Ships crests/plaques

Hi to all i am new in here i am a naval collecter and i got over 550 ships crests around the world the last one that i got that i like some infor i know about it but i like to make sure. I got a brass crest plaque of hms peacock but only the crest no crowns on it i need some infor please thanks

Hi to all i am new in here i am a naval collecter and i got over 550 ships crests around the world the last one that i got that i like some infor i know about it but i like to make sure. I got a brass crest plaque of hms peacock but only the crest no crowns on it i need some infor please thanks
Photo of it may help, my Dad served on the Black Swan class Peacock so I'd be interested to see it.

That's the same crest he had on the wall at home but with the crown. I can only guess that is a "rabbit" job and not an official reproduction.

In fact, thinking about it, all the Peacock crests I've seen had a plain background, not patterned like yours, so I would say it was definitely a rabbit job. Others may be along with other ideas though.

Thanks but you are mistaking i bought it from a old shop of a old things and before the crest was made of brass and it is heavy and the infor that i have is that this is a crest tap of the black swan class guns , the guns taps were only the crest no crowns see this photo that i find

In that case it's called a tompion (or tampion) and they were used to prevent the barrels getting fouled and also to make the ship look good when alongside. The Black Swans had 4" guns (102mm) so if yours is around that size, that's what you've got.

I have limited knowledge of these things but I believe large bore guns had the tampion inserted into the barrel but smaller bore guns had a cap. As 102mm (4") guns refer to the bore, the barrel would obviously have a larger diameter so 130mm would have fitted over the barrel.

Where's the gunners when you need one?

Thanks for the phots, he had the left hand one framed on the wall at his house, plus one of them in Venice.

Unfortunately he crossed the bar 6 years ago and would have had the answer straight away as he was a gunner.

Hi i know this was a long time ago you were looking for royal navy ships badges/crests, i have a collection of more than 80 from my dad, they are made of plaster of paris, hand painted and beautifully mounted on wood, if you are not still interested do you perhaps know anyone who is. I live in south Africa

Hi i know this was a long time ago you were looking for royal navy ships badges/crests, i have a collection of more than 80 from my dad, they are made of plaster of paris, hand painted and beautifully mounted on wood, if you are not still interested do you perhaps know anyone who is. I live in south Africa
It'll be a bit long but do you have a list?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
(granny) History 15
S History 20
S The Quarterdeck 4