Several RFA questions

Hi, new member here with a few questions which may seem basic for you, but I cannot find out the full answers.

First of all I wanted to start as a Seaman Grade 2 Deck Rating. Does this position no longer exist? Has it been replaced by Seamanship Apprentice?

As I understand, (if I join as Seamanship Apprentice) I spend 10 wks at HMS Raleigh. Do I get any qualifications/certificates here and which ones?

Then it's a Week and a half sea survival at HMS Excellent in Portsmouth including firefighting, damage control, gas mask fitting and testing, security module etc.

So is that 11 and a half weeks in a row, with no leave? Do I get any qualifications/certificates here and which ones? Is this the STCW certs?

Then you all (your course) go on your first 4 month deployment together with a mentor. Any leave in between again and do Seamanship Apprentices do this?

Then back to Raleigh for for weeks phase 2 where you do boatwork and your EDH exam.

Then 4 weeks leave then you join the same ship for another 4 month deployment.

You may get you tickets all signed off in that trip so you become an SG1 but that depends on your ships programme.

Then another 4 weeks leave the join a ship for 4 months where you will hopefully be signed off competent and then into the

3 months off 4 months on routine.

On completion of your Apprenticeship, you may be offered a full Company Service Contract as a Seaman Grade 1AT. So from the first day I turn up at HMS Raleigh, how long is my apprenticeship?

Is Seaman Grade 1AT an Able Seaman?

When do I get my Navigational Watch Rating Certificate.

Sorry so many questions.

For what it’s worth, the shore based training is Monday - Friday. At Collingwood, the base shuts down pretty much from Friday afternoon - Sunday night / Monday morning. Your weekends are your own. I’m almost certain Raleigh will be the same.

Yeah well it seems people on here can't answer any questions put to them. I'll try again. If I join as an apprentice seaman, how long will I stay and apprentice? After that, do I go to SG2? How long at SG2 before becoming an SG1?

Seadog

War Hero
Yeah well it seems people on here can't answer any questions put to them.

I'll try again. If I join as an apprentice seaman, how long will I stay and apprentice? After that, do I go to SG2? How long at SG2 before becoming an SG1?
Sorry that the question / answer turnaround times don’t meet your requirements.

With your attitude, the answer to your ‘how long’ question is;

while your arse points downward, never.

Its not the question/answer turnaround times, its the fact that no-one can answer the questions. And your attitude is just as bad.
Me thinks most of you are just pretending to be/have been in the Navy, that's why no-one can answer, and simply insult. Pathetic.

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
Its not the question/answer turnaround times, its the fact that no-one can answer the questions. And your attitude is just as bad.
Me thinks most of you are just pretending to be/have been in the Navy, that's why no-one can answer, and simply insult. Pathetic.
If you don't like it, - **** off and join the army.

JamesBlackadder The Seaman apprenticeship lasts for two year.At which point they will keep you on at Seaman grade 1AT or send you back to civvy street.Seaman SG2 doesn't exist now.