Shetland WW1 RoH

Discussion in 'History' started by Cramond Brig, Dec 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think I possibly have another instance of the author misreading someon'e handwriting. The entry is about [FONT=&quot] Bo'sun[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Matthew Williamson [/FONT][FONT=&quot], who was the son of James Williamson, and Elizabeth Hay Spence Williamson, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]7 Reafirth, Mid Yell.[/FONT] He was l[FONT=&quot]ost at sea[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on 11 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Aug[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ust[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 1916[/FONT][FONT=&quot], a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ge 41.[/FONT] The name of the ship is given as [FONT=&quot]ss[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lodener [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]but I have been unable so far to find a vessel of that name, or even one resembling that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

2. CB

This is going to be another Lloyd's List/Lloyd's Register one, I think. I'll have a look at August 1916 for you over the next few days.

3. Appreciate that, thanks.

4. I have found one vessel named LODANER (note the A) which was sunk on 16 April 1918

If LODENER existed perhaps she was a local fishing vessel

5. CB

Confirmation.

Williamson, Matthew

Boatswain

Mid Yell, Shetland

Lodaner

11 August 1916

At Sea

(Drowned) Missing

I currently have Lloyd's List for August 1916 in front of me and I can see the Lodaner leaving Delaware on July 21 1916, calling in at Philadelphia, ultimate destination Havana.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  6. Thank you. That explains it. I had wrongly assumed that he went down with the ship.

Another casualty I looked at today was on HMS Avoca. A large number of the crew had Spanish flu (over 100) and he died and was buried at sea three hours later. The next day his effects wete sold. I see from the ship's log that appears to have been standard practice.