Ships Gun Badges

Discussion in 'History' started by Tartan_Smudger, Feb 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My boss is doing some research on Ships Badges and has been told there is a book about them. Now years ago I remember Navy Careers printed a big sheet with all the then current badges on in colour. Has anyone got one of these or can point me in the direction of a website where I can glean more info/pictures?

2. Cheers LH - Your a star! :D

3. That book is only for the letter B and will only show ships badges beginning with that letter.

On the Barrow Submariners site there is a complete set of all submarine badges pictures A-Z so it would be a good start .

http://www.submariners.co.uk/

Old Navy ship names are used continuously for new ships . One example is Victorious last ship named that was an Aircraft Carrier but its now a Submarine .

4. That book is only for the letter B and will only show ships badges beginning with that letter.

On the Barrow Submariners site there is a complete set of all submarine badges pictures A-Z so it would be a good start .

http://www.submariners.co.uk/

Old Navy ship names are used continuously for new ships . One example is Victorious last ship named that was an Aircraft Carrier but its now a Submarine .

5. There is another book!

Admiralty Ships Badges - Original Patterns 1919-1994, in two volumes. Has been adoptd as a BR!

Unfortunately it is out of print now but some good book shops may still have copies!

For your information the ISBN numbers are as follows:

ISBN 09529346 0 4 (two volume set)
    ISBN 09529346 1 2 (volume One)
    ISBN 09529346 2 0 (volume Two)

I have a copy so if there is something you are particularly interested in Post here and I look it up!

6. Hi, I am new to this site but am busy at present researching the ships that dry docked in Selbourne D D in Simon's Town. All the ships painted their badge on the dock wall, however, over the past 40+ years, some have become very indistinct or painted over and some details are missing. I see you have a book on these badges. Would it be possible for you to let me have details re: HMS Shropshire; HMS Colossus.
    Also, there is a badse with no name which is a 5 sided design in yellow with a red Star of David in the centre.

Any help/info would oblige. Thanks

7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Bob J, have a look too at the ship's names carved into the floor of the old sail loft which became the dockyard church.

8. Hello Bob J

The ships badge of HMS Shropshire shows a front view of a gold leopard's head on a blue field. This badge was taken from the Arms of the County of Shropshire.
    The ships badge of HMS Colossus shows a front view of a white bust of the god Apollo, with gold rays around his head on a blue field.

If the unknown badge that you describe is in fact that of an RN ship, the pentagon shape usually used to indicate a cruiser and the only cruiser badge that shows a type of a star of David was that of HMS Nigeria.
    Her badge was two interlaced green triangles, with a Kings Crown within, on a wavy blue and white field.

I hope this info helps.

9. Thanks for the info. I will go and have a look next week.

10. Hi Forth 60, the badge that is on the wall for Colossus is I beleive, their "Unofficial" one.Shows a globe being held in hand with 1st finger pointing upwards and thumb at right angle.

HMS Nigeria's badge is there, colours differ but what the heck! but the pentagon shape has become a puzzle. Is there any way I can send you a photo?

Thanks Bob J

11. Hi Bob J
    I have sent you a PM

12. Hi Forth60,
    I do not seem to be able to find your PM that you sent Friday.

BobJ

13. Hi Bobj
    Have resent now

VBR

Edited to add :

For some unknown reason, they are stuck in my outbox and refuse to be sent. Any ideas?

14. Hi, I have been trying to locate these books, but without success. Do you have the name of the publishers & author. I have looked on a list of ISBN numbers, but cannot find them listed.

Thanks for yr help

BobJ

15. Good day Seaweed,

I went to the old sail loft to-day and found only 2 names inscribed on the floor; Euryalus and President. I think that both these are from a very early date. Disappointed that I could not find more. However, in the loft itself, painted on the beams are the names of some early sailing ships. I am going back to photo them all.

How come you were aware of the names?

VBR

BobJ

16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I spent Christmas 1967 in Simonstown while I was in Euryalus (see avatar). The old sail loft had become the dockyard church. I was astonished to see my own ship's name right in front of my chair! I think this must have meant that a sail was cut there for a previous Euryalus but have no idea which - we were the VIth, IV and V were twentieth century cruisers, I was Blackwood's frigate at Trafalgar, can't remember II but I think it was III which was at the forcing of the straits of Simonoseki in the 1860s; she would have had to go out via the Cape so perhaps the name was from her.