Service Funeral

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by WatchOnStopOn, Dec 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A difficult question to ask probably not in the right forum but a good friend died recently and will be laid to rest next week. It will be the first time I've been to service funeral and lots of people will be going in rig from all parts of the service at families request.

Does anyone have any advice about naval etiquette for this type of event when being in rig. It's gonna be a tough day as it is and many will say what does it matter it's not about you but I'm desperate to do the best for my oppo on his day.

2. Once upon a time there was etiquette and you knew what to do. Now-a-days confusion reigns. If you feel it is apprprpriate to wear rig then wear it, just make sure that it is correct. Otherwise wear something that IS appropriate, dark suit and tie, etc. Finally, and on the other hand if it is advertised as hippie wear sandals and flowers in your hair, just don't upset the family and friends organizing it.

3. "lots of people will be going in rig from all parts of the service at families request."

Lujon - RTFQ, as my staff used to say.

OP - Full 1's; no swords. Greatcoat if burial outdoors and cold. White gloves with greatcoat.

BH

4. I would offer a point that was hotly debated a while back, but on which the rules (if they concern you) are clear. In accordance with QRRN, if a flag is to cover the coffin, it should be a union flag not a White Ensign.

5. Oh no not another cnut on the site prize prick mate but only my opinoin (at the moment)

6. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Go with No1B's and you wont go wrong. Swords are fine, but make sure your sword drill is spot on, otherwise it looks gash.

7. WOSO
    Just go -the family really want you there and so does your poor mucker, if you fcuk up no one will say anything plus he will be looking down at you from above saying to himself and laughing old WOSO he's still a twat!!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. 1B's is negative swords!

9. Like Stan said just go. Turn up in rig looking smart as a preverbial. At the end of the day it is about the family and closest. They will appreciate your every effort.

PS take a tissue, trust me I am an old and bold, rugby player, ex field gunner, zero emotion but went to an oppos service funeral and **** me it got smokey!

Again like Stan said your oppo will be laughing at you having to dig your best rig out.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Stan's spot-on - if anyone knows correct military etiquette at a funeral, it's a Warrant Officer Gunner, rest assured.

Every matelot is issued a sense of humour & if you get it wrong, jurst laugh along with your departed oppo as he takes the piss from on high.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well said oppo