SETT Closure

After all those soapdodgers have been through it what are the going to do with the water? Can't dump it in the sea, it will decimate the marine life off the Hampshire, Dorset, Devon coasts............. :)

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
After all those soapdodgers have been through it what are the going to do with the water? Can't dump it in the sea, it will decimate the marine life off the Hampshire, Dorset, Devon coasts............. :)
Just shovel it out to landfill, after over 40 years of use we didn't so much float to the top, more climb ;)

BillyNoMates

War Hero
And why can't it be converted into a thrill seekers fun ride eh?
People are being flung off roller coasters and the like every now and then, so letting Joe Public have a go can't be any riskier.
I'm sure there would be a few ex tankies who wouldn't mind earning a few quid in their spare time.
As for the odd ride taker who ends up in a decompression chamber - well, they could sign a bit of paper before having a go.

cheddarman

Midshipman
I think there were very few of us who didn't enjoy this little exercise. Bit nervous the first time in 1958 but then looked forward to it every few years.

Waspie

War Hero
The aircrew dunker, (underwater escape module), used to sit on top of the escape tower at HMS Vernon before moving to Yeovilton,
The top 20 feet was bad enough for me thank you!!! As for escaping from the bottom!!!!
Nah, not for me ta!!
Shame all these fun things have to end!!!!!

Alfacharlie

War Hero
The aircrew dunker, (underwater escape module), used to sit on top of the escape tower at HMS Vernon before moving to Yeovilton,
The top 20 feet was bad enough for me thank you!!! As for escaping from the bottom!!!!
Nah, not for me ta!!
Dunker at Yeovs was horrible.
Good hangover cure though.

Sumo

War Hero
Nah, not for me ta!!
WAFU pussy ;)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I've done both - the tank as a sun-dodger and the Vernon bath as a Ship's Diver and I loved them both! I found the dunker worst as I (foolishly!) assumed the the instructors would ease us in and give us a heads up before the first dunk....... NOT SO!

Great fun when in the back seats.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS MoD News 0
onions Current Affairs 20
V Submariners 116