Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Don87, Dec 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been trying to find out about the SETT and what is involved.
    The best info I could find is here Escape Training.html

Could anyone tell me what it's like to do the "Pressurised Escape Training (Buoyant Exhaling Ascent)" ?

Even though I'd say I was a confident swimmer I find the idea of it to be quite fekin scary! Compressed lungs and exploding lungs if you mess up x.x
  2. Don't worry about it, you will be (hopefully) fully instructed on how to do it even shown. Just enjoy your first annual bath. bath time had got down to once a year (maybe) when I was in.
  3. Don't worry about it its the best ride of your life, just listen to the instructors.

I enjoyed it so much I volunteered to become a SPAG member, unfortunately it never happened.

:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:
  4. Just remember a minimum 6 pints of beer the night before and the ability to lie about it in the morning are an essental part of SETT drill.

Do not piss in the tank.
  5. You do not even have to be able to swim. Just head toward the circle of light. You're going up anyway so enjoy the view. Great fun!
    The absolute worst part is death by vugraph in the's not the hours that are boring during this's the minutes! :pukel:
  6. Don't worry - the swimboys in the tank will be happy to assist you should you forget to exhale in the prescribed manner!
  7. Fear not my son. If it was a funfair ride people would be queuing around the block and shelling out good money for the privilege.

It is very easy doing either the free or hooded suit ascent all you have to do is keep breathing out if a free ascent or just breath normally in a hooded ascent, as the hood acts as the relief valve. The swim boys are very very good at what they do and have had less accidents with students, than you can count on one hand, in over fifty years.

In a suit you come up at about 2 metres a second and nearly pop completely out of the water. The next question is always "When can I do that again Chief".

8. Its BRILL! - he says a career non-swimmer.

Just obey the laws of physics (and those of the staff) and you'll be shooting out of the water before you know it, and asking to go round again.

This is NOT an experience one can easily realate to someone who has never been there. Another reason why The Trade is such an exclusive club.... Take a gooood deeeep breath....
  9. Its great fun, its just a shame its a PJT now and you only get to do it once every few years.

Now 2 days long as well and it really is death by viewgraph!!!!
  10. The aquatic equivalent of a sky dive except the landing is infinitely softer and it's all over too soon. Just follow instructions. There are plenty of experienced swimmers with you in the nice clear warm water to make sure nothing goes wrong. It's a unique experience so enjoy it while it lasts.

P.S. In case no one tells you (joke), remember to exhale all the way up during a free ascent.
  11. Don't worry about it pal, when you are dressed in the suit, plugged in, stood in the tower waiting for the lid to open, and your ringpiece is giving it 50p/20p just remember that every single RN submariner (and loads of foreigners) from the current Rear Admiral down for the last fifty years has been stood exactly where you are standing. As the other guys have told you the swimboys are their to look after you, above all enjoy, only submariners and a select few (mainly Blue Peter presenters!) have done it!
  12. Become a Clearance Diver and you'll do the Dunker too!
  13. NAh - ANYONE can do the Dunker - I have my certificates to prove it :dance:
  14. Hi Don.

The Submarine Escape Training Tank (SETT) is an interesting facility. Currently it forms an integral part of SM training. Without this qualification you cannot be a submariner.

First of all you will recieve a comprehensive medical. This includes something called a vitalograph which measures the speed and volume of air you are able to expel over a given time. You need to be open and honest with your doctor about all aspects of your health and well being.
    Secondly you will have a full plate chest x-ray.
    If both of the above put you in the clear, provided your teeth are ok (no fillings required to be done) then you have the green light.

You will be given a date to attend SETT.

The course is one week. Yes, one week.

You are not to consume alcohol during the duration of the course.

Listen to all the instructors - the medical officer has the final say in all matters. No arguments.

It is a good course. You will enjoy it.

You will do two ascents from 9 metres (head in water - blow out all the way to the surface).

Then you do one ascent from 18 metres (as above).

Then the big one. 30 metre ascent in a suit. The suit will be pressurised which means that your head will be in air so you just breathe.

The water is warm. None of the divers use breathing equipment. You will be asked at the end "Do want another go?" to which you will reply "Yes - too right!!".

They will answer "Well, come back in four/five years for your requal".

If you wish to know more, please ask...PS - I am not a SETT instructor but i am involved with Phase Two submarine training and regularly brief trainees prior to their departure for SETT.

Hope this helps.
  15. Ah, but have you done both? Anyway, I'll bet you've never done the Underwater Knife-fighting Course taught by 49 Para. :rambo:
  16. they do, the dive centre in Hamble offer it.

17. I am getting old,it used to be Two 30fts and a 60ft ascent followed by 100ft in a suit !!

Dont they put you in a decompression chamber and take you down to 30 ft before you even go near the tank anymore then?

And as someone on here said,its really hard to describe what its like to someone who has never experienced it.
  19. During the flood up, when the water is swirling about your legs and you're staying ahead of the pressure by just pushing your lower jaw forward (it can be done...just takes practice), when do you begin to wonder when that upper lid is going to open. With me it was just as I was on tiptoe (stumpy git me) and the hood of the suit was way above me and residual water inside the suit was starting to go down my throat.

I know the hatch will open....I just know it will.....I know it will anyyyyyyyy second now! WHOOOOSSHHHHHH, SURRRRRRRRRGE, GURRRRGLE and away like a leaping salmon. Only to come to a full stop whilst they connect you to another steel wire, this one takes you to the top of the tank in a straight line. They don't want you bouncing off the sides and chipping paint OR putting in dents in tax payers property!

Great fun, again....again Again AGAIN......I want I want I want.....that's your lot sonny...see you in four years time! Awwwwwwww c'mon. sod off!
  20. That's what I wrote only metricatleded.

You may do the recompression chamber before attending SETT but this might on occasion be done AT SETT.

Whilst we're on the subject - what would be your feelings/thoughts if there was to be a change in the need for pressurised training? i.e. Certain persons whilst apparently fit & healthy are from time to time found to be PMU due to not conforming to the strict medical guidelines - why not give these people a 'concession' as it all the training but not the pressurised bit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.