Septic & French Engineers drafted to 23's

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by digger84, Sep 13, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I heard this on the grapevine a couple of months ago, now it seem the media have got hold of the story. The times ran a piece labour it last Sunday, now the Daily Star has picked up on it.

Basically US & French Stokers will be filling the gapped billets on 23's. This is mainly for PO billets, I heard from Sultan the other week that they originally wanted them trained to POET MEQC level. However this course is roughly 1 year long, so they will be trained to PJT level enabling them to have a purpose onboard.

Sorry state of affairs.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...vy-given-coastguard-help-by-the-United-States

2. Oh dear!!
    I knew it was bad but not this bad! If they offer me £50k for three years, I'll think about going back!

3. There was a Galaxy released last week about this.

4. You reap what you sow.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ironic eh?

One would've hoped that a manpower shortage at PO ET(ME) could be plugged with retention bounties. If they aren't, they are not offering enough.

At the other end of the scale, waiting time to join as an ET(ME) is currently 7 months - one would've hoped that the "manpower shortage" would involve prioritising.

Not so long ago as a CMEM(M), I was on the lower pay band. I left the branch because of it.

6. Manpower shortage...prioritising...don't want to be too logical! If money isn't working maybe they need to try some other things to get people to stay?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

The very obvious way to solve this problem is not to import manpower.

Simply lay-up a couple of T23s & inform Dave that we have a manning crisis that will continue to get worse if we stretch our people remaining, to plug the shortfall. We therefore cannot provide assets at the level of tasking required by our government.

Either they reduce the tasking, or increase the manpower & ships to meet the tasking at a level that doesn't make everyone want to leave.

What are we doing instead? Increasing the length of deployments.

Like that's going to work, innit?

• Like Like x 5
  8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Now you are being stupid Nina, no one is going to do what you suggest (or at least not publically), that would mean no Knighthood and no jobs for the boys on retirement.

9. Its a shame no one listens to people who know what the solution is such as yourself and others who have served; instead of just throwing money at the problem which isn't working anyway. Even in the space of 2 or so years my friends have gone from enjoying the job despite it being hard work and long hours to hating it and counting down the days until they can leave. Hardly any time at home, longer deployments and no chance of any respite in a shore posting, sure its only a few people out of an organisation but if a few feel that way its likely others do too. We are only an island anyway who relies on the sea for most of our trade and to protect our shores. May as well just get rid of the navy.

10. They never listen, I joined boats in 1977 and there was a manning crisis for Reactor Panel Operators. A bounty was offered which morphed into nuclear pay as our clanky brothers wanted it as well, were told they couldn't have it so they voted with their feet and, reluctantly, they got it.

I left in 2007 and there was still a manning crisis with Reactor Panel Operators (I was one) so they brought in bounties.......and so on. 30 years of the same problem and I don't know of any RPO who was asked what the problem was and those who spoke up anyway (I was one) were completely ignored.

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Its not a recent problem either, I was drafted into boats in '64, went from one boat to another with virtually no shore time, most of that was watchkeeping at Dolphin Comcen, so I left in '70, the final straw came when I was given a pier head jump to a boat going to for a work up in Scotland, I had less than six months to do. I was far from being the only on there were a lot of people voting with their feet

12. It's worrying really that the lessons haven't been learnt over the years. Its a cycle i guess? A trade which is undermanned probably is that way as there are either better opportunities outside or it has 'undesirable' requirements like loads of time away or something. Having too few people must make it a lot worse as the issues then just get amplified. On one of the type 45's (not naming names) their whole mess and most of the department who are eligible have their notices in. Will one of you run for prime minister and get it sorted? :D

13. Americans in training billets as well.

14. They're slowly taking over...

Quite glad i changed my mind now.

15. All training material will have to be rewritten to a change the "S"'s to "Z"'s. Believe me I have sent reports to the states for approval and check and they have come back with the very same written in red!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Had an open book exam on a computer and took ages to find something about over pressurisation for this exact reason. lol

17. They would have to start offering better retention/resigning bonuses, as I can't see them changing the working conditions any time soon.

The current £45k, after tax (at 40%?), is not worth it.

Perhaps they should start drafting all the officers in cushy shore jobs into the gapped billets...

;)

18. I'll agree with WreckerL - I binned it all in 2005 as a double cat B RPO selected for NPSUPC as my last sea draft was so poorly managed from a personnel planning POV. "They" thought I was joking and were actually filling in all the forms for the bonus, signing on 2OE and just asking me to sign at the bottom but I was actually very serious. I always thought I would be Jack forever but in the end the uncertainty, poor leadership and lack of any family time made walking away very easy.

19. Ninja_Stoker

Crisis? What crisis?

Anyone heard the buzz that a fish boat is deploying to undertake drugs interdiction in the Caribbean because there aren't enough warships ships to meet the commitment?

• Like Like x 1
  20. I think it also had something to do with the fisheries dept cutting the number of fish days for the boats so they had nothing much else to do with them.