Ships Nicknames

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by capt-ahab, Mar 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This came up in another forum (by me) and thought I'd give it one of it's own!

Ships nicknames - some pretty random ones out there - who the hell makes them up!?

Some are pretty obvious (Lusty, Ice Cream Frigate etc etc) but all those ships that are 'crazy', 'fighting' and 'mighty' etc. Who decides whether you qaulify!? :)

What are the worst ones you've heard? Any better suggestions than the ones they've got already?

2. HMS Eagle The Fighting Lady

HMS Bulwark The Rusty B

3. HMS Gutless and HMS Decrepid (Landing Ships)

Shiner

4. Raving "J" Juno

Nancy Naiad

for all you new guys there Leanders :D

5. Juno was also known as the Chocolate Box

6. mmm I wonder why :wink:

7. CherryB aka Charybdis
    RatRat aka Tartar
    Liger aka Tiger because she used parts off the Lion during refit
    Snakey Blake aka Blake

8. Galatea was the Black Pig (I have no idea why)

9. Maybe Captain Pugwash was the C.O.?

10. Tea Urn for S/M Taciturn

11. HMS/M Tapir, the antediluvian pig and remember the Firehydrant en route ashore between Dolphin and Vernon 8O

12. Arse Boil - Ark Royal

13. The Old Grey Lady - HMS Albion (1954 -73).

14. Anyone else know know why the Charybidis was called the Cherry B. I would say but in this age of PC and due to its sensitive nature perhaps I had better not say!.

15. Anyone else know know why the Charybidis was called the Cherry B. I would say but in this age of PC and due to its sensitive nature perhaps I had better not say!.

16. The Old Grey Lady - Hms Albion (1954 -73).

17. I wouldn't think it was particularly complicated... Cherry B is a shoe polish, it just fitted the name CharyB - dis

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

It would be a more interesting thread if reasons for the nickname could be given, some are obvious but not all

19. HMS Glamorgan.....glamorous organ
    HMS Fife........fighting fife.

20. HMS Bacchante was the "Bag Shanty"

Most of the nicknames are just a corruption of the name, but "Shiny Sheffield" presumably got its name through its connection with the "stainless steel" city.

I still think the most apt name of all is still in existence..... Collingrad!