on order of medals earned by my Granddad in WW2 History 29
S HMS/TS Foudroyant ww2 History 13
B Dad was on schooner Zuoduchos Pigi in WW2 The Fleet 0
K HMS Vega WW2 - more info The Fleet 2
S Help with ww2 record Miscellaneous 3
D FAA WW2 The Fleet Air Arm 7
MoD_RSS British soldiers killed during WW2 are honoured as they are laid to rest MoD News 0
C Dan-Layer's of WW2. History 11
Keithdwat579 Royal Navy WW2 Uniforms History 6
Bad CO Tracking Down a WW2 Service Record History 4
S Late WW2 WO titles query History 1
MoD_RSS News story: Service of commemoration for 5 WW2 Royal Air Force servicemen MoD News 0
Stirlin Secret Agent Selection WW2 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
Wightsparker WW2 bomb closes City Airport Current Affairs 6
P WW2 Service numbers Submariners 5