Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shootings at US University

Should the US introduce better gun control legislation?


  • Total voters
    325

slim

War Hero
Unfortunately the gun lobby in the USA has too much power. Legislation has been talked about for decades, however a redneck without his guns will never happen.
 
The Gun lobby does indeed have alot of power, apparently one of its Political Action Committee's financing support of George Bush in 2000 may have helped him into Power, no Federal level Republican will do anything that harms that relationship in my opinion.

The death toll, according to reports at the moment, may have risen to twenty two people.
 

dublinclontarf

Badgeman
Potential_Officer said:
Another mass murder of innocent students at a US Education centre, when will America learn to incorporate better gun control to save more innocent lives?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6560685.stm


The problem isn't what you think, I'm sure on campus student's aren't allowed guns, so they're all unarmed, and unable to defend themselves.

The bad guy's can always get guns, even if they're banned. Just think of Dunblane, and this one in Germany http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1952869.stm

In both countries guns are banned, but it still happened. The problem is the students are unarmed, if they had guns these people would be dead before they could take a second life, or even a first one if lucky.


(As for the primary schools, of course 6 year old kids shouldn't be armed, but they're teachers should be.)
 
dublinclontarf said:
The problem isn't what you think, I'm sure on campus student's aren't allowed guns, so they're all unarmed, and unable to defend themselves.

The bad guy's can always get guns, even if they're banned. Just think of Dunblane, and this one in Germany http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1952869.stm

In both countries guns are banned, but it still happened. The problem is the students are unarmed, if they had guns these people would be dead before they could take a second life, or even a first one if lucky.


(As for the primary schools, of course 6 year old kids shouldn't be armed, but they're teachers should be.)

It would dramatically reduce gun murders, people cannot go off, spur of the moment on a killing spree. It would make it much harder to get guns, rather than walking down to the nearest gun shop and waiting a week or so for your application to go through. Furthermore under your theory, everyone would be need to be walking around with a gun at all times, thoroughly aware of all potential threats to them. This doesn't take away the threats of people shooting others in the back, taking people off guard.

Unfortunatly it never will happen, I am aware of this, furthermore to ensure that the entire population of the US was disarmed would be a difficult task. Until or rather if it ever happens, many more innocents will die.
 
dublinclontarf said:
Potential_Officer said:
Another mass murder of innocent students at a US Education centre, when will America learn to incorporate better gun control to save more innocent lives?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6560685.stm


The problem isn't what you think, I'm sure on campus student's aren't allowed guns, so they're all unarmed, and unable to defend themselves.

The bad guy's can always get guns, even if they're banned. Just think of Dunblane, and this one in Germany http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1952869.stm

In both countries guns are banned, but it still happened. The problem is the students are unarmed, if they had guns these people would be dead before they could take a second life, or even a first one if lucky.


(As for the primary schools, of course 6 year old kids shouldn't be armed, but they're teachers should be.)

Is this a wah?

If not - Dunblane LED to the banning of handguns in the UK. Once was enough.

Same as Hungerford led to the banning of assault rifles.
 

Jarhead

War Hero
Gun Control in the US will never happen. Millions of gun owners go about their lives without shooting anyone even in self defense. A couple of whackos (and yes, the number is more than a couple) doesn't change the fact.

The reason why the 2nd amendment exists is that if the government ever gets too uppity for its britches we can change the government - and one of the reasons why we're the most successful government in the world.
 

sara21

Lantern Swinger
Dublin- Fighting fire with fire is not the answer!

Allowing students to carry guns is not a good idea, most have us have problems using a pen safely!!
 

xxspikexx

Lantern Swinger
SS-super-stoker said:
dublinclontarf said:
Potential_Officer said:
Another mass murder of innocent students at a US Education centre, when will America learn to incorporate better gun control to save more innocent lives?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6560685.stm


The problem isn't what you think, I'm sure on campus student's aren't allowed guns, so they're all unarmed, and unable to defend themselves.

The bad guy's can always get guns, even if they're banned. Just think of Dunblane, and this one in Germany http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1952869.stm

In both countries guns are banned, but it still happened. The problem is the students are unarmed, if they had guns these people would be dead before they could take a second life, or even a first one if lucky.


(As for the primary schools, of course 6 year old kids shouldn't be armed, but they're teachers should be.)

Is this a wah?

If not - Dunblane LED to the banning of handguns in the UK. Once was enough.

Same as Hungerford led to the banning of assault rifles.

dont know how much of a sheltered life u lead but on my estate u got 100 quid u get a gun , assault rifles a bit more expensive
 
The reason why the 2nd amendment exists is that if the government ever gets too uppity for its britches we can change the government - and one of the reasons why we're the most successful government in the world.

How do you work that one out Jarhead?
 
Jarhead said:
Gun Control in the US will never happen. Millions of gun owners go about their lives without shooting anyone even in self defense. A couple of whackos (and yes, the number is more than a couple) doesn't change the fact.

The reason why the 2nd amendment exists is that if the government ever gets too uppity for its britches we can change the government - and one of the reasons why we're the most successful government in the world.

BUSH JR IS NOT A MASSIVE RECOMMENDATION JARHEAD OF A SUCCESSFUL GOVERMENT.

YES BEFORE YOU GUN ME DOWN WITH YOUR IMPRESSIVE SPUD GUN,

BLAIR AINT MUCH COP EITHER BUT I JUST LOVE YOUR UNSWAVERING SELF-BELIEF THAT THE US of A IS THE ONLY PLACE IN THE WORLD WORTH A DAMN. IF IT DOESNT FIT INTO THE HOG SWILLING THAT YOU GUYS WANT OR TAKE THEN IT DOESNT MATTER.

PS I DO LIKE COMING TO AMERICA FOR A HOLIDAY BUT ONLY FOR 2 WEEKS AND NO MORE.
 
Jarhead said:
Gun Control in the US will never happen. Millions of gun owners go about their lives without shooting anyone even in self defense. A couple of whackos (and yes, the number is more than a couple) doesn't change the fact.

Yep, I agree with that :)
I know its easy to say "its not the gun that kills" and all that, but there is an element of truth in it. Some nutter out of millions goes wacko and straight away all the ban the gun brigade come out of the closet.(No i'm not talking about anyone on here before it all starts :D )
Should cars be banned because someone does a hit and run?
(Yes yes I know its not that good an analagy, but it serves the purpose)

Edited cos I 'ave banger fingers :)
 
Owing to the proliferation of private guns in the trigger-happy USA, I understand far more innocent Americans (mostly family members) are killed or injured by NDs (negligent discharges) or cases of mistaken identity than by the bad guys. N.B. The US citizen's right to bear arms i.a.w. the US Constitution was originally intended for members of a militia against the threat of invasion, not for personal use. However, this 'right' has been usurped by the NRA.

Worst thing about our upgraded gun control laws post Hungerford and Dunblane was their effect on target shooting clubs. Domestic ownership, except by sports shooters, and shotguns by sports shooters and farmers, etc, was already illegal. Only shotguns left now although there is an increase of small arms among the gangstas but they mostly shoot each other. Still proud to have unarmed police on our streets except in exceptional circumstances, not to mention the fact that any shootings still make national headlines.
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Jarhead said:
The reason why the 2nd amendment exists is that if the government ever gets too uppity for its britches we can change the government - and one of the reasons why we're the most successful government in the world.

Does the 2nd Amendment really sanction armed overthrow of Dubya and his kind? Does it only permit armed insurrection by US Citizens or can anyone join in - if the latter why all the fuss called the "War on Terrrrrr"?
 

4to8

MIA
"In many states regulations continued prohibiting Catholics, Jews, slaves, indentured servants, and propertyless whites from owning guns. Moreover, state governments conducted gun censuses — that is, a listing of type and ownership of all firearms — well into the 19th century. One scholarly study holds that less than 14 percent of the adult white male population, those otherwise eligible to own guns, actually possessed firearms in 1790. At the time the states adopted the Second Amendment, then, it is fair to say that a considerable measure of gun control, not an unlimited right to own firearms, was the rule throughout the 13 states."
So it seems that the right to bear arms was confined to Protestants and the the 2nd amendment kinda forgot to mention that.It was the same in the UK .
 

AfterSSE

War Hero
The premise is simple...make it too hard to get a gun/rifle in the first place, if the individual had to jump through hoops to obtain a license then they would give up, mind you the criminals will always find a way to get one.

Availability is what's wrong in the US, that and the NRA lobbyists who blatantly bribe/donate to political wannabees, see in any other country a kickback is considered against the law, in the states it's part of their political environment.


The current death toll from that shooting is now 31 plus the shooter...

Believe it or not, actual gun deaths in the states is on the decline...

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/weapons.htm
 

greenking

Banned
I believe the second amendment allows them to bear arms against the federal government.....hence Ruby Ridge, Waco, etc
 

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Moderator
Problem is that we cannot uninvent the weapons that already exist. Bit like Israel, India & Iran in some respects.
 

dublinclontarf

Badgeman
Naval_Gazer said:
N.B. The US citizen's right to bear arms i.a.w. the US Constitution was originally intended for members of a militia against the threat of invasion, not for personal use. However, this 'right' has been usurped by the NRA.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

So it says a well regulated militia is important to the security of the state, THEN it says the people (not the militia only) have the right to bear arms.

Pretty clear to me. :roll:
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Waspie US wonder why they have shootings!!! Diamond Lil's 6
Ghost Army shootings in NI Current Affairs 0
G Cumbrian shootings Current Affairs 36
Bergen Fort Hood Shootings - Quick Call A Spin-Doctor!! Current Affairs 12
T Shootings At Fort Hood Army Base, Texas Current Affairs 37
Montigny_La_Palisse Northern Ireland shootings- Hero soldiers. Current Affairs 4
MoD_RSS UK Government invests in Covid research at St Andrews University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Paraguayan Ministry of Health and Stirling University sign agreement MoD News 0
R Whether to continue with University Sqn Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS GOSH Hospital signs a five-year contract with Ain Shams University Hospital MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra university places for vital courses announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major Birmingham University station upgrade will boost economy and improve journeys for passengers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Michael Walker, Referee Analyst, honoured by Queen's University MoD News 0
CiviPilot Deferring University Entry Waiting for Officer Application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: Oxford Brookes University, Wheatley Campus, College Close, Wheatley, Oxford (ref: 3230827 - 23 April 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC Executive Director of Operations visits Durham University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC Executive Director of People visits Brighton University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA Engagement Day at Cranfield University MoD News 0
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
MoD_RSS Education Secretary backs review of university admissions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University of Liverpool changes student debt penalty policy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Collaborating with Queen’s University to improve coffee authenticity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University boosts earnings by around 20% across the country MoD News 0
MoD_RSS University? Traineeship? First Job? What’s your post-exam plan? MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: University sector rises to challenge from Education Secretary MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Loughborough University leads a UK aid programme to tackle climate change MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Dstl Unveils First ‘Searchlight’ Event at Cranfield University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government pledge to ‘beat the cheats’ at university MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CoRWM and Radioactive Waste Management meeting with Waseda University MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New university-business partnerships to boost jobs and local economies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Review of UK university rating system launched MoD News 0
C Applying while at university Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS News story: Oxford University: Surveillance Camera Code Compliant MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Solicitor General to be given first Durham University Achievement Award MoD News 0
L university whilst in service Joining the Royal Navy 7
Mr_Gillette Some questions on MAs, Open University, and the Silent Service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS News story: Headley Court partners with Loughborough University for research study MoD News 0
D UGAS or University? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
F University or the Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
slim University or Apprenticeships? Current Affairs 9
P Can RNR access the Forces University Short Courses system? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
D Finish university in June. When is the best time to start my application? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
C RMR while at University RMR 10
S Edinburgh University ends funding for US drone component maker Current Affairs 6
Tomahawk Best time for an AIB whilst at University Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
G Royal Marine University Bursary Applicant Training Diary Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
M Which University? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
B University, RMR and varying work hours RMR 5
U Questions about joining up and university education. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
Olly013 AIB fail due to university? - Some advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Similar threads


















































Top