service numbers????

War Hero
dunkers said:
we won't have a front line if we can't get our pay system to work.
But is the label actually important to making the pay system work? Note that I mean pay system as more than just the box of tricks in Gosport, although one might wonder how much ''customisation'' of JPA has led to some of the problems that people have experienced?

hi
I argree with dunkers, we won't have a front line if the guys and girls on the ground don't get paid. the JPA by the sound of it has been brought in to make it easier for the civil servants to keep a track of us where ever we go. I remember the problems we all had when pay 2000 came in. (but thats another story) it takes time to adjust.
bit anoyed about not getting a unquie service number though, i was looking forward to that.
ship_rat

Bluetot

Lantern Swinger
My how things have changed, I really must be getting old, in my day D stood for Devonport, P for Portsmouth, C for Chatham and indicated the home port of the individual rating.
i.e. D123456Q
Incidentally my was D081 etc

'C' for the Divison Official Number was discontinued in approx 1961 when that division was closed. I enlisted in 62 and was issued with a 'P' number.

All service numbers were then later prefixed with 'D' followed by a check letter at the end, I believe because it went technical (?) and probably became called the Service Number.

I can't say I'm too impressed with these new 'Employee numbers' - isn't it meant to be a career ?
The next thing is you'll be called a 'Human Resource'....... :wink:

:smile:

neil6814

Badgeman
I joined in 1952. My number was prefixed by D/JX.
D was for Devonport which later changed to P when I transfered to Portsmouth.
J was for continuous service. ie. staight 12 as opposed to SS wich was for 7 and 5.
X was be cause we joined after the Invergordon mutiny which was about pay cuts to the Navy. Anyone who joined after the mutiny was on a different pay scheme. Some time in the late 50s or early 60s the X was dropped because there was nobody left who was in before the mutiny.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Submariners 5
D The Quarterdeck 1
D Bases / Shore Est 17