Seriously considering becoming a RN diver

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by deepdiver, Oct 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have had numerous times in my life where I have thought about joining the Navy, but I have finally had enough of civvy life - I need a better challenge, more adventure, and a career I am proud of.

I appreciate I need excellent fitness, which I am working on!

My main question is rating or officer? I have over 180 UCAS points, so Officer is an option, but I read the diving isn't as frequent. Officer pay is obviously higher, and should the AIB feel I am capable, will set me up for a nice retirement.

What ranking could I expect to attain as a rating if I was chosen as a diver?

Thanks,

Chris

2. Forgot to mention I have taught Scuba Diving, hold certifications down to 45m with decompression, and I am buying my own rebreather soon.

3. Well, you could start by using the search function and finding the 22 page thread dedicated to this very topic.....

4. I did look through several threads on MCDO, PEDA, AIB etc, but saw no mention of the ranking to aim for if I go down the ratings route.

5. Warrant Officer 1 - but there's about half a dozen of them in the entire branch, which is not a lot.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Unless I'm mistaken, even the bubbleheads had Leading Hands, Petty Officers, Chief Petty Officers and Warrant Officers last time I checked.

What rank can be achieved within 18 years service is down to the individual's recognised ability, dashing good looks and all-round good eggedness.

7. So we aren't talking peanuts if one puts in the effort and has the ability.

8. If you want to be a diver and get in the water...join as a rating work hard, play hard, have fun, the pay is pretty good.

If you want to talk about diving and rarely get in the water, and have a host of other shitty little jobs..join as an officer.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ninja_Stoker

A flat rate for Warrant Officer of up to £46,049 per annum at todays rates, plus up to £32.72 per day extra when qualified to Category 5 standards.

10. Yes, I want to dive. Rating it is! Just trying to book some time of work to go to the local AFCO. I wish they would open on a Saturday!

11. Ninja_Stoker

If we opened Saturdays I'd have to book time off during the week, too.

12. Fair point Ninja!

13. So not exactly a "deepdiver" then are you?

14. 11 WO's in the branch

15. It's deeper than recreational depths, and I will be extending this over winter ;-)

16. If you get any trouble- stand up!

• Like Like x 1
  17. And I guess it will take at least 18 months for me to get joined, so plenty of time to get 200 hours on a rebreather for 100m trimix diving...

18. Here comes another bent up/ dead rebreather "expert"..................

19. That's a bit harsh, considering you don't know my diving ability. Where did I say I was going to skip training and experience, and dive a home build rebreather? We're you born a pro diver?

20. Yep! .

• Like Like x 1