Shin splints!

Discussion in 'Joining the Royal Navy' started by Will21, Aug 24, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, I was hoping to get an answer from someone who passed out of raleigh recently. I've had shin splints for several months even during my prnc. I think of have recovered now as I have been running every few days and feel fine. However I am worried it could come back depending on how frequent I run or do any other weight baring phys like in circuit training. I start in a few weeks and would like to know is running/circuit training every day, or is it every few days or does it depends on what week your on?
    Thank you
  2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

compression sockl help prevent a re occurrence
  3. I'd also be interested in hearing just how often you will be running at Raleigh so that I can better prepare myself. Right now I am running every other day, the one day of rest in between allows my legs to recover nicely.
  4. You will run almost everyday whether it be in trainers or boots. Normally because you are late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hahaaa, fair enough. But in terms of scheduled pt how often?
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

It won't be just scheduled PT as you know it. You will be running (doubling) for all sorts of reasons, some a lot harder than standard PT.
  7. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

On the upside, if you end up medically discharged, you won't need to run for a bus as they stop outside Raleigh every 30 minutes.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Speak to your recruitment office if you are concerned, you can always defer your start date and give your self a fighting chance, once discharged medical I am not sure if you can rejoin? Remember Dame Kelly Holmes recovered from shin splints and went on to win 2 Olympic gold medals?
  9. Thanks people. Just one last question, after basic training, what happens whilst waiting for phase 2? If everything goes alright and I pass basic training, I would pass out around the end of November and wait to start 6 months of college in gosport.
  10. I would advise postponing your entry date mate. The chances of getting shin splits is extremely hard. You'll have routine phys more than 4 times a week which is cardio intensive. If you end up getting shin splints down there you're going to end up being transferred out of main stream training and dumped into a rehab division while doing a physio package which could even lead to you going to a medical board depending on the severity of your injuries.

Phase 2 you will have routine phys 3 times a week (not as intensive as phase 1) and one of which is recreational sports.

Wish you the best matey!
  11. What kind of running trainers do they supply you with, decent or cheap and nasty crap? I once got a £30 pair of cheap adidas and they totally wrecked my shins, no cushioning at all. After switching to an £80 pair of asics it felt like I could run for hours, makes all the difference. I doubt recruits will be supplied with £80 trainers though..
  12. What's the point of worrying about something that is out of your control? You'll wear what you're given.
  13. more curiosity than worry mate..
  14. From memory, and in keeping with usual MOD practice, they invest in bespoke trainers that basically do the running for you.

The MOD have a rich history of "money no object" when it comes to equipment. So many times I've been to slops to draw some stores, praying that they give me the cheap stuff to save the ol' guvva-ment a few shillings, and they've sent me off to a podiatrist in Oxford Street with a note saying "Give this rating the best. The very best. Yours, HM Govt."
  15. Ha,you were seen off. I was sent to the podiatrist in Harley Street to get my prescription for bespoke trainers. Very nice and the coffee in the waiting room came with choccy biccies. I hope you spent your voucher for Sports Direct wisely.;)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sports Direct? What's that? My chauffeur pointed at something that might have been a sports supplier, but I didn't have time to stop and look as we were en route to Hatton Garden to pick up my issued diamond encrusted dolphins.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Is that all you get nowadays? I'm glad I left when I did.:)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Black Magnum running trainings. These ones to be precise ( but they aren't that great.

If you got £50 spare buy a pair and get use to running in them if you're really that worried about it.
  19. I swear to Neptune himself - if im ever duty in Raleigh and I find anyone in them blocks who has bought a pair of trainers from Amazon to "get used to running in them" I will make it my mission to find them and....

....this is online isn't it....

Congratulate them on being a great bloke and their forward thinking.
  20. What you worried about, we had purser daps for gym work and a pair of boots for everything else, what's the world coming too?