SG2 Intake

Discussion in 'RFA' started by dch2005, Jun 3, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys

Long time since I last posted on here!

2 tears ago I did my AIB for deck cadet and failed. I was asked to come back the following year again, but decided against it due to circumstances at home.

Even though I failed this, it didn't stop me from wanting to join the RFA as its the only career path I have ever wanted to join.

After some real thought I realised that officer is too much of a jump for me and I would rather be more hands on as a rating. I would love a career as a motorman as I have an interest in engineering, through my father being an engineer in London. However I have no experience in this field.

Firstly I wanted to ask you guys if going from AIB as Deck cadet to SG2 will go against me and secondly whether having no experience will do the same?

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Another forum member is now an SG2 after originally going for his AIB twice. No reason it should hold you back at all.

Lack of experience should not be an issue either.

Just the thoughts of a blonde, ex wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. That's good to hear. Am I correct in saying you are currently doing your training exJenny?
  4. exJenny

I finished a few months back.

5. Nice one. How are you finding it so far? I'm guessing you will start your first 4 months at sea soon as well?
  6. exJenny

Well worth the effort. Good luck with your application.

7. If you've finished your training what epaulettes you go on Jenny? ^~

I'm currently RFA SG2 writing this during my Phase 1 training at HMS Raleigh, so if you've got any questions, ask away.
  8. exJenny

The same as before. Only get epaulettes with the shackle upon completion of phase 2. We earn them, not like these flag wagglers who get given theirs day 1 week 1 in a cracker.
  9. Ah, so what you are saying is that you haven't ​finished your training?
  10. exJenny

Phase 2 is the practical consolidation of phase 1 training and 4 months sea time.
  11. Which is training...

I know I'm being pedantic, but you did it to me.

So there.
  12. Evening all, I have a question for the guys on here who have done / are doing their initial SG2 training at Raleigh.. Basically what is it like and what does it involve on a day to day basis? Is it mainly classroom lectures from 9-5?
    I start my RFA SG2 training at the end of August and apart from the sea survival stuff, I have hardly any info on what the training actually involves.
    Grateful for any info,

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  13. A (very, very) rough description is life is a bit like college, if being at college was your (and everyone else's) job.

The first five weeks have mostly been a classroom lectures 8-4, time outside of that is usually your own and can be spent eating/drinking/exercising/exploring the wonders of Torpoint.

You'll be doing "functional" skills for three of the first four weeks which is pretty much "back to school" ICT/Math/English at a week a piece. It's nothing too serious and certainly nothing to worry about.

Week five to ten you'll start doing everything involving your actual job, ships, and seamanship, from Ropes to RAS'ing (dependent on week). Lots of theory work and lots of practical as well.

Don't expect to hear anything more about Raleigh until 2-4 weeks before you go. It's a bit of a pain and you'll think you'd hear more from them, but you won't.
    • Like Like x 2

14. I've just realised who you are.

Hope you are enjoying your time off matey.
  15. I'll send you a message.

16. Thanks for the reply Darren. The AIB was incredibly difficult. Although I was going down the deck route I now wish to change to the motorman route. I know that I would prefer this career path. Do you think that would go against me?

Have you enjoyed it so far?

17. Hi rob, what date in Aug do u start? I was down to start on the 31st Aug and then they emailed me moving it to the 31st September
  18. What's the faculty's like at raleigh for likes of laundry, accommodation and chilling so when not working?
  19. Just sent you a PM Jones1987
  20. I am joining in september too but it says on my employment offer, 21st september. See you soon shipmates! Lol