TracieB

Ok well this should get ye olde grey matter working as the MOD haven't got a scooby. My Grandad's service record finally arrived the other day after some mishaps and he has two service numbers. One has been scored out on the photocopy of his service card and above it the other one written. Now I know FX777895 means he was in the fleet air arm but I knew thata to begin with but the original number he was given doesn't relate to the interpretation leaflet info I was sent along with his record at all. It is SFX837. no port division letter, the same FX that presumably relates to the fleet air arm still as he was with the air ministry after the war but the records don't cover this so I don't know that that would have any bearing. He volunteered in 1940 and something happened which looks like he was 'transferred from S.S. to H.O. engt (?)' and of 11.12.45 something else happened which looks like 'wide' or could be 'made' I guess 'Off. No L/FX777895'. He was Temporary Acting and then Acting Lead Airman until 1943 then Temporary Acting Petty Officer intil 1944 and then Temporary Petty Officer until 1945 where he became Temporary Chief Petty Officer and was released to shore in April 1946.

TracieB

It's not a double S tho as have also seen this whilst doing search on here. MOD think it was something to do with a move but haven't seen it before either.

TracieB

Ok no ideas? How about finding out what squadron he was in? I can't find any details on line re how to go about this. Part of the problem is that The Fleet Air Arm museum have had to stop taking curatorial questions re the cuts and the MOD is a nightmare of a site to find your way around. I'm a newbie when it comes to researching this kind of thing as I've only done a geneaology search before. I'm not sure where to start. I thought about researching the ships he was on but even trying to find out where they were during the time he served is proving tricky. Any idea greatfully received x

saltydog

Midshipman
In 1943 when the majority of the Navy were pre-occupied with fighting the war, the administrators decided to introduce the change. Commencing on the 1st April the prefix J,K,L and M, plus the letter F for Fleet Air Arm would remain for all normal engagements, and the letters SS = seamen and communicators and some stokers, SK = other stokers, SL = officers cooks and stewards, SM = ERA's and miscellaneous branches, SF = fleet air arm, were introduced for special service engagements.

Although other letters were used [L = Lee-on-Solent, for Fleet Air Arm - E for Maltese LEP'S {locally entered personnel} and others], the main letters were C, D and P representing Chatham, Devonport and Portsmouth respectively.

TracieB

In 1943 when the majority of the Navy were pre-occupied with fighting the war, the administrators decided to introduce the change. Commencing on the 1st April the prefix J,K,L and M, plus the letter F for Fleet Air Arm would remain for all normal engagements, and the letters SS = seamen and communicators and some stokers, SK = other stokers, SL = officers cooks and stewards, SM = ERA's and miscellaneous branches, SF = fleet air arm, were introduced for special service engagements.

Although other letters were used [L = Lee-on-Solent, for Fleet Air Arm - E for Maltese LEP'S {locally entered personnel} and others], the main letters were C, D and P representing Chatham, Devonport and Portsmouth respectively.
I've read this somewhere already. Did u copy and paste it? However now I'm reading it for the third time I'm wondering if it pertains to the special service engagement; the SFX837 number that is. What is a special service engagement? Or maybe I should say what could it be? He went from being a leading airman in January 1943 to petty officer in Feb 1943, could that be it? Meanwhile I have written to the lovely Mr Jeff Dykes via his website as suggested by someone else.

TracieB

Scan his service record and put it on here (making sure it's large enough to read)
I feel a bit uncomfortable about doing this as I don't know whether my Grandad would have wanted me to do that. He's no longer with us so I can't ask him and it's private. I hope you understand.

WreckerL

War Hero
I feel a bit uncomfortable about doing this as I don't know whether my Grandad would have wanted me to do that. He's no longer with us so I can't ask him and it's private. I hope you understand.
scan it, blank out his name and any personal stuff and just leave the bits we might be able to help with.

saltydog

Midshipman
I've read this somewhere already. Did u copy and paste it? However now I'm reading it for the third time I'm wondering if it pertains to the special service engagement; the SFX837 number that is. What is a special service engagement? Or maybe I should say what could it be? He went from being a leading airman in January 1943 to petty officer in Feb 1943, could that be it? Meanwhile I have written to the lovely Mr Jeff Dykes via his website as suggested by someone else.
Yeah its a copy/paste from Jeff Dykes website, it may be that SFX837 is a book number rather than a service number but Jeff will know more than me.

TracieB

You can post them normally, use the image icon next to the smiley one.
Sorry to sound dense but am not sure what u mean. They haven't posted here so there is no image icon of theirs. I was wondering if there was a way of adding them to this conversation?

Waspie

War Hero
Book number refers to Ships Book number. Each ship they served upon would have allocated individuals a separate number different from their service number!!