service length

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nykie, Dec 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Could you possibly end an argument between a friend and i.

he went to an engineering show last week where the RN had a pitch. my friend showed some interest into becoming a MEO.

the argument is he thinks you'll have to sign up for 12 years, where as i think once you have completed your training you'll only need to serve 3 years.

please can somebody settle this for us

thanks in advance
  2. Each job has a different return of service for training given by the RN. Not sure what it is for a MEO, but it will be a lot longer than 3 years. More like 6 or something, although I'm guessing.
  3. To my knowledge a full career for a rating is for a term of 18 years or untill age 40 whichever is later.
    You can claim your right of discharge within the first 6 months after completing 4 weeks service and giving 14 days notice. After this period you can not apply to claim discharge untill completion of a further 2 years 6 months.
    This is applicable to the majority of rating trades, however there are exception and varying criteria for some other jobs. ie student naval nurse, and I am sure that as an officer the terms will probably be different.
    I do realise that this does not help you with your question regarding an MEO, but I had made the post and then realised i had not really answered your question. :crazy:
  4. where can i find the return of service for a marine engineering officer?
  5. ha ha thanks dutch! (just saw your edit)
  6. According to the Royal Navy website, an Officer sijoins for an initial 12 year commission. After that you then have the opportunity to transfer to longer comissions. I am not sure of discharge rights. However I am sure that your question will soon get answered properly as there are a few RN careers advisor on site. :thumright:
  7. As seen on the Illustrious programme, if you are a female Officer and don`t like it, you can walk off the Ship.
  8. I remember watching that episode of Warship. Surely it cant be as easy as that to just leave. To just walk off ship at the nearest port. That was a great example of commitment for you. Decide that you dont like your job, want to transfer to another branch for an easier life, cant do that so quit instead. :roll:
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Officers are at liberty to resign their commission once they have completed any minimum return of service (RoS) on completion of training.

The initial contract is indeed usually 12 years (if you want to serve full term) & your ACLO is best placed to advise the minimum RoS for any given trade as it varies depending at what level you enter service & whether you have had sponsorship, bursary, scholarship & the length/cost of your professional training. Three years sounds about right for non-sponsored direct entry Engineering graduates who wish to leg-it before the guaranteed 12 year employment contract expires.

Doubtless 'Drunken Engineer' will verify as he's the guru on Engineering officers.

Edited to correct spelling. (It's why I'm not an Officer)
  10. Ninja_Stoker

You may well be correct- we'll await a definitive response on that one after an obliging officer chappy has had their tea & toast.
  11. so does anybody know where 'Drunken Engineer' is for the definitive answer??
  12. Ninja_Stoker

The pub
  13. Well this is a good time to go the other way.

I've heard people talking about selection for another 12 years after the guarenteed first, what's the pass/fail rate on this "selection"?
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Doubtless someone knows the precise answer, however if you haven't joined yet, there's every reason to suspect that in 12 years from now the contracts may well change or the percentages selected for extension of service may fluctuate in the interim.

Until a year or two ago the Second Open Engagement (2OE) extension beyond 22 years service for Ratings was as rare as a Harrier pilot neglecting to tell you he was a Harrier pilot- now it's as common as "Nails" in the Corps forum fishing for a bite. There's every reason to suspect Officers will increasingly be offered extended contracts.
  15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Are you "coming out" right here on RR Sentenashi? Did you fall in love with aaronP for his man of the world personality? :thumright:
  16. Go on yourself, sentenashi!
    Being a poofter is no barrier today, in fact it surprises me it's not compulsory for all budding Matelots!
  17. Ah dear old wise at fifteen years old.
  18. He's good for a laugh though, still in Sixth Form and wants to know if he can do more than 12 years!
    There's confidence for you. He'll go far, well at least to the AFCO for his medical.
  19. Dutch wrote

To my knowledge a full career for a rating is for a term of 18 years or untill age 40 whichever is late

A full career to my knowledge is till age 55.

A pensionable career is 22 years from the age of 18.

Have I got the wrong hymn sheet?
  20. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The noobs are talking about the new career mate. OE1 and 2 are gone pension 05 (is it 05?) gives them 18 years now.