SET Application

Hi all,
Just after some advice I put my application form in originally for weapons technician but was rejected as allocation filled it came back on the recruitment portal.
I then did another for SET (seemed somewhat similar) I have my interview coming soon and as I’ve been scouring the forum/RN website for my research and so on, one makes it look very interesting with plenty of opportunity yet - RN website, I’ve read a couple of posts/threads on here which don’t look promising/not what I want to do, my main motivation is wanting to make a lifelong career but also with plenty of travel (hopefully) and progression, I’m self motivated and eager to learn new things. I’ve read into what there duties are but does anyone have any insight into exactly what they do in reality? Is there many opportunities for deployment or has anyone done the job?
Also, should I progress through interview stage and see how it goes is there opportunity to change branch post interview?
I have an engineer background and really love what I do at the moment, I just don’t enjoy working for who I work for & feel I’m in a rut, hence the career change and new opportunities with a bit of luck,

Thanks in advance all.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Your first sentence doesn't make sense, do you mean ET(WE) (rating) or officer?

The part where you say the allocation is filled doesn't make sense either, it's ongoing recruitment.

What branch is SET?, I've never heard of that one.

redmonkey

War Hero
Book Reviewer
SET is the new term for Naval Airman (survival equipment)

You will be looking after the survival equipment for aircrew. This includes the goonbags, life jackets and PSP, the little inflatable dinghy they sit on in the aircraft.
I know that SET are drafted to the carriers but I am not quite sure which other ships. They are not drafted to smaller units like frigates.
Ashore the main bases air Yeovilton and Culdrose.
I can try and dig out more info when I get back to work.

Your first sentence doesn't make sense, do you mean ET(WE) (rating) or officer?

The part where you say the allocation is filled doesn't make sense either, it's ongoing recruitment.

What branch is SET?, I've never heard of that one.

Yeah ET (WE) my mistake.

I’m not entirely sure what happened either but my application got shutdown on the portal and I had no contact at all with my AFCO about that role, obviously this was prior to my application for SET, so I just never pursued it any further and put in the new application. I was happy with my choice it’s only after rigorously searching this forum has some differing opinions to what I was thinking. Obviously everyone’s opinions are different but just wanted to get a little more insight if poss.

Survival equipment technician (SET) is under engineering branch. Going in as Rating,

Cheers

Waspie

War Hero
Everyday is a school day, cheers to you and @redmonkey :),

If engineering is your interest I wouldn't have though SE would be the ideal role @GasmanComeSET
Survival Equipment are more likely to get intimate with a industrial sowing machine than anything overly technical. I spent a year as a mechanic in the SE section many moons ago, my son was also SE for a few years before he clicked there was limited chances of promotion. (Small branch).
With the F35 I imagine the chances of getting a bit more technical is enhanced but not by much.
If your thing is rubber, then I suggest SE or SET in new money could be a future!! Packing life rafts, Oooooo, my favourite!!! Packing parachutes!!! Oh - bliss. Making up flight suits for aircrew - Oh my - life just doesn't get any better!!!
But end of the day, enough folk want to do it. Just don't expect rapid promotion!!!

Edited, in my day. SE/SET came under Fleet Air Arm (Non Technical). Don't know if that has changed. They shared the same drafter as Rating Aircrew, Naval Airman/(Handlers). All non technical trades.

Dusty70

War Hero
I always thought a SET application was something you put into the Joss just after you started deployment..........................???

Really glad I asked, thanks for the advice, blunt but helpful!

With my interview looming what would be my best bet, continue with interview and ask during interview or ring my AFCO to see what he suggests prior to the interview?

Chris P

War Hero
Survival Equipment are more likely to get intimate with a industrial sowing machine than anything overly technical. I spent a year as a mechanic in the SE section many moons ago, my son was also SE for a few years before he clicked there was limited chances of promotion. (Small branch).
With the F35 I imagine the chances of getting a bit more technical is enhanced but not by much.
If your thing is rubber, then I suggest SE or SET in new money could be a future!! Packing life rafts, Oooooo, my favourite!!! Packing parachutes!!! Oh - bliss. Making up flight suits for aircrew - Oh my - life just doesn't get any better!!!
But end of the day, enough folk want to do it. Just don't expect rapid promotion!!!

Edited, in my day. SE/SET came under Fleet Air Arm (Non Technical). Don't know if that has changed. They shared the same drafter as Rating Aircrew, Naval Airman/(Handlers). All non technical trades.
What Waspie says, although a long time ago, SE was not very engineering orientated in my time either, I would've thought that if you in engineering then there will be better opportunities in the mob than SE, but I could be proved wrong although can't see much engineering in LSW/PFD's whatever they are called these days..

Chris P

War Hero
Really glad I asked, thanks for the advice, blunt but helpful!

With my interview looming what would be my best bet, continue with interview and ask during interview or ring my AFCO to see what he suggests prior to the interview?
Talk to your AFCO if you can prior and look at alternatives so you have some other objectives to go for.

Latest Threads