Ship identification - Plymouth Harbour, 1915

Discussion in 'History' started by fyrftr422, Mar 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am hoping to identify a few ships in pictures that my Wife's Great Grandfather took as he arrived in England as part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1915.

The following three pictures were taken by Samuel Martindale (404400 - CEF) aboard the RMS Hesperian, travelling from Montreal, Quebec to Plymouth, England. He arrived at Plymouth Harbour on August 28, 1915 and took these 3 pictures on or shortly after August 28. Upon arrival, he was transfered to the 14th Battalion (Royal Montreal Regiment) and served in France in their Signals Section.

The pictures were too large to post individually on the thread so I added them to a page I made. the link is ...

I think I have the 1st and 3rd identified, or close to it and would like confirmation, if possible, the 2nd one is eluding me.

#1 is, I believe, one of 2 Astraea-Class Protected Cruisers ...
    - HMS Cambrian which was being used as a Training Ship for stokers at Devonport
    - HMS Flora which was used as a harbour service/workshop ship at Devonport and was renamed the HMS Indus II in April, 1915

#2, still unknown. Having a tough time with this one, trying to find a double stacked ship with anchor ports so low on the bow and lookout tower up front and back

#3. Looks to be the HMS Vengeance (Canopus-Class Battleship), as it had Boiler defects and had to be refitted till December 1915, at Devonport, all other ships of this class were elsewhere or sunk at the time.

Thanks in advance for your efforts here.

2. That is one of the sites I have used to help identify the ships I think #1 and #3 are. I still visit it to try and get #2, but with no luck yet.
  3. Edgar-Class Armoured Cruiser? Not a lot of info on each individual ship in the class during he war though.
  4. Someone on another forum suggested the HMS Sutlej, a Cressy-Class Armoured Cruiser. The profile certainly fits, the 2 low anchor ports, possible side sponsons, the mast and the 2 portholes above the anchor ports. I never considered looking at ships other than 2-funnel ones, maybe this was being refitted and needed a couple funnels removed during the work.

Also have to consider the Diadem-Class Cruisers, look eerily similar to the later Cressy-Class. Damn, this is harder than I thought it would be.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013