Ships Nicknames

capt-ahab

Lantern Swinger
This came up in another forum (by me) and thought I'd give it one of it's own!

Ships nicknames - some pretty random ones out there - who the hell makes them up!?

Some are pretty obvious (Lusty, Ice Cream Frigate etc etc) but all those ships that are 'crazy', 'fighting' and 'mighty' etc. Who decides whether you qaulify!? :)

What are the worst ones you've heard? Any better suggestions than the ones they've got already?

CherryB aka Charybdis
RatRat aka Tartar
Liger aka Tiger because she used parts off the Lion during refit
Snakey Blake aka Blake

Old_Hand

Lantern Swinger
Anyone else know know why the Charybidis was called the Cherry B. I would say but in this age of PC and due to its sensitive nature perhaps I had better not say!.

Old_Hand

Lantern Swinger
Anyone else know know why the Charybidis was called the Cherry B. I would say but in this age of PC and due to its sensitive nature perhaps I had better not say!.

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
Old_Hand said:
I wouldn't think it was particularly complicated... Cherry B is a shoe polish, it just fitted the name CharyB - dis

Geoff_Wessex

Lantern Swinger
HMS Bacchante was the "Bag Shanty"

Most of the nicknames are just a corruption of the name, but "Shiny Sheffield" presumably got its name through its connection with the "stainless steel" city.

I still think the most apt name of all is still in existence..... Collingrad!