Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serving Soldier to Lead Anti-War Demonstration

alacrity174

War Hero
sparkerbuntingnowcis said:
trelawney126 said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/8322676.stm

I wonder if he'll be made duty on the day of the march, just to avoid any embarrasing situations.

That is hopefully what will happen, best all round I think. After all can a aerving soldier lead a march of thi skind and not expect repercussions?

slim

War Hero
Why shouldn't a serving soldiier be allowed to protest against the war?
So long as he has and will do his duty and go where and when he is told to go, and fight when ordered then I see no reason why he should not be allowed to state his case.

However in this case the soldier deserted and should no longer be regarded as a soldier.

Flagdeck

War Hero
He's been on the run for two years...deserter.... let his mates down.
no credibility, no honour, no guts !
If he'd just come back from the front line I'd back him all the way, but to skulk away until it suits him cuts no ice with me.

A

angrydoc

He's got previous form of disobeying direct orders - not sure if making him duty will stop him.

I hope he's not expecting much support from others in the Armed Forces.

finknottle

Banned
I wonder who recruited him to lead the march? Putting that aside I find putting him out the front a tad pathetic.

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
Don't understand whats going on. If he is on the run, and has been for two years, how come he has not been arrested? They must know, with all this publicity, where he can be found. Why isn't he in custody awaiting his Court Martial?

Guzzler

War Hero
(granny) said:
Don't understand whats going on. If he is on the run, and has been for two years, how come he has not been arrested? They must know, with all this publicity, where he can be found. Why isn't he in custody awaiting his Court Martial?

I fully agree. Completely baffled that this is allowed to happen.

(granny)

RIP
Book Reviewer
stirling said:
He has returned to normal duties awaiting court martial in November.

Surely he has had restrictions placed on his movements due to the nature of the charge? To answer my own question.. obviously not if he can take part in this march. The mind boggles. Does he think that his participation will be good for his case?

fishhead

War Hero
(granny) said:
stirling said:
He has returned to normal duties awaiting court martial in November.

Surely he has had restrictions placed on his movements due to the nature of the charge? To answer my own question.. obviously not if he can take part in this march. The mind boggles. Does he think that his participation will be good for his case?
He probably thinks with some justification that whatever he does now will not make his situation any worse.It also should be remembered that he is awaiting Court Marshal so in theory at least, he is innocent.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
If the guy had previously stated his "disgruntlement" without a previously piss-poor disciplinary record & prior to being given notice to deploy, then he would possibly have a slither of credibility, despite the fact that the armed forces are supposed to be apolitical.

As it is, one can only assume if he's had previous active service in the area with a genuine political insight, then perhaps he should have submitted notice to quit before finding out he was about to be deployed.

The word 'coward' springs to mind.

trelawney126

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
If the guy had previously stated his "disgruntlement" without a previously piss-poor disciplinary record & prior to being given notice to deploy, then he would possibly have a slither of credibility, despite the fact that the armed forces are supposed to be apolitical.

As it is, one can only assume if he's had previous active service in the area with a genuine political insight, then perhaps he should have submitted notice to quit before finding out he was about to be deployed.

The word 'coward' springs to mind.
He'll be offered a job as Mr Galloways MP bitch. I'll settle for your definition for both "men" Ninja

Troglodyte

Lantern Swinger
This guy is a rank coward, not even a front line soldier, just a rasher splasher who needs three years in M.C.T.C. It is my earnest hope that he never fathers children, what a stigma to grow up with, "Yer dad,s a chuffin yellow belly". :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

onions

GCM
So how long does it take the Army to set up a Court Martial? Surely this prat should be under close arrest or some other form of custody.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Any serving RM gone across to RN recently The Corps 5
C Is it time to re-ban women from serving on submarines? Submariners 30
MoD_RSS Addressing suicides among veterans and serving personnel MoD News 0
vauxhall Public Consultation on Legal Protection for Armed Forces Personnel Serving Abroad on Operations The Quarterdeck 1
C Still serving? The Quarterdeck 7
P Membership of organisations whilst serving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
JBNVY18 Joining the RN while partner is serving too! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
N Speaking to serving officers Joining the Royal Navy 1
Z Training Management Officers (Serving) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Natural England’s longest-serving Chair retires MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Natural England’s longest-serving Chair retires MoD News 0
W Glaucoma whilst serving Health & Fitness 4
M Self-harm and suicide attempts while serving Submariners 7
soleil BBC R4: Woman's Hour: Women Serving In The Royal Navy Current Affairs 2
Sumo New help line for Serving and Ex Service MoD News 0
2 Serving matelots and Veterans The Quarterdeck 31
SA-Sharky Questions for serving female, or husbands with wives in the navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
Jack-The-Lad HMS GANGES - Still serving Bases / Shore Est 15
Simon - Quest Magazine New QUEST: essential course and career information for serving and ex-Service personnel Current Affairs 0
NateDogg Any serving Aircraft handlers on here? or anyone applying? Joining the Royal Navy 49
MichaelBully1 World War 2 -keeping diaries whilst serving in the Royal Navy History 4
Hooly what campaign medals are currently being issued to Royal Navy serving members? Miscellaneous 8
Hooly What do serving ratings think about 22 year REME (Army) joining on a direct scheme as PO's Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 148
J Serving married couples UPO 5
M Serving a a ship, free time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
C Best places visited while serving? Travel & The Great Outdoors 57
S Becoming a homeowner whilst serving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
soleil Metro: "Pagans And Witches Serving In The British Military" MoD News 5
C Experiences while serving in the FAA? The Fleet Air Arm 39
S Transfer Criteria for Serving and Ex Serving members to the RNR/RMR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
MoD_RSS News story: Sergeant Beth Wilson on serving in Afghanistan MoD News 1
soleil Belfast Telegraph: "Voyage Ends For Royal Navy's Longest Serving Woman" Bases / Shore Est 0
A Career Prospects for Serving MA's - Sorry this is in the wrong category. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
soleil Guardian: "How Do I Buy-to-let While Serving In The Royal Navy? Finance & Pensions 15
D communicating with family and friends while serving at sea? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
D Maths GCSE resit whilst serving The Quarterdeck 6
soleil Telegraph: "Forces Serving In Libya To Be Told: You Face The Sack" Current Affairs 4
N Ex-, Serving, and yet to be? The Quarterdeck 26
C Still serving RAF SNCO interested in helping SCC SCC and URNU 17
NotmeChief Linsay Lohan serving time. Diamond Lil's 8
DannyW SBS Serving Time The Corps 24
etsandy Serving JR SCC and URNU 15
Squirrel Anyone serving in Naples? The Fleet 2
mrLESNAR 5 retention year bonus (serving notice) Finance & Pensions 0
F Sex offenders 'serving in forces' Current Affairs 41
M Are there any serving marine's here ? The Corps 5
R Help Needed from serving welfare Rep. The Quarterdeck 2
S Flight Aptitde Tests - Serving Pilots Pref. The Fleet Air Arm 16
PartTimer (Very) long serving RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 24
Joint_Force_Harrier Serving Personel "Cheap Microsoft Software"!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Fleet Air Arm 12