Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Service Numbers

middle_watch said:
171 (was) but get this, remember when we were paid real money? Well some will, you held out your cap, saluted and gave your name and last three and they handed over the cash, always remember a guy who used to have problems every time. "Bond, sir, 007" They had to have done it deliberatly!

Something not quite right there, matey. You never saluted if you were not wearing your cap. You saluted first, then removed your cap and the cash would be put on top. My first three ? C/KX 902***. A bloody long time ago !!

Cheers, Tansy.

dogwatch said:
D159 - joined March 76 - 4th from last class out of Ganges. Now D976,joined RNR when I left Rn in 2000

You were two weeks ahead of me then mate. I was in the 2nd last class to pass out of Ganges, joined 30-03-76, D159****, Stoker for me sins. Good on you for still doing it!

Tansy said:
middle_watch said:
171 (was) but get this, remember when we were paid real money? Well some will, you held out your cap, saluted and gave your name and last three and they handed over the cash, always remember a guy who used to have problems every time. "Bond, sir, 007" They had to have done it deliberatly!

Something not quite right there, matey. You never saluted if you were not wearing your cap. You saluted first, then removed your cap and the cash would be put on top. My first three ? C/KX 902***. A bloody long time ago !!

Cheers, Tansy.

I recall doing that same thing in Dolphin 1963.
Smartly marching to the table, on the parade ground, hat in left hand top uppermost helkd to the front, thumb across it, saluting bareheaded and stating name and SB number, and the officer sliding the few pennies in an envelope under your thumb, smart right turn and doubling away to put said pennies in my (almost brand new) pocket on my blue waistbelt ----
I was but a mere JSA in those days... more memories....

Must have changed the rules a little since your time Tansy, I was P068***

:)

Latest Threads