Sheepdogs and Wolves

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Guns, Apr 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

I've posted this on ARRSE but know not all of you visit the site.

It sums up who we in the military and to some extent the police are. It is taken from a Lt Col (rtd) Dave Grossman. I am reading his book "On Combat" that is required reading for many Armed Forces or Police Forces. Will let you know about the book. Anyhow which one are you?

The Sheep go about their lives, vaguely aware that the Wolves exist, hoping that they never have to actually see or encounter one. There are considerably more Sheep than Wolves and the vast majority will live out their days having never seen one, although most will know another sheep that has had such misfortune, but they're not really too bothered, as long nothing happens to them. The Wolves prey on the Sheep, occasionally picking one or two off here and there, usually when it's dark so the majority of the flock don't know about it. The Wolves tend to lurk away in the shadows so the Sheep don't notice them, although they have no problem coming out in the open every now and then as they know the Sheep won't really do anything to stop them if they scare them enough.

The Sheepdogs however, know that the Wolves exist, they know where they live, sleep, eat and play. They know that the Wolves will prey on any Sheep, but that they prefer the smallest, weakest of the Sheep who can do nothing to protect themselves, and the Sheepdogs hate the Wolves for it. The Sheepdogs however, have a bit of a problem. As much as they want to protect the Sheep, they tend to look a bit like Wolves, and the Sheep don't really like that, and a few don't trust them because of it.

The Sheepdogs also serve to remind the Sheep that Wolves exist - something they would rather ignore and forget. Most of the Sheep know that the Sheepdogs aren't Wolves and whilst most tolerate, a few welcome them, as long as they never have to actually deal with one. The few remaining older Sheep know that the Sheepdogs are around for a reason and like to see them, because most have seen or experienced over the years what the Wolves can do if there are no Sheepdogs to help them. They also know that the Sheep can become a Sheepdog with the right attitude and a bit of training but the majority of the Sheep don't like to think that they could ever become something that looks like a Wolf and so they distance themselves from the thought.

The Sheepdogs accept that most of the Sheep don't really like them or want them around, but they hang around on the outskirts of the flock anyway because they know all too well what the Wolves will do if they didn't bother. The Sheepdogs try and walk through and speak to the Sheep, to reassure them that they will do everything they can to keep the Wolves away, but still the Sheep are wary of them.

Every now and then the Wolves come and the Sheepdogs try to fend them off, most of the time the Wolves leave after seeing the Sheepdogs, but occasionally there'll be one or two Wolves that think they can take the Sheepdogs on and they'll have a go. The Sheep will see the fight between the Wolves and the Sheepdogs and it scares them, with teeth and claws everywhere, it serves to remind most of them that the Sheepdogs can be just as vicious as the Wolves (if not more so) and that they were right to keep a distance from them.

Even though hardly any Sheep get involved in the melee, most will look on and continue to not trust the Sheepdogs, a few of the Sheep who are saved by the Sheepdogs will be happy as they realise how close they came to becoming supper to the Wolves but they'll mostly keep it to themselves as they know the rest of the Sheep don't like to hear too much about it because it scares them. One or two of the Sheep might get injured by the Wolves despite the best efforts of the Sheepdogs, a few will occasionally blame the Sheepdogs for not protecting them enough, some will blame the Sheepdogs for their injuries after they had stepped in to protect them and fought with the Wolves on the Sheep's behalf in the first place.

Despite this though, the Sheepdogs continue to try and protect the flock, all too aware that the Sheep don't really like them or want them around, no matter how often they try and tell them that the Wolves are about and that the Sheepdogs are there to try and help them.

2. I know what you are relating to and the 'passage ' does tell a story.

However --I keep sheep and the only protection from predators that they get is me . My dog is my working animal to help me collect or control the flock. Some sheep especially the tame ones aren't particularly 'scared ' either and will face the dog .
    Beware of sheep with lambs they are very protective with their young.

Predators very seldom take healthy animals they prefer to get the weakest ones -its easier and less hassle.

Life on the farm !!!

:nemo: :nemo:

3. Guns - excellent piece.
    Makes you wonder why us sheepdogs bother at times doesn't it?

"One or two of the Sheep might get injured by the Wolves despite the best efforts of the Sheepdogs, a few will occasionally blame the Sheepdogs for not protecting them enough, some will blame the Sheepdogs for their injuries after they had stepped in to protect them and fought with the Wolves on the Sheep's behalf in the first place"

Is there an Independent Sheepdog Complaints Authority? Can sheep sue?
    I think we should know.
    Eat more lamb - they're a bunch of ungrateful b#stards!

4. I remember a while back on a recce for the walking group asking the farmer[god love em] if the bull in the field was ok. Sure no problem. Anyways I kept my eye on the bull looking at the barbed wire circling the field wondering if I could still leap barbed wire.

Praise be I made it out of the field safe and sound. Crossing the stile into the next field I was attacked by two nasty sheep I kept shouting vegetarian vegetarian which has helped in the past but fell on deaf ears this time. I was really feared.

Last time I was that frightened was the time I took a lollipop pf the nephew for laughs little shite came at me hell for leather.

5. So long as the sheepdogs don't forget that the sheep are the important part of the equation.

6. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Very true point Uncle_Albert. And that is when it breaks down and the Sheepdogs lose the trust of the majority of the Sheep, say by missing why they are there and not some glorified Social Services trying to put the worlds ills to right.

Not, you understand, like the current UK Police Services. They have lots of Sheepdogs who do what they do and want to but their bosses/political masters seem hell bent on turning the sheep against them.