SG2 Intake

B

Bleeh

Evening all, I have a question for the guys on here who have done / are doing their initial SG2 training at Raleigh.. Basically what is it like and what does it involve on a day to day basis? Is it mainly classroom lectures from 9-5?
I start my RFA SG2 training at the end of August and apart from the sea survival stuff, I have hardly any info on what the training actually involves.
Grateful for any info,
Thanks.

A (very, very) rough description is life is a bit like college, if being at college was your (and everyone else's) job.

The first five weeks have mostly been a classroom lectures 8-4, time outside of that is usually your own and can be spent eating/drinking/exercising/exploring the wonders of Torpoint.

You'll be doing "functional" skills for three of the first four weeks which is pretty much "back to school" ICT/Math/English at a week a piece. It's nothing too serious and certainly nothing to worry about.

Week five to ten you'll start doing everything involving your actual job, ships, and seamanship, from Ropes to RAS'ing (dependent on week). Lots of theory work and lots of practical as well.

Don't expect to hear anything more about Raleigh until 2-4 weeks before you go. It's a bit of a pain and you'll think you'd hear more from them, but you won't.

B

Bleeh

I done the AIB twice and failed twice and have just completed phase 2 as SG2. From my experience I wouldn't say it goes against you. If anything it shows you are determined to join the RFA no matter what path you decide to take. The AIB isn't easy as I can clearly vouch for that.

As exjenny said... You get your epaulettes on the last week of phase 2. You still continue training on your next ship and after that 4 month trip you come back to Raleigh to sit your EDH. Don't think that training ends after phase 2 and you are then qualified because you have different epaulettes. That's far from the truth

I've just realised who you are.

Hope you are enjoying your time off matey.

dch2005

Midshipman
I done the AIB twice and failed twice and have just completed phase 2 as SG2. From my experience I wouldn't say it goes against you. If anything it shows you are determined to join the RFA no matter what path you decide to take. The AIB isn't easy as I can clearly vouch for that.

As exjenny said... You get your epaulettes on the last week of phase 2. You still continue training on your next ship and after that 4 month trip you come back to Raleigh to sit your EDH. Don't think that training ends after phase 2 and you are then qualified because you have different epaulettes. That's far from the truth

Thanks for the reply Darren. The AIB was incredibly difficult. Although I was going down the deck route I now wish to change to the motorman route. I know that I would prefer this career path. Do you think that would go against me?

Have you enjoyed it so far?

Thanks

Batman n Robin

Lantern Swinger
Raleigh facilities are good... we got to use the Leading Hands bar, there is a gym with weights, rowing machines, treadmills etc. Food is pay as you dine but you can claim it all back as long as you eat in Victory Galley. Wifi available in exeter block at 15 quid a month. There is an ethernet connection in dreadnought block if you are lucky enough to get in there.

We were able to go home every weekend n the RFA paid for the tickets etc so u are not having to stay at Raleigh un
Ess you want to.

Any info just pm me.

B

Bleeh

I am joining in september too but it says on my employment offer, 21st september. See you soon shipmates! Lol

That's the spirit!

Top tip: Learn as much Matelot (Royal Navy) slang as you can, and make sure to use it around the instructors as often as possible, they are very keen on using it themselves and it'll put you ahead of the group quickly.