Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Service Numbers

Hi all, whilst I was searching for some RN info yesterday and, I stumbled upon this website so I thought I would chip in my details!

After travelling down to HMS Raleigh from Scotland, I joined the RN on the 11th April 1967 and my service number was D102 but, it was initially P102 until it was changed some time afterwards!

After training which I think was 16 weeks at that time, I went to HMS Cambridge for SQ training. after that, in September 1967, I travelled to Heathrow for a flight to Singapore and stopped at Istanbul, Bombay (Mumbai) and then arrived at Singapore!

I can't remember what class or division I was in and was wondering if there is any way to get this info and, if available, any passing out parade photo's?

I've still got my little brown case which I now keep my paint brushes in and, my wooden name stamp! For the life of me, I can't think what it was for! Was it shoe cleaning gear?

Last edited:
I joined Raleigh in '67 , 6 weeks part 1 basic training was in Revenge block , divisions were Anson , Benbow , Collingwood , Drake , and Exmouth. Part 2 training was in Resolution block , divisions were Frobisher , Grenvile ,
Hawk and Jellicoe. At the time there were no passing out parade photos but you could have an individual pic taken fully booted and spurred with SLR fitted with the ceremonial chrome plated bayonet.

Was D166 - seems a lifetime ago when they gave me that high tech form of I'd. A bit of laminated blue card with me mugshot on. Ha ha:):)
mine was a bit of card in a plastic envelope, with my photo glued on? Then Collingwood defaced them by putting the big X across it to say under 18

Last edited:
The low tech ID card was a great help to me whilst in Australia. As I was only 20 and therefore not officially allowed to enter their RSL clubs(the equivalent if the British Legion Club but more like a top boozer with entertainment) until I was 21. A slight adjustment was required to get me past the "jobsworth" doormen. Seven became five without too much trouble and it was "cheers cobber".:p

The low tech ID card was a great help to me whilst in Australia. As I was only 20 and therefore not officially allowed to enter their RSL clubs(the equivalent if the British Legion Club but more like a top boozer with entertainment) until I was 21. A slight adjustment was required to get me past the "jobsworth" doormen. Seven became five without too much trouble and it was "cheers cobber".:p
that's why the reggies at collinggrad put a big red X across them:(

D067*** Andrew 28 years(13 March '62-04 April '90, then 4 more in the RAN.Enjoyed(Almost)every minute of it and would do it all over again.Up Spirits(Stand fast the Holy Ghost)

D118

Joined 70 passing out at Raleigh and Pembroke the parade grounds were full

went to see my son passing out Raleigh 2007 - 5 classes on that massive parade ground - sad.................

you went into a dockyard in 70s/80s and crammed with ships - now you go to Pompey and don't see any active ones - don't even start me on Chatham.......................................................

Some pictures of Springtrain 82 taken in or around Gib just prior to Falklands conflict.

Great to see ships carrying OOW Manoeuvres..1Gib%20Springtrain.jpgGib82.2.pngGib82.3.pngGib82.4.jpgGib82.png

Latest Threads