ships badges/crests.

Discussion in 'History' started by (granny), Jan 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I served on LCT 4064, HMS Sallyport, during the Suez Campaign of 1956. The Captain held a competition to design a ships badge/crest. This was my winning design. How official can it be? I painted these two badges sat alongside the Canal after the shooting had stopped.
  2. A bit of design flair there Granny; uncomplicated but strong. :thumbleft:
    Have you produced anymore design/artworks that might interest us?
  3. That's cool. It got me thinking, where do Ship's crests come from? I would imagine that in this day and age the mob spends obscene amounts of money having the crest drawn up by an independent artist or graphic designer.
  4. Doubt it 2_D_D I do not think we will be giving any new names to ships/boats for a very long time to come, so they will just inherit the old crest/badge along with the name
  5. I am/was a technical illustrator but no bastard ever paid me obscene amounts of money. :cry:
  6. Fair point, well presented.
  7. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Every ship has (used to have ??!!) a Ship's Book, normally kept by the Engineer Officer, containing all sorts of fundamental data compiled during building. It also included the official drawing of the ship's crest (heraldically, properly 'badge'). This would have been designed in consultation with the College of Heralds. Designs were normally (standfast the shape which has varied over time and with classes of ship) a hand-me-down if available, but, for instance, the cruiser Tiger had a different badge from her battlecruiser predecessor, whose 'tiger' looked like a demented frog. The designs are Crown Copyright and there are various books listing them including 'Badges and Battle Honours of H. M. Ships' by KV Burns (Maritime Books 1987) . This probably doesn't include such things as funnel badges which are home-brew.

The dry docks in Simonstown and Singapore Naval Base used to have an array of badges painted along the inside of the dock walls.
  8. Bermuda still has the old dockyard wall similarly adorned
  9. (granny)

We were only given our names (the LCT's) on our way to Suez. So I doubt that there were any badges issued. I am not sure of the fate of the 'Sallyport' but I doubt that she survived very long after we got back home. Maybe some bright spark knows what happened to her?
  10. As a Scribe, the Ship's Book for the ships I served in was always kept in the Ship's Office and I had to keep it up to date with such as the Captain's name, but then things change over the years. Now no Scribes!!!
  11. I seem to remember Musacat had some 'Shipitti' on the rock faces
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

13. I remember the rock faces in the Kor Quai basin Persian Gulf where there were ships names and badges dating back to the end of the 1700's.
    They used to take you straight in and out as it was reckoned to be the oven of the earth.
  14. There is a comittee somewhere that deals with ships names, badges and trophies etc. Good work if you can get it! When we brought the Ocean out of build, amongst all the normal "ships book" stuff handed over by Vickers was a brass pattern of the ships crest, for making moulds of the ship's crest.
  15. (granny)