SG2 application

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Sterland2013, Apr 19, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning all! Spent a few months mulling it over trying to make 100% sure this is what I want before I go for it, decided it is and I'm going to apply..

Problem is I left it a bit late and now they aren't taking on SG2 ( story of my life ) .. Any idea when they will be? Is there a set intake time or do they just come up at random?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

2. I've heard rumors about November, but I can't really give you a source for that.

It's always best to apply for something and then say no if you change your mind, but I'm sure you've figured that out by now.

3. Thanks I'll keep my eyes peeled then! Yeah I've realised, ah well we learn from our mistakes eh? .. As punishment I shall now have to spend even longer in the personal hell I call a job :)

4. Well be aware, I applied for SG2 last June (I think) - I'm starting training early May.

5. Yeah I've been informed it's a long old application process! .. Gives me time to work on my maths for the RT anyway.. The only maths I currently do is take a deep breath and count to 10.

6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

There are usually 2 courses per recruitment drive.

7. Two courses.. As in two job roles? ( I'm being blonde aren't I? )

8. exJenny

2 entries, 2 classes.

Recruitment last May/June was for January and April, now May, entry dates.

9. Ah I see! Makes sense.. I shall bide my time and wait to pounce.. Metaphorically I don't intend to attack anyone..

10. exJenny

Good luck. It's worth the wait.

11. Thanks I'm hoping so, anything is better than what I'm doing now lol

12. Honestly that's the wrong attitude to have. I'm not saying this to be snarky I'm just saying it because if they find out you feel that way you'll probably fail at interview.

Also, it's going to take so so long between now, the next recruitment drive, and starting training - why don't you just change job for the meantime?

• Like Like x 1
  13. exJenny

I agree. You have to really want the job, not use it as a get out from what you currently hate. The RFA is advertising more these days, more and more folk are finding out about it so the competition for only a few places, in comparison to RN jobs, is increasing.

14. That's not the case, as I said I've spent months mulling it over, researching the RFA, finding all the information I could before finally deciding I was going to apply. I sent off for an application last May but didn't send it as I didn't want to apply without first having a bit of knowledge.

I could change jobs yes, but I'd be changing it for something else I don't really want to do. I want an actual career with prospects of advancement and if I can see the world whilst doing it even better. End of the day I just don't want to be like most people I know, in a dead end job, going nowhere and doing nothing, having never done anything.

15. Which is a much better answer than the one you gave earlier

16. Hi exJenny.

Does this rule apply to the cooks recruitment/training too???

17. exJenny

I am not sure. Depends on how many of each branch they want, how many courses are programmed in. I can only speak from SG2 recruitment experience.

18. Is SG2 same as Qualified Deck Rating Seaman Grade 1B??

19. exJenny

No. SG2 are trainees. SG1B's have their EDH.

20. Thanks for that. RFA website takes you to the role of SG2 when you click on the qualified deck rating seaman grade 1b vacancy.

So was a little unsure.