Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[SERIOUS] What Happens When Your Fiance Starts at HMS Raleigh

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
As an aside, if he wants to go submariner it'll take about a year to earn his dolphins and then you get the extra pay and boats are only away for roughly 3 months at a time (a bit longer for SSN's East of Suez).

stewkatt

Badgeman
As an aside, if he wants to go submariner it'll take about a year to earn his dolphins and then you get the extra pay and boats are only away for roughly 3 months at a time (a bit longer for SSN's East of Suez).

He has chosen the subs - I belive it is Weapons Engineering officer he is going in as for training.

How long will this be - training wise?

soleil

War Hero
Well - thats what he is going for - he was given the officer level interview and tests? He has a masters degree in electronic engineering - hes not the bottom mate

stewkatt

When he had his Officer level interview, was it done at the Armed Forces Careers Office or did he have to go away for a few days for it?

CmdKeen

Lantern Swinger
There also isn't a 2 year wait to join as a WE officer, let alone one willing to volunteer for boats.

stewkatt

Badgeman
it wasn't a waiting list- it was funding they were waiting for- it was the naval careers office and the letter inviting him stated interview for entry at officer level. so up urs

stewkatt

Badgeman
stewkatt

When he had his Officer level interview, was it done at the Armed Forces Careers Office or did he have to go away for a few days for it?

He definitely is going in at officer level- all the paperwork suggests this as well?

tommo

War Hero
If he's going in at Officer entry, he'd be going to BRNC Dartmouth not HMS Raleigh #justsaying

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The confusion arises because you asked what would happen when he was at Raleigh. Officers do their basic training at BRNC (Britannia Royal Naval College) Dartmouth and ratings do theirs at HMS Raleigh, Torpoint Cornwall.

stewkatt

Badgeman
The confusion arises because you asked what would happen when he was at Raleigh. Officers do their basic training at BRNC (Britannia Royal Naval College) Dartmouth and ratings do theirs at HMS Raleigh, Torpoint Cornwall.

i don't know- that's perhaps my fault- I just assumed that was the general training base- I don't actually know the exact location. he's been in presentations all day about this stuff so will find out tonight if e gets phone privladges

soleil

War Hero
stewkatt

If he is doing the PRNC, he will be joining as a Rating. All Rating candidates have to pass the PRNC in the 6 months prior to their start dates.

I think that what may have happened, if you are certain that he is doing the PRNC and is going to HMS Raleigh, is that he sat the entrance test which is common to all applicants but didn't get the score he needed for Officer or did get the score and was interviewed by the Admiralty Interview Board and wasn't selected for Officer training.

stewkatt

Badgeman
stewkatt

If he is doing the PRNC, he will be joining as a Rating. All Rating candidates have to pass the PRNC in the 6 months prior to their start dates.

I think that what may have happened, if you are certain that he is doing the PRNC and is going to HMS Raleigh, is that he sat the entrance test which is common to all applicants but didn't get the score he needed for Officer or did get the score and was interviewed by the Admiralty Interview Board and wasn't selected for Officer training.

im extremely confused now- (no jokes please) he was one of the highest pass scores that year scoring 98% in his tests alone. I haven't a frggin clue what he's doing - as far as I was aware and as much s I have been told he is going in - perhaps the fast track I don't know - something of that nature was mentioned at the time. see what I mean about the other half get told nothing

soleil

War Hero
The other possibility is that he is someone who was able to undertake a degree course but didn't have qualifications such as A Levels, which would have given him the necessary 180 UCAS points required to apply as an Officer.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just for info.

The September BRNC entry is on 10th Sept, followed by 19 Nov, 11 Feb & 6th May.

Officers don't undertake a PRNC.

Ratings join on a Sunday.

Recruiting test scores aren't converted to %, they are marked out of 120.

soleil

War Hero
im extremely confused now- (no jokes please) he was one of the highest pass scores that year scoring 98% in his tests alone. I haven't a frggin clue what he's doing - as far as I was aware and as much s I have been told he is going in - perhaps the fast track I don't know - something of that nature was mentioned at the time. see what I mean about the other half get told nothing

Has he been to somewhere called HMS Sultan in the last year or so for something called the AIB?

soleil

War Hero
stewkatt

The bottom line is that someone joining as an Officer this September will have spent a couple of days or so at HMS Sultan in the last year for his AIB (Admiralty Interview Board). Do you remember him doing that?

soleil

War Hero
no, I guess not- is there something called a fast track for those with the right skills and quals already? there is something that was said about this back at the interview?

Yes, fast-tracking is possible for Ratings in certain jobs.

It's clear that he is joining as a Rating, rather than as an Officer, as you have mentioned the PRNC and fast-tracking. I think that for one of the reasons which I mentioned earlier, he has applied to be a Rating. An applicant with a Masters in Electronic Engineering would have given WEO real consideration, but, for a reason which isn't clear to us or you, he is joining as a Rating. He may have the opportunity to become an Officer at a later date, time will tell.

The link which I gave you earlier will give you an idea about ET(WE)SM training.

beduffrich

Midshipman
With regards to your initial queries, 1) NO taxpayers money will not be used to pay your rent. 2) you should really try communicating with your Fiance as much as you have been communicating on this board. If you did that you might actually know where he is going, what level and when.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Isotretinoin and suspected link with serious side effects: public and patients’ views sought MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New recruitment drive to help 10,000 people with serious mental illness MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New legislation protects national security capability to fight serious crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint statement: Invoking the Moscow Mechanism in relation to serious human rights violations in Belarus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Excess weight can increase risk of serious illness and death from COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Polluter to put river right after serious spill MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reducing serious youth violence: our approach MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA finds evidence of serious issues in leasehold selling MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 01/2020: Serious operational irregularity at Balham MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Serious violent and sexual offenders to spend longer in prison MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Dash 8 Q400, serious incident and returned to Exeter MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New review will enhance response to serious and organised crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Serious and organised crime local partnerships bulletin: August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Eurocopter EC135, serious incident during maintenance flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Serious operating irregularity at Romney Sands MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trustees disqualified for serious misconduct and mismanagement at charity misused for terrorism offences involving children MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Report 11/2019: Serious operational irregularity at Bagillt user worked crossing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Summer holiday sport projects to help tackle serious violence and knife crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New public health duty to tackle serious violence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Regulator undercovers ‘serious abuse of charity’ at Islamic Global Trust MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: £28,000 penalty for Nottinghamshire farming companies who caused serious pollution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Home Office hosts North East serious violence event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Security Minister launches Serious and Organised Crime Strategy in Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Police granted funding boost for action on serious violence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: PM opening statement at Serious Violence Summit: 1 April 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Serious youth violence summit to launch public health duty to tackle serious violence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: We must tackle the serious ethical challenges of DNA analysis MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Charity regulator removes two trustees for serious breaches of charity law MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Home Office hosts Midlands serious violence event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Former trustees of MA 1985 (formerly Muslim Aid) criticised after investigation finds serious mismanagement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: CMA proposes major funerals probe after identifying serious concerns MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Health technology can help spot serious illness and prevent it MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Independent review calls for action to tackle serious and organised waste crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Independent review calls for action to tackle serious and organised waste crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Minister launches updated Serious and Organised Crime Strategy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government launches new strategy to tackle serious and organised crime MoD News 0
trehorn Estate Agent Serious F*CK UP! The Gash Barge 11
Good CO We've been hacked, but it doesn't seem serious Site Issues 22
S In need of serious help! Submariners 84
Stirling Current Affairs and other serious threads. Diamond Lil's 10
EarlyChop This is serious. The Quarterdeck 1
soleil BFBS: "Cuts To Royal Navy 'Would Be Comical If They Weren't So Serious'" Current Affairs 5
soleil Navy News: "Serious Testing Begins On Future Naval Fighter" The Fleet Air Arm 14
TaylorMono Happy Birthday, Mr Putin! - The Serious Discussion Thread Current Affairs 2
2_deck_dash Serious debate: If you were the CDS how would you do it? The Quarterdeck 44
soleil Guardian: Exercise At Barrow Exposes Serious Safety Failings Submariners 3
I Serious debate lacking Diamond Lil's 84
T A serious debate is called for Current Affairs 50
Q Thinking of joining the RNR... some serious advice please! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
D Venables faces 'extremely serious' claim Current Affairs 45