SG2 April Starter

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Batman n Robin, Nov 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got my provisional offer through in early October for an April start, my background checks on the dsv portal are saying completed.... Do they send you for your ENG1 medical when the checks are done or can they send you before they are complete?
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

My medical was before I got my SC. The occ health staff in Portsmouth booked mine. I'm sure they won't mind you dropping them an email to see what's happening.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  3. My medical is December 13th.... they emailed me to arrange it on November 11th.

How long did your SC take to come through, it was about 4 weeks for mine if the DSV site is correct.
  4. exJenny

If it's changed from In Progress to Completed then it's job done. Mine took about 4 weeks.

5. Yeah ..... looking good from here on in unless they find something wonky in the medical.... must remember to paint the wooden leg again!!
  6. exJenny

Are you ex RN? It's pretty much like the discharge medical.

7. Yeah ex-RN.... sounds pretty straightforward from what i have read on the internet.
  8. Well it's nice to see there is going to be at least one other person starting in April, I was starting to get worried it was only me!.

The only thing I'm hung up on at the moment is getting my TB jab sorted - I never got it in School and it's taken some finding to sort out a place that'll do it.
  9. In the arm, normally.
  10. exJenny

You can get a lovely amount of gunk from the aftermath of a BCG jab. I remember at school we would all press down from the top of the lump and see how much would come out. I now have a nice scar because of that.

11. exJenny

Why won't your local doctors do it?

12. I was told to book my medical towards the end of my checks. It's not necessarily the case that when the DSV portal says 'complete' that the SC check is done- mine said complete and then a week later I had a letter requesting more information.

As for BCG, I too had to get that done. It was a nightmare to find somewhere to do it, cost a fortune, was a nightmare - discharging gunk like an alien during BLD and still isn't healed properly 2.5 months later.
  13. Ended up having to go private for Yellow Fever and also blood grouping. My doc's practice seems to do very little other than sign dole wallers off.

At least i should get some of the money back for them and the medical.
  14. exJenny

Seems I was lucky with my docs. It's all worth it when you get your contract!!

15. That's pretty standard, GPs only give BCG to babies these days - I was surprised at how difficult it was to get that jab. I was also stung by a 'worldwide shortage' of typhoid vaccination, luckily my practice nurse was pretty switched on and had a solution for that one (her son was ex RN so was super helpful). I ended up going private for: yellow fever; Mantoux test; BCG & MMR. I know I could've got MMR on NHS but due to the issue of live vaccines etc, I opted to pay for it and have it the same time as the yellow fever.

I'd not had any jabs since 1991, the RFA was good for me - it made me man up and deal with my needle phobia. Plus there are now many thing I can't catch, bonus.
  16. Too Much Info

Where are you joining from Bleeh? PM me as per next post if you dont wanna say on here!
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  17. While you're about Bleeh, seeing as anyone who can access this site (everyone in the world in fact) knows where you're going and on what date, once you've posted where you're coming from for all to see, stick down your bank account number and D.O.B.. Or alternatively PM your personal details, far safer.
  18. Ahhhh good point, well made
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  19. Well, as far as background goes I'm as fresh as a daisy. (Some sailing, but otherwise)

So, let's hope I don't get seasick.