Service Number

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jacko90, Feb 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if you rejoin you retain your previous service number?

2. Depends, if you left when number had D in front then no as they now have a new system and you will get a new number. If you left when the new system was out then you will more than likely retain the number

3. What Tommo said. Your new number will usually start with a 3. Start looking forward to being numbers checked by sprogs who joined up in 2009, I hope you are good at making tea. :D

4. I think you'll find you still keep your old number. Had a couple of re-joiners just before I left (3000 system was in by then) and they kept the old number. Guzzler, Drakey or NJ and SM could confirm or deny

5. I know of two lads who had to swap. I too had to swap mine for a 300 number but that was because I changed from a blue suit to a green one.

6. Only going by what I was informed about rejoining fella.

7. ah cheers thanks, i had a 300 number

8. Sprog.
    :D

9. Then you will keep it because of the JPA system.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

JPA only seems capable of matching one service number to each NHS Number (that's the number that identifies you).

If you're ex-RN/RM rejoining the RN/RM, most people seem to keep their C, D, N, P, V, or W prefix numbers if they left AFTER JPA was introduced, if you left before JPA was introduced you are issued a "300..." series service number which stays with you even if you later join another service.

11. I'm ex RM going in the Navy, been told by the AFCO I will be keeping my service number.

12. ...because you left after JPA was introduced? :p

13. A re-joiner a few weeks ago retained his D..... number

14. I think it's pretty much pot luck with it I'm afraid, kinda depends how long you've been out as well.

15. Yes, hence "If you're ex-RN/RM rejoining the RN/RM, most people seem to keep their C, D, N, P, V, or W prefix numbers if they left AFTER JPA was introduced, if you left before JPA was introduced you are issued a "300..." series service number which stays with you even if you later join another service".

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Does it really matter? It's just a feckin' number... :shock:

17. Just a number?!?!

I thought you of all people would understand SPB....

18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Understand? Yes. Care? Not really... :roll:

19. Similar scenario if you commission from the ranks, you retain your previous service number rather than receive an officers one.

20. There isn't an officer's one though is there?