Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seriously considering becoming a RN diver

deepdiver

Midshipman
I have had numerous times in my life where I have thought about joining the Navy, but I have finally had enough of civvy life - I need a better challenge, more adventure, and a career I am proud of.

I appreciate I need excellent fitness, which I am working on!

My main question is rating or officer? I have over 180 UCAS points, so Officer is an option, but I read the diving isn't as frequent. Officer pay is obviously higher, and should the AIB feel I am capable, will set me up for a nice retirement.

What ranking could I expect to attain as a rating if I was chosen as a diver?

Thanks,

Chris

deepdiver

Midshipman
Forgot to mention I have taught Scuba Diving, hold certifications down to 45m with decompression, and I am buying my own rebreather soon.

deepdiver

Midshipman
I did look through several threads on MCDO, PEDA, AIB etc, but saw no mention of the ranking to aim for if I go down the ratings route.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Unless I'm mistaken, even the bubbleheads had Leading Hands, Petty Officers, Chief Petty Officers and Warrant Officers last time I checked.

What rank can be achieved within 18 years service is down to the individual's recognised ability, dashing good looks and all-round good eggedness.

Spidiver

War Hero
If you want to be a diver and get in the water...join as a rating work hard, play hard, have fun, the pay is pretty good.

If you want to talk about diving and rarely get in the water, and have a host of other shitty little jobs..join as an officer.

deepdiver

Midshipman
Yes, I want to dive. Rating it is! Just trying to book some time of work to go to the local AFCO. I wish they would open on a Saturday!

deepdiver

Midshipman
And I guess it will take at least 18 months for me to get joined, so plenty of time to get 200 hours on a rebreather for 100m trimix diving...

deepdiver

Midshipman
That's a bit harsh, considering you don't know my diving ability. Where did I say I was going to skip training and experience, and dive a home build rebreather? We're you born a pro diver?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Seriously considering rejoining the mighty RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Heineken Pub Company Fined After Seriously Breaching Pubs Code MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Aid charity involved in convoys to Syria “seriously mismanaged”, regulator concludes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charity can and should lead the way in taking people’s expectations seriously MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New programme launched for armed forces personnel seriously wounded in conflict MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Seriously injured veterans to get financial support for life MoD News 1
trelawney126 Could you have seriously Donked That The Gash Barge 31
WreckerL Seriously..would you? Diamond Lil's 11
21_Man Seriously?? Current Affairs 24
bigbaddog When ships go (seriously) bad. Diamond Lil's 8
dustyjack This is SERIOUSLY cool The Gash Barge 6
AfterSSE Seriously wrong here Current Affairs 17
C Are some people taking the RNR too seriously now Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 25
D Seriously cringeworthy recruiting ad The Quarterdeck 37
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Almost 1 in 3 are considering donating to a charity for Christmas instead of giving a gift MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London school sold and shut by trustee who acted ‘without considering consequences’ MoD News 0
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
N Should I even be considering this? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
B Considering Joining the Royal Navy post graduation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
MoD_RSS News story: UK considering further support to fight against Daesh MoD News 0
S Considering attempting to transfer X(GS) Submariners 4
B I have a family and considering applying... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Considering joining the RN Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Considering joining the navy but need advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
D 34 Years young, considering attempting to join the Royal Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
trehorn Considering the RNR? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 3
C Considering joining the Navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
S Semi-considering re-enlisting.... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
Q Newbie considering joining up Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS Action to help prevent vulnerable young people from becoming homeless MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fiona Dickie on becoming the Pubs Code Adjudicator MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Becoming an Innovation Nation: Driving up private investment into research and development MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Regulator issues guide on becoming a registered provider MoD News 0
W Advice on Becoming a Doctor and Navy Officer - MO? UPO/Careers Office 6
N Interested in becoming Royal Marine Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Becoming an officer with a degree Joining the Royal Navy 1
I Interested in becoming a Logistics Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
TechFin The Chances of becoming an officer with only A-levels? The Fleet Air Arm 19
D Would you be interested in becoming a Trustee and Volunteer for the Sea Cadets in your local area? Charity 1
J Becoming a doctor with the navy! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
J Chances of becoming lightning II pilot? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
M Civvie plumber thinking of becoming and engineering technician marine engineer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
K Direct entry aircrewman becoming a pilot? Dream or potential reality? The Fleet Air Arm 8
lethal lady Becoming a PTI Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
S Becoming a homeowner whilst serving Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
W If ever there was a natural candidate for becoming a PTI... Diamond Lil's 16
T Becoming a RMO through the RMR The Corps 2
The G BRNC to becoming a navigational officer and gaining PWO status Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
soleil Telegraph: "Head Of Armed Forces: Military Risks Becoming 'Hollow Force'" Current Affairs 21