Ships boats where are they now?

Discussion in 'History' started by BONNACON, May 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trying to find info on ships boats from the 60's and 70's up to the point they were landed post Falklands.
    Who made the motor cutters (I think they were 32") and the whalers.
    Also Bristol and the carriers had a larger flat bottomed ships boat.
    Anyone with pics of them now, possibly civvy owned.

2. Only one I can think of was the "Fairley Marine Huntress"

Dunno about the rest

3. 32 inch cutters? Spinal Tap Class...
    I doubt whether the records you seek will have passed review yet, and even if they have been processed, may not have been retained. Naval Historical Branch has some earlier 20th Century (up to the forties iirc) ships' boats records, but they were 'saved from a skip' and are incomplete

4. There is a Fairey Huntress in the marina at Whale Island. I was told it may have come from a CVS.

5. We have 12 motor whalers at BRNC.

6. Cheverton's on the Isle of Wight made the "skippers" boats used on Leanders, GMD's and a few others during the70's and early 80's...hope this link works.
    Redirect Notice

7. AAF

AAF Badgeman

4 boats on GMD, Huntress the officers boat, 2 crew boats and seaboat, crew boats and seaboat powered by Enfield HO2's, maybe Foden FD 4/6 in Huntress. Cold start for the Enfield you had to use ether canister to get the thing going, seaboat was hand cranked and always gave your arm a kick when it backfired on ether start. Often wondered where all those boats ended up.

Edited to add,,,reading janners link it was probably Perkins engines in the Huntress.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There are 3 or 4 Huntress's running out of Weymouth as Bass fishing boats, they don't look anything like they did when the mob had them, all of the upper works stripped off and a forward wheel house added.

A mate of mine had, until recently, a fully original Huntress, also kept at Weymouth, He sold it recently and I don't know where it is now.

There is a Fairey owners club The Fairey Owners Club