Seriously considering rejoining the mighty RN

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by chocky, Feb 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

First off i'll introduce myself :) Im Si, Im 27 and I left the RN after just shy of 6 years in 2006. Was on the brink of branch changing to ET and was on the killicks signal before i stupidly left. Served on 22's based in Plymouth where I still live today.

So Ive done a bit of a forum search and this topic has popped up a few times so apologies for asking again. But basically Im kakking myself. Life outside is turd at best. Im bored of just existing and im desperate to go back in. Im at university doing an engineering degree but its just not what I wanted. But, im worried about the defence cutbacks (as im sure most on here are) and wether I actually stand a chance. If so, will the waiting list be a tad too long? Finally does anyone know wether my past record will stand for anything?

Thanks for the help in advance,

All the best,

EDIT: For the record, I fully intend to give the fine chaps at the AFCO a call, I just wouldnt mind some help from someone not on a quota ;)
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. The joining time's will allow you to complete that degree more than likely.
  3. Really? Thats what I was worried about :( Totally understandable though.

Thanks for the reply though, appreciate it.
  4. Talk to your AFCO ASAP. There will be a wait, your previous record will count (the grounds which you left) and with the state of things these days you may not be able to re-join at all.
  5. Thank you for that. My previous record was all but spotless. I kinda knew there would be a wait but didnt realise the possibility might not even exist. I considered rejoining a couple of years ago and even went to the AFCO to see what my chances were. Back then the WO in there said it was about a years wait but might be reduced to a few months once he'd passed my RORRS reports on (guess that's a good thing?) but i could definately rejoin. Since then times have changed A LOT and people have even lost their jobs unfortunately, so again, totally understandable, just not the answer I was hoping for. Cant have everything though :(

Thanks again
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As stunning as it probably seems, Careers Advisers don't get performance related pay, if it were based on numbers recruited we would end up with dross.

The name of the game is to try and recruit the best person for the specific job that they actually want. This way, the person stays in the service & means we have to recruit less to replace those leaving prematurely.

Best of luck with the application - the quicker you provide your former service documents, the quicker the process runs.
  7. Si

Which subject are you studying and when do you graduate?
  8. Nothing sadder than a failed civvy.

Finish your degree and get a proper job. If the mob means that much to you join the RNR, they'd probably take you as an officer given your education/experience.
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Chocky: Without repeating what's already been said and not trying to take the piss but if you are keen get back into employment with the Armed Forces, MPGS are actively recruiting personnel at the moment. The added benefits of this include using your transferrable skills, knowledge of the military systems, procedures and rank structures (with the opportunity for promotion if you want it), the ability to work at a location of your choosing close to home (i.e. not deployable) in a routine that will allow you to continue your studies when you are off duty. The contract is only 3 years so you have a certain amount of flexibility with your personal or career development in the future. If this is suitable, speak to your AFCO, who will provide advice and paperwork. Once your previous military records are released from Kentigern House you will be eligible for a short training period at Southwick Park (ex-HMS Dryad). Some may give you grief but MPGS will give you the chance to retain links to the military as well as maintain the routine you have had as a civilian since leaving the RN.
  10. Sgtpepperband, whilst MPGS are recruiting the future is anything but certain for ALL the security providers for the MoD, MPGS, MDP and MGS are all being scrutinised under PR11 and worse still PR12 which will be the hatchet for armed and unarmed guarding.
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Waspie: I understand what you are saying and this is not the place to go into a protracted discussion about the future of armed guarding in the MOD. But my advice was based on the belief that, given the current employment situation, the OP is more likely to gain entry to MPGS than be able to rejoin the RN, which will at least allowing him the flexibility to continue with his studies. :thumbleft:
  12. Si I would definitely rejoin, I have been out for 13 months now but am going back in as civvy street is not for me at all.

Don't ask you dont get mate and the Navy are always after lads, always.
  13. Well, it's nearly 3 years later, so I'm thinking it either happened, or he's still a civvy....
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Yes mate, just clocked the date thought it was recent
  15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

2012 is the year, not 12 minutes past 8.