Service record abbreviation--TX

Perry

Lantern Swinger
What branch and rate?
again please, but the response by BH looks good, you said he left after a further 18 months, when was that?

Ulsinus

Midshipman
Thank you all for your interest in helping me resolve the Tx issue.
Please see the following extract from his service record for more information.
His substantive rate was AB.
IMG_0028.jpg

Perry

Lantern Swinger
So going on what you have previously posted and the snippets of the SC that you have shown us I can categorically state that he was transferred from whatever rate and branch he was in during feb 45 and became a patrolman.

He would have to relinquish whatever rate he was to join the patrol service. He undertook his training at HMS Drake and was then promoted to acting leading patrolman in aug 45 and it looks to me as he served until he left the service in july 46.

So that would have been his demob date.

If you can scan a more in depth copy of his SC we can probably tell you some more.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
So going on what you have previously posted and the snippets of the SC that you have shown us I can categorically state that he was transferred from whatever rate and branch he was in during feb 45 and became a patrolman.

He would have to relinquish whatever rate he was to join the patrol service. He undertook his training at HMS Drake and was then promoted to acting leading patrolman in aug 45 and it looks to me as he served until he left the service in july 46.

So that would have been his demob date.

If you can scan a more in depth copy of his SC we can probably tell you some more.
That's why I thought the TX referred to a transfer rather than a Terminal date.

Ulsinus

Midshipman
I would like to understand the significance of the phrase on the service record.
'Until the end of the period of the present emergency (vol)'
I presume in 1941 as an eighteen-year-old you could either wait to be called-up for military service or you could just volunteer.
I assume the call-up process was something like this:
Letter received telling recipient to report to an assessment centre.
Assessment carried out. Candidate expressed preference for which service.
Candidate goes away.
Then further letter saying he has passed medical and which service he was to report.
I assume the volunteer route was similar but you didn't wait to receive the call-up letter.
The '(vol)' presume indicates volunteer.
Does this mean he volunteered without waiting to be called-up.
Or did the RN consider everyone 'volunteered' because they chose the service over the army or RAF.
As always grateful for the help and guidance of forum members.
RBSR.jpg