Ship ID

Discussion in 'History' started by scouse, Jul 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any kind sole ID this ship for me entering Milford Haven today???

Attached Files:

2. On e of the new Omani ships? Built by BAE in Pompey

• Like Like x 1
  3. Don't know,but it's an ugly fecker!

4. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Warships, even diddy ones are supposed to be fit for purpose. ( My irony meter was switched off there ). Beauty comes way down the requirements list.

6. Actually, you are wrong. A warship does have to be functional, BUT it also has to be 'pretty' so the tax payers who contributed to the huge costs 'like' it.

I cannot remember where that was stated, as I did attend a course on warship design in the States, so it may have been there. It certainly wasn't when in the T45 project! (tongue firmly in cheek!)

7. Which with a little bit more digging leads to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakhoda_Ragam-class_corvette

It would appear that:

Nakhoda Ragam class corvettes, Barrow-in-Furness, 2 February 2013 1. Offshore patrol vessels built by BAe Systems at Scoutstoun for the Royal Brunei Navy who decided not to accept them despite, after a dispute, having paid £600 million for them. They have been laid up for sale at Barrow since 2007. In 2012 it .was reported that Indonesia would acquire them for a fraction of their original cost - NB that the ship at right has had its Brunei pennant number (30) removed. They are equipped with Exocet and Sea Wolf missiles and a 76mm gun, which has been removed.

Barrow-in-Furness ships, 2013 - andrewstransport's Photos

That's me done on that question - next please!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Actually Scouse, that's a more interesting ship than you might think. It's one of the Brunei corvettes built by BAE/Yarrow and rejected by the RBN because they were "allegedly" 25% overweight, "allegedly" very noisy back aft and many other "alleged" problems. They have spent the last six years or so in Barrow docks laid up waiting for a buyer. That buyer is rumoured to be Indonesia, which is lucky for the RN as at one stage they were being seriously touted for our use and would have made the old Mermaid look like a good deal in comparison........

Must be on trials post recommissioning.

Nakhoda Ragam-class corvette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 1
  9. NAB - we seem to be posting concurrently - think we have it covered between us. As you say an interesting story behind the ship.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I doubt it from that angle, but I reckon a fish could tell you more about the Hull Outfit and props though... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  11. SEP86 - yeah. Hadn't realised they'd lost the OTO76, but then their mag didn't have the required blast vent route to atmosphere when I saw them some years ago. Suspect either BAES or Brunei flogged the mounts to get some cash back anyway.