Shifting waiting times and Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by masha35, Dec 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off..thanks to all who hae helped me on here, it's been invaluable. Passes interview and all other tests for AEt and no wating for call to Raleigh.

Here's the thing though. When I took my test in November I was told id be waiting about 8 months from that time for Raleigh and that I was on the list. The other day at the interview the waiting times had changed again and it was implied I might have to wait more months until later next year. I was surprised, not by the waiting times changing, but by the fact that I am to be affected, seeing as I'm on the list from November. Thought any changes since my test didnt affect my waiting time and only those coming after me. Is that correct? I guess not, as apparently JUNE/JULY intake is full already!

I dont mind waiting a bit longer but am worried that if any further changes apply to me too, not only newbies, this could go on forever. I could wait 6 months and then be told the goalposts have shifted again and in my case I could be too old if it gets delayed much longer. Then I'm in the shit.

Any thoughts on this.....

cheers

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Waiting times for entry are normally advised at the time of applying, however there are predicted reductions in manpower requirements throughout 2010, which could well mean than unless you have an allocated entry date to start Phase One training, you may have been affected by the reduced numbers required this next year.

Certainly applicants for AET this month can expect a 13 month wait to join, those having only just completed all elements of selection likewise.

3. yes, i could have fallen victim to cuts etc. Just spoken to the Careers people and they are bidding for me but also on 'standby' /high priority because of my age thing. So could be any time really. Strange thing is that I put down ct as second choice (then later asked to do that instead of AET)and they never offered to bid in the same fashion for that(ie priority/ready to go). I think maybe that my choosing CT was a mistake at application time because given the waiting times then, i would have already been ineligable because of the age thing by Raleigh time. . Whereas with AET that was not the case and its only with these waiting time changes that im now in potential peril so they feel obliged to push my case. I dont dare ask about the CT thing for fear of marking myself as a troublesome one. I made it clear I still fancied it at interview and they didnt bite. They must have their reasons I suppose.

4. I think CT has a longer waiting time than AET by something like 5 months last time i checked

5. yes, it does.....from my test day it would have taken me 3/4 months over the age limit, wheas AET wouldnt have. Its only now with changes and cuts that AET has pushed me even further back than before. Its fate i reckon..........AET is the one

6. Ninja_Stoker

Those nearing the upper age limits can make themselves ineligible by having the audacity to increase their age during the selection process unfortunately.

Another technician trade maybe worth considering - seeing as Comms Techs serve on boats too, is ET(WESM) which is only a 6 months wait.

It's up to the individual whether they wish to play roulette with regard branch waiting times versus eligibility with regard age. Whilst a cancellation may occur an older applicant will not be given preference to enter ahead of a younger, equally eligible applicant on grounds of age.

Best of luck.

7. ninja am 24 (25 in feb) i am waitin for my join date for ws which is a 2 yr wait if thats the case i will be 26 goin on 27 by time am eligibil to go in will this afect me?

8. sorry cn you clarify that.......not sure what you mean

9. Think he means have a look at weapons engineer tech on submarines (boats)

10. aha it was the comms tech refernce in there that threw me (cos thats 18 months). Sounds a bit soft but the idea of boats doesnt massivley appeal.....think id go demented for 3 months under the sea....

11. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, it will mean that by the time you join there maybe a couple of extra candles on your birthday cake. Other than that, no.

As you had already previously considered Comms Tech (CT), who can often be required to serve on submarines, the ET(WESM) trade may also possibly appeal as they fix the CT's kit (sometimes).

13. so considering that my bidding was officially initiated this week after the interview the worst case scenario would be a Raliegh date of January 14th 2011. My 37th birthday is on 4th of january that year and im supposed to be at Raleigh by 36 yrs 11 months and thus over the age limit!!! So in theory i could hope and wait for a lucky earlier break or find myself on december the 4th with no place to go cos im too old. That is grim, especially as I cant be sure either way now. Its a real lottery. Hmmmmmmmmmm making me very very edgy.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Looking on the bright side, you have already been technically over the upper age limit 4 years ago, then it increased from 32 to under 37.

If all else fails the RFA recruits beyond the age of 60+

The RNR recruits up to age 40.

Best of luck.

15. glass half full:)

16. Ninja............is that 13 months at latest or 'at least'/minimum? I hope things will be ok and thats worst case.....im really brickin it now..........

17. I was told at my interview last week that I will be waiting 3 months for an entry date, is this from the date of interview?

Writer

18. if thats what they said at interview then YES it is from the interview date. They do your bidding after you have passed the interview. So if told three months then that should be the time. What job are you going for?

19. i started my application for ET(mesm) in may and due to medical conditions etc only 2 weeks ago completed everything, i am now waiting for my date any idea on what date i would be looking at? Would the waiting go from may or 2 weeks ago?