Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ships boats where are they now?

BONNACON

Midshipman
Trying to find info on ships boats from the 60's and 70's up to the point they were landed post Falklands.
Who made the motor cutters (I think they were 32") and the whalers.
Also Bristol and the carriers had a larger flat bottomed ships boat.
Anyone with pics of them now, possibly civvy owned.

murchadh

32 inch cutters? Spinal Tap Class...
I doubt whether the records you seek will have passed review yet, and even if they have been processed, may not have been retained. Naval Historical Branch has some earlier 20th Century (up to the forties iirc) ships' boats records, but they were 'saved from a skip' and are incomplete

AAF

War Hero
4 boats on GMD, Huntress the officers boat, 2 crew boats and seaboat, crew boats and seaboat powered by Enfield HO2's, maybe Foden FD 4/6 in Huntress. Cold start for the Enfield you had to use ether canister to get the thing going, seaboat was hand cranked and always gave your arm a kick when it backfired on ether start. Often wondered where all those boats ended up.

Edited to add,,,reading janners link it was probably Perkins engines in the Huntress.

Last edited:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
There are 3 or 4 Huntress's running out of Weymouth as Bass fishing boats, they don't look anything like they did when the mob had them, all of the upper works stripped off and a forward wheel house added.

A mate of mine had, until recently, a fully original Huntress, also kept at Weymouth, He sold it recently and I don't know where it is now.

There is a Fairey owners club The Fairey Owners Club

NAVAL GAZER

Bump. Anyone know of an RN sea boat. Whaler,launch, etc for sale? Older the better although something off a type 12 or later with provenience would be good an earlier ships boat would be good. I'm looking for a project with a bit of history. As long as it is seaworthy I will consider it.

Sumo

War Hero
There are 3 or 4 Huntress's running out of Weymouth as Bass fishing boats, they don't look anything like they did when the mob had them, all of the upper works stripped off and a forward wheel house added.

A mate of mine had, until recently, a fully original Huntress, also kept at Weymouth, He sold it recently and I don't know where it is now.

There is a Fairey owners club The Fairey Owners Club
@janner would your mate be called Dave?

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
He prefers David, but probably the same man, He's hoping to have the use of another boat this year.

Sumo

War Hero
We worked together at BAE Lyons Way
Very nice man.
He brought an ex pusser engine for his boat unused out of stores, he was hoping for more speed, that did not happen, I explained he would need to run it in, and then it still may not be faster, he also changed his prop, that also slowed him down. He was a boat man, transport for the 2012 Olympics.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
bargee1937 Ships Boats of the 1930's and 1940's? History 10
soleil Royal Navy - Broadsheet 2009 - Ships/Boats/Aircraft Pull-Out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
T Diesel Boats & Ships Current Affairs 3
buggerit84 Warfare officer - ships or boats? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
M Qualified Deck Officer, Thinking of moving from Cruise Ships to RFA RFA 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during August 2020 MoD News 0
cheddarman Ships Bell Submariners 7
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during July 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during June 2020 MoD News 0
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 2
D HM Ships at speed History 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during April 2020 MoD News 0
F Joining as a Systems Engineer as an ETO on Cruise Ships RFA 4
MoD_RSS 19,000 British travellers return from cruise ships after major international effort MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during February 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over-70s and at-risk Brits advised against travelling on cruise ships MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backs cleaner planes, ships and automobiles with £37 million boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during January 2020 MoD News 0
M Ships Photographers in WW2. History 10
soleil PlymouthLive: "Royal Navy Too Short Of Ships To Police Fisheries After Brexit, Lords Told" The Fleet 4
C Last time a squadron of ships sailed together apart from the Dartmouth Training Squadron in the 1960's Miscellaneous 7
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during December 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during November 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during October 2019 MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The Little Ships. The Book Club 10
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during September 2019 MoD News 0
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during July 2019 MoD News 0
E Tracing ships visits - Help needed The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during June 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during May 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during April 2019 MoD News 0
Obsidian00 Ships Badge/Crest History 5
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during March 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during February 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during January 2019 MoD News 0
J Best ships to deploy on Joining the Royal Navy 12
G New Ships RFA 9
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during December 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary secures ships to protect home waters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK calls on Russia to allow ships access to Ukraine’s ports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK calls on Russia to allow ships access to Ukraine’s ports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during October 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK set for new Birmingham warship and will keep amphibious assault ships, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0