Service length for a diver

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jim126, Oct 13, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

At the moment I'm in the application process for the navy as a diver and i was wondering what is the minimum service and could i leave early as a diver?

Also, whats life like in the navy? are there many chances to go out drinking?

Thanks

Jimi

2. You can leave now if you like...

• Like Like x 2
  3. 4 years after completing training.

Not as much drinking as you'd think; especially if you're diving the next day.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a bite...but I like the cut of his jib, there's a nuance of vanity within.

The other good news is RN Diver Training is not directly transferable to commercial saturation diving, where the big bucks are to be had. The conversion course costs about 5000 crates of Newcastle Brown which is the real reason divers are teetotal. Sometimes. Probably.

5. Where does a scouser learn to use words like nuance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Prison.

The way to calculate the minimum service for those interested, is to add your branch Standard Initial Training Period (SITP) from the pdf (below), then add 30 months return of service (RoS) and 12 months notice to quit.

For bubbleheads minimum service is 9 + 30 + 12 = 51 months, assuming they pass everything first attempt.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/royal navy responsive/documents/useful resources/br 3/br3book/Matrix RNRMRFA.pdf

7. Going off on a tangent, but linked to your pdf Ninja - I notice the majority of branches have a max age of 36 to join. I know this used to be 32 and it is linked to being able to complete an open engagement by 55.
    My question: for each of the branches that have a lower max age - what is the reason for the lower age?