Service numbers 1939-45

Discussion in 'History' started by Seaweed, Sep 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I am trying to look up information about a man, born in 1924, who is identified in a list dated 1.4.1944 as L/Sea XXXX, with RN number P/JX 3226nn. Can anyone tell me please when this number would have been issued? I understand the P/J bit as Portsmouth, Seaman, and the X Iseem to remember means not a 12-year man so presumably includes HOs.
  2. You may be right with the X part. My Dad was a National Serviceman and his No started with PJX
  3. P = Portsmouth
    J = Seamen and comms
    X = new pay structure introduced early 1930s

X has nothing to do with hostilities or terms of engagement.

this prefix was used for joiners from 1934 until 1943.

Cant pin it down further as number depends upon other factors.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  4. The prefix JX is Seaman/Tel/Bunting Tosser on a 12 year engagement (not sure about National Service or HOs) SJX signified 12 year Special Service ie 7 years active service and 5 reserve.
  5. Seaweed

X therefore presumably meant entered after 1930 so pretty near all HOs should have had that. I imagine this realtes to the new pay scale that kicked off the Invergordon Mutiny or maybe related to that. However in the 50s & 60s I VERY vaguely remember a mixture of P/J and P/JX on service docs, by which time any pre-30s must have left. However it's dating the number that I would really appreciate help with. If this man was a killick in 1944 (which he definitely was) he must have come in before the end of '43.
  6. My old man was LJX joined at Lowestoft as a Asdic Operator on trawlers in 1940
  7. My Father was PJX151??? that number issued around 1935 so it was I say about 2 to 3 years after that.
  8. Seaweed

Thanks, Mick, that's a useful left bracket.