Ship sizes

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by C20, Aug 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. C20

C20

OK apologies if this is a daft Q but here goes..

Everywhere I look (British Warships, RN website, Navy News poster from last year) the dimensions of ships seem to be different. For example the web site (and handbook)gives a Type 22 as 5300 tonnes, Warships as 4200, and the poster (the figures I've been going off since last August) as 4600.

Which would be the most accurate? It's sodding annoying to have learnt one set of figures and to discover they may not even be right. :evil:

Cheers guys

2. At a wild guess I'd say the handbook and website, at least then you can say they didn't even know :wink:

EDIT: On a side note, what's Peterhead like? I've been invited to stay with my uncle up there for a few months whilst awaiting my dates for the RN and/or drinking myself stupid if I fail.

3. C20

C20

F*ck, f*ck and did I say f*ck.

Kinda suspected that would be the case, oh f*ck back to square 1

4. Bluff it! You being a chemist and all. point 1. A ship doesn't measure 5300 tonnes. It displaces weight. Archimedes principle Asolid body when immersed in water will displace its own weight thereof. Unless your a Jan dockie.

Point 2 Chemist answer Salt water at 0.9%w/v or fresh water. Or given the plimsol marking (Google that one) Point2.

5. Chillax. I could (and probably am) be wrong :)

6. C20

C20

Oh there's a loaded question ;) There ain't a lot to do up there in "The Heed", but pubs we do have :) It's OK if you can ignore the stink of fish and the snobs who think they are better than anyone else :) Aberdeen is nice tho...

7. You had me there.

8. It's easy really.
    4200 = displacement weight of vessel.
    4600 = same + fuel, stores, and ammunition.
    5300 = all-up weight when full complement of big fat newbies has joined.

2BM

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Spot on. :lol:

10. 3 different displacements, but do not forget there were 3 different Batches of the Type 22, I suggest you do a bit of digging on the Batch 3

11. Thats 700 tonnes of P7/P8 Newbies then. a bloody good answer.

12. C20

C20

My bad :)

This one I like :)
    May be taking it a tad too far ;)

Dr Z: Don't think I'll ever be chillaxed again - or at least not until my AIB is out of the way ;)

Thanks for your help tho guys, and for not pisstaking too badly ;)

13. As a chemist couldn't you make something for that? If you're not that good I could ask my mate :oops:

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

That's feck all! When I was on the Massive... :roll: :wink:

15. Could '5300' not also included projected 'end of life' weight, ie how much the ship will displace as extra systems are added etc? I remember that a Leander would add 1 to 2 tons topweight per year just from paint, and then there's all the 'come in handy' gear that a warship accumulates over its career. I have seen ships with gross weight displayed instead of displacement, and lets not forget (as NASA did once) confusion between imperial and metric measurements - tons vs tonnes. That's without getting into the difference between long (imperial) and short (US) tons, though to be fair the US continue to use the 'long' ton for ship displacements.

16. Wikipedia can also provide some answers! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_(ship)

17. C20

C20

Oh my dear God 8O

Dr Z, I'll take up your offer, get your friend to make me a strong draught of something calming, I'd currently be more likely to blow up the lab :D

18. Displacement weight will vary according to the amount of water displaced. not the weight of stores placed on/in the ship.
    Archimedes principle was " When an object is wholly or partially placed in a liquid, the upthrust it receicves is equal to the weight of the liquid displaced.
    ie drop a ton of lead into the oggin, it will not displace a ton of water, place a cubic meter container into the water it will displace 1000kg of water, 1030kgs of average salt water, The Dead Sea is about 1090kgs per cubic meter. But WTF !

So the answer would be " In the region of 4500 tonnes" and having spoken to an oppo who was on the AIB panel until quite recently, his answer was.."We're looking for potential officers not fu*kin trainspotters" :eek:

19. C20

C20

Thanks for the Spidiver, that is very good to hear :)

20. Well, I apologise if I have exasperated you. Only trying to provide some information for those interested.

Spidiver, quite agree with what you're saying. Am I correct in assuming the more you load a warship, the lower it will sit in the water and therefore the more it will displace, hence the definitions I posted?

And yes, I do know the reasons behind load lines!