Shetland WW1 RoH

I think I possibly have another instance of the author misreading someon'e handwriting. The entry is about [FONT=&quot] Bo'sun[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Matthew Williamson [/FONT][FONT=&quot], who was the son of James Williamson, and Elizabeth Hay Spence Williamson, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]7 Reafirth, Mid Yell.[/FONT] He was l[FONT=&quot]ost at sea[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on 11 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Aug[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ust[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 1916[/FONT][FONT=&quot], a[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ge 41.[/FONT] The name of the ship is given as [FONT=&quot]ss[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Lodener [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]but I have been unable so far to find a vessel of that name, or even one resembling that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I think I possibly have another instance of the author misreading someon'e handwriting. The entry is about Bo'sun Matthew Williamson , who was the son of James Williamson, and Elizabeth Hay Spence Williamson, 7 Reafirth, Mid Yell. He was lost at sea on 11 August 1916, age 41. The name of the ship is given as ssLodener but I have been unable so far to find a vessel of that name, or even one resembling that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
CB

This is going to be another Lloyd's List/Lloyd's Register one, I think. I'll have a look at August 1916 for you over the next few days.

I have found one vessel named LODANER (note the A) which was sunk on 16 April 1918

If LODENER existed perhaps she was a local fishing vessel

CB

Confirmation.

Williamson, Matthew

Boatswain

Mid Yell, Shetland

Lodaner

11 August 1916

At Sea

(Drowned) Missing

I currently have Lloyd's List for August 1916 in front of me and I can see the Lodaner leaving Delaware on July 21 1916, calling in at Philadelphia, ultimate destination Havana.

Last edited:
CB

Confirmation.

Williamson, Matthew

Boatswain

Mid Yell, Shetland

Lodaner

11 August 1916

At Sea

(Drowned) Missing

I currently have Lloyd's List for August 1916 in front of me and I can see the Lodaner leaving Delaware on July 21 1916, calling in at Philadelphia, ultimate destination Havana.
Thank you. That explains it. I had wrongly assumed that he went down with the ship.

Another casualty I looked at today was on HMS Avoca. A large number of the crew had Spanish flu (over 100) and he died and was buried at sea three hours later. The next day his effects wete sold. I see from the ship's log that appears to have been standard practice.