service numbers????

War Hero
dunkers said:
we won't have a front line if we can't get our pay system to work.
But is the label actually important to making the pay system work? Note that I mean pay system as more than just the box of tricks in Gosport, although one might wonder how much ''customisation'' of JPA has led to some of the problems that people have experienced?

hi
I argree with dunkers, we won't have a front line if the guys and girls on the ground don't get paid. the JPA by the sound of it has been brought in to make it easier for the civil servants to keep a track of us where ever we go. I remember the problems we all had when pay 2000 came in. (but thats another story) it takes time to adjust.
bit anoyed about not getting a unquie service number though, i was looking forward to that.
ship_rat

Bluetot

Lantern Swinger
My how things have changed, I really must be getting old, in my day D stood for Devonport, P for Portsmouth, C for Chatham and indicated the home port of the individual rating.
i.e. D123456Q
Incidentally my was D081 etc

'C' for the Divison Official Number was discontinued in approx 1961 when that division was closed. I enlisted in 62 and was issued with a 'P' number.

All service numbers were then later prefixed with 'D' followed by a check letter at the end, I believe because it went technical (?) and probably became called the Service Number.

I can't say I'm too impressed with these new 'Employee numbers' - isn't it meant to be a career ?
The next thing is you'll be called a 'Human Resource'....... :wink:

:smile:

neil6814

Badgeman
I joined in 1952. My number was prefixed by D/JX.
D was for Devonport which later changed to P when I transfered to Portsmouth.
J was for continuous service. ie. staight 12 as opposed to SS wich was for 7 and 5.
X was be cause we joined after the Invergordon mutiny which was about pay cuts to the Navy. Anyone who joined after the mutiny was on a different pay scheme. Some time in the late 50s or early 60s the X was dropped because there was nobody left who was in before the mutiny.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P WW2 Service numbers Submariners 5
D *** Service Numbers The Quarterdeck 1
D Identifying service numbers Bases / Shore Est 17
Seaweed Service numbers 1939-45 History 7
sexbody service numbers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
F NON CHANGE OF UY/SUY SERVICE NUMBERS ON ENTRY TO BRNC The Fleet 40
A "New" Service Numbers Diamond Lil's 11
flynavy Service Numbers The Quarterdeck 1648
MoD_RSS Test and Trace service reaches more than 250,000 people since launch MoD News 0
C National Service and Special Branch query History 16
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace service to strengthen regional contact tracing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rail passengers see major service boost with new £40 million Stevenage station platform MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment of the new Chief of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) MoD News 0
D Service Family Accommodation Nearest & Dearest 8
MoD_RSS The Insolvency Service newsletter: Summer 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New online service to improve Lasting Power of Attorney MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public service pensions update: a GAD technical bulletin MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Alex Chisholm speech at Civil Service Live 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Online Repayment Service - you talked, we listened MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Stable service delivery for tenants continues in social housing sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC Launches New Online Repayment Service MoD News 0
T What is the contract of service for the royal navy rating? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS Coronavirus recovery in Her Majesty’s Court and Tribunal Service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS “The privilege of public service” given as the Ditchley Annual Lecture MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DWP service update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DWP service update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra UK Government funding for service charities supporting people across Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Extra funding for service charities as veterans’ support is stepped up MoD News 0
MoD_RSS SLC unveils new Digital Evidence Submission service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Register for Civil Service Live Online now MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Problem with Companies House email service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DVLA launches online service to change address on vehicle log book (V5C) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Local authorities across England receive funding to support new Test and Trace service MoD News 0
C Submarine Service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
G Why is Length of Service so short? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
MoD_RSS National Careers Service Virtual Jobs Fair returns on June 8 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh winners of the 2020 Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Winners of the 2020 Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service announced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government launches NHS Test and Trace service MoD News 0
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
MoD_RSS Up to £15 million to support the Citizens Advice service during COVID-19 pandemic MoD News 0
O Change of service in training Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS £300 million additional funding for local authorities to support new test and trace service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil Service Coffee Connect MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 1000 jobs promoted to local job seekers at National Careers Service virtual jobs fair MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GAD’s clients share their views of our service MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New guarantee on death in service benefits for frontline health and care staff during pandemic MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Letter from the Paymaster General to the European Commission and the European External Action Service: 27 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New video service for deaf claimants accessing Universal Credit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF guidance for creditors on temporary suspension of debt service repayments MoD News 0