Ship visit.

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by (granny), Sep 7, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

At long last, with hopefully good health and a following wind, I am off to sunny Chatham on the 19th Sept. I shall be visiting my old ship HMS Cavalier who I last saw laying alongside in Singapore in 1959. God..where did that intervening 55 years go? I shall enjoy a quiet reflective moment then have fun at the 40's frolic.. lol
    Wish me luck and fair weather.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

The whole dockyard is worth at least a day wandering around it, RNLI part of the museum and some of the art galleries and models are brilliant, go careful on the diesel boat though you may find that the joints aren't so supple as they used to be when it comes to the hatches.
  3. Enjoy Granny.;)
  4. Hope you have a good time :)
  5. Then you can nip into the old PEMBROKE and run up and down the parade ground steps - just for old times sake!

Have fun!
  6. (granny)

RUN ?? if only. Wonder if I should take my Bosuns Call and render hands to dinner or something! :D
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I believe HMS Gannet is also there. When doing Pt 2 at Daedalus we had to do one in four weekends chipping paint on her (1986). She was birthed next to the Jolly Roger pub in Gosport.

Would be nice to see her now she's done, please take a look and let me know how she is?

Have a great trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk View attachment 12523

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  8. Have a great day Granny. I was only thinking of the Cavalier this p.m. She earned her keep in spades, hence her nick name "Pistol Packing Mama"
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Did my A/S/Lt time in Cossack - but you would say ah, that was the modernised version (Co vs Ca).
  10. Good luck granny. Have a good day and I hope you don't get the wind following or otherwise.
  11. (granny)

Would I say a thing like When were you onthe Euyalus Seaweed? I served on the Euryalus in 1952 I think it was. Just before she went down to South Africa. :D
  12. I never got a chance to visit somewhere by ship. I have an ambition to visit by ship. Can you give me any suggestions, precautions which must follow during shipping?
  13. Throw up on the lee side.
  14. Thick brown paper, some bubble wrap, lots of packing tape and maybe even some string - all these work for me.
  15. (granny)

I can report that I had the BEST day in years when I arrived at Chatham Historic Dockyard on Saturday. It was 'Salute to the 40's' weekend so everything that I saw and did, sent me off on a nostalgia trip. HMS Cavalier looked so smart, it was like coming back aboard after a long weekend ashore. Those intervening 55 years disappeared as I wandered around, soaking in the memories of far away places, feeling the echo of old shipmates reverberating around the compartments. There has been lots of changes to the between decks structure over the years. Including my old messdeck, which was actually closed to visitors as some Sea cadets were in residence or visiting. I soon found an understanding guide who, listening to my tale, eventually allowed us to go below. My messdeck had changed completely but in my mind I could still remember where the messdeck tables etc were. Was it just me that had grown somewhat rotund in my old age or were those corridors and spaces always so small? For me it was a visit that I had promised myself for years and thank goodness I did make it. I shall probably never go back to her again. I have said my farewells and, soft old sod that I am, even saluted as I left.
    A very big WELL DONE toThe Chatham Dockyard Trust and all those old 'Cavaliers' who have, over the years, made such a great job of preserving her. May she stay here for 'donkeys years' to come and give pleasure, as well as a glimpse into the past, for generations to come.
    • Like Like x 6
  16. How many times did you enjoy shipping? Why do you like it? I will go to enjoy the shipping in next the month with my elder brother. These days I can't go for this activity because, my brother is on vacations and went to bus tour from los angeles to san francisco. When he came back I will go for it.
  17. :DGranny clad all your expectations were met, and your nostalgia took you where the legs no longer can?:p