Ships crests/plaques

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
ref: Wrecker -where's the Gunners ?/ Tampions:
The tampions were the bits that were inserted into the barrels of the guns and screwed up tight (so they didn't fall out), to stop the ingress of water, goffers to you and me. The shiny bits with the ships crest on were simply known as muzzle covers, which fitted over the actual barrel. these were removed at sea.
In the case of roughers at sea, the tampions could also be covered by 'rubber johnnies' which fitted over the barrels when the shiny bits were removed.
The rubber johnnies were also used to ensure Gastight integrity (until the first shell was fired), obviously, the tampions were removed before-hand.

The tampions were the bits that were inserted into the barrels of the guns and screwed up tight (so they didn't fall out), to stop the ingress of water, goffers to you and me. The shiny bits with the ships crest on were simply known as muzzle covers, which fitted over the actual barrel. these were removed at sea.
In the case of roughers at sea, the tampions could also be covered by 'rubber johnnies' which fitted over the barrels when the shiny bits were removed.
The rubber johnnies were also used to ensure Gastight integrity (until the first shell was fired), obviously, the tampions were removed before-hand.
You're right, and thanks for reminding me of the correct terminology.

We often used to refer to the shiny muzzle cover on the 4.5" Mk8 as the "ceremonial tampion", (incorrectly, strictly speaking), but in our defence, proper tampions were no longer used, being replaced with a strong plastic muzzle cover which could be fired through, (although this was avoided).

I suppose it was just Jack's lazy way of bastardising the language - as usual :D

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
Ballistic : Don't know when you served, but I came out in 85, the Gunnery Branch (QA's, FC's etc) was nearly all gone by then, I remember that there was (allegedly) only 5 QA/QR IIs left in the mob by then. I know that the OEM I had training with me wasn't amused, he had to play with grease and oil. Got his poor hands dirty !!!

Ballistic : Don't know when you served, but I came out in 85, the Gunnery Branch (QA's, FC's etc) was nearly all gone by then, I remember that there was (allegedly) only 5 QA/QR IIs left in the mob by then. I know that the OEM I had training with me wasn't amused, he had to play with grease and oil. Got his poor hands dirty !!!
I left at the start of this century. I wasn't involved in the QA/QR/FC world being WE although I did put my COT's hat on when the turret's crew (all WE) closed up.

I was an OEM before being side swiped into the ME world, loved playing with the bang sticks but pusser thought otherwise (probably for a good reason :) )

I haven't been able to upload images (too large) but if anyone is interested in HMS Bristol and/ or HMNZS Royalist then please message me for contact details and I will share images with you. Thanks - Danny

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Except in the case of HMS Chichester in 1965ish. TWICE.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
(granny) History 15
S History 20
S The Quarterdeck 4