Shootings at US University

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Potential_Officer, Apr 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unfortunately the gun lobby in the USA has too much power. Legislation has been talked about for decades, however a redneck without his guns will never happen.

2. The Gun lobby does indeed have alot of power, apparently one of its Political Action Committee's financing support of George Bush in 2000 may have helped him into Power, no Federal level Republican will do anything that harms that relationship in my opinion.

The death toll, according to reports at the moment, may have risen to twenty two people.

3. The problem isn't what you think, I'm sure on campus student's aren't allowed guns, so they're all unarmed, and unable to defend themselves.

The bad guy's can always get guns, even if they're banned. Just think of Dunblane, and this one in Germany http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1952869.stm

In both countries guns are banned, but it still happened. The problem is the students are unarmed, if they had guns these people would be dead before they could take a second life, or even a first one if lucky.

(As for the primary schools, of course 6 year old kids shouldn't be armed, but they're teachers should be.)

4. It would dramatically reduce gun murders, people cannot go off, spur of the moment on a killing spree. It would make it much harder to get guns, rather than walking down to the nearest gun shop and waiting a week or so for your application to go through. Furthermore under your theory, everyone would be need to be walking around with a gun at all times, thoroughly aware of all potential threats to them. This doesn't take away the threats of people shooting others in the back, taking people off guard.

Unfortunatly it never will happen, I am aware of this, furthermore to ensure that the entire population of the US was disarmed would be a difficult task. Until or rather if it ever happens, many more innocents will die.

5. Is this a wah?

If not - Dunblane LED to the banning of handguns in the UK. Once was enough.

Same as Hungerford led to the banning of assault rifles.

6. Gun Control in the US will never happen. Millions of gun owners go about their lives without shooting anyone even in self defense. A couple of whackos (and yes, the number is more than a couple) doesn't change the fact.

The reason why the 2nd amendment exists is that if the government ever gets too uppity for its britches we can change the government - and one of the reasons why we're the most successful government in the world.

7. Dublin- Fighting fire with fire is not the answer!

Allowing students to carry guns is not a good idea, most have us have problems using a pen safely!!

8. dont know how much of a sheltered life u lead but on my estate u got 100 quid u get a gun , assault rifles a bit more expensive

9. The reason why the 2nd amendment exists is that if the government ever gets too uppity for its britches we can change the government - and one of the reasons why we're the most successful government in the world.

How do you work that one out Jarhead?

10. BUSH JR IS NOT A MASSIVE RECOMMENDATION JARHEAD OF A SUCCESSFUL GOVERMENT.

YES BEFORE YOU GUN ME DOWN WITH YOUR IMPRESSIVE SPUD GUN,

BLAIR AINT MUCH COP EITHER BUT I JUST LOVE YOUR UNSWAVERING SELF-BELIEF THAT THE US of A IS THE ONLY PLACE IN THE WORLD WORTH A DAMN. IF IT DOESNT FIT INTO THE HOG SWILLING THAT YOU GUYS WANT OR TAKE THEN IT DOESNT MATTER.

PS I DO LIKE COMING TO AMERICA FOR A HOLIDAY BUT ONLY FOR 2 WEEKS AND NO MORE.

11. Yep, I agree with that :)
    I know its easy to say "its not the gun that kills" and all that, but there is an element of truth in it. Some nutter out of millions goes wacko and straight away all the ban the gun brigade come out of the closet.(No i'm not talking about anyone on here before it all starts :D )
    Should cars be banned because someone does a hit and run?
    (Yes yes I know its not that good an analagy, but it serves the purpose)

Edited cos I 'ave banger fingers :)

12. Owing to the proliferation of private guns in the trigger-happy USA, I understand far more innocent Americans (mostly family members) are killed or injured by NDs (negligent discharges) or cases of mistaken identity than by the bad guys. N.B. The US citizen's right to bear arms i.a.w. the US Constitution was originally intended for members of a militia against the threat of invasion, not for personal use. However, this 'right' has been usurped by the NRA.

Worst thing about our upgraded gun control laws post Hungerford and Dunblane was their effect on target shooting clubs. Domestic ownership, except by sports shooters, and shotguns by sports shooters and farmers, etc, was already illegal. Only shotguns left now although there is an increase of small arms among the gangstas but they mostly shoot each other. Still proud to have unarmed police on our streets except in exceptional circumstances, not to mention the fact that any shootings still make national headlines.

13. http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html

amendment II if anyone wants to check.

14. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Does the 2nd Amendment really sanction armed overthrow of Dubya and his kind? Does it only permit armed insurrection by US Citizens or can anyone join in - if the latter why all the fuss called the "War on Terrrrrr"?

15. "In many states regulations continued prohibiting Catholics, Jews, slaves, indentured servants, and propertyless whites from owning guns. Moreover, state governments conducted gun censuses — that is, a listing of type and ownership of all firearms — well into the 19th century. One scholarly study holds that less than 14 percent of the adult white male population, those otherwise eligible to own guns, actually possessed firearms in 1790. At the time the states adopted the Second Amendment, then, it is fair to say that a considerable measure of gun control, not an unlimited right to own firearms, was the rule throughout the 13 states."
    So it seems that the right to bear arms was confined to Protestants and the the 2nd amendment kinda forgot to mention that.It was the same in the UK .

16. The premise is simple...make it too hard to get a gun/rifle in the first place, if the individual had to jump through hoops to obtain a license then they would give up, mind you the criminals will always find a way to get one.

Availability is what's wrong in the US, that and the NRA lobbyists who blatantly bribe/donate to political wannabees, see in any other country a kickback is considered against the law, in the states it's part of their political environment.

The current death toll from that shooting is now 31 plus the shooter...

Believe it or not, actual gun deaths in the states is on the decline...

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/weapons.htm

17. I believe the second amendment allows them to bear arms against the federal government.....hence Ruby Ridge, Waco, etc

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Problem is that we cannot uninvent the weapons that already exist. Bit like Israel, India & Iran in some respects.

19. Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

So it says a well regulated militia is important to the security of the state, THEN it says the people (not the militia only) have the right to bear arms.

Pretty clear to me. :roll: