Senior Police officer on the phone on the road

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by 2badge_mango, Mar 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This evening's news made quite a fuss about the Chief Superintendant caught by members of his own force whilst using a hand held phone on a motorway. He received the, now statutory, £60 fine and three points on his licence. It was also pointed out that someone in his position, who would be, more than most, fully aware of the dire effects this could cause, should be setting an example to the rest of the public and not flouting the law.
    Should the normal "joe bloggs" fine etc. be applicable in his case, or should he be dipped to PC and sent back to pounding the beat?

I favour the latter.

2BM

2. Me to. Well done the plods that stuck him in.
    Though I dont think they will see a make a mend in the near future.!

3. He should certainly face additional disciplinary action by the police. Perhaps a slap on the wrist?

4. I think the law should be fair and as long as it is applied equally to everyone, then that is good. The cops should no more have extra punishment thatn they should be allowed to get off with it.
    I come from a family of police and know many of them very well, a few years ago a Detective Chief Inspector friend had wine with his lunch and wine with his dinner, not really pissed but not driving so no matter. He gets called out around 5 am and someone hits his car. Breathalized and slightly over the limit from the night before.
    OK, fair enough, over is over, he should have faced all the consequences as everyone else.
    Unfortunately the (Teetotal) Chief decides and example will be made and he is dismissed from his job. NO pension! After 20 ish years of service, had to sell his house and his wife (money loving twot) walked out on him.
    Is this fair? I know my view.

5. Similar case recently in NZ. PC in rural small town, only cop for miles, was having a BBQand a few quites with mates on his day off. Gets an emergency call for a defibrilator required at a crash just outside the town.
    Turns to, crash victim saved, fellow cop smells alcohol and asks him to blow in the bag!
    Result well respected, dedicated PC in court for helping to save someones life, pleaded guilty. Judge gave him minimum fine and ban and ripped the prosecutors a new one for being such cnuts.
    Won't be expecting cops who've had a few on their day off to come to the rescue now.

6. Not fair Lingya - but he could have said.....Sorry mate had a few sherbets last night with my dinner, I could be over the limit send a car to pick me up! I'm a boss for fcuk's sake - rank hath it's privleges! Was he expecting to be called out? probably not was he on standby? all the time in that position! was he paid for it, of course not part of the job for the bosses; so see above about the car! Bet his relief will! or not go!

"Your there to uphold the law not break it!"

7. I think they should throw the book at him!

The Police are always beating us over the head with how dangerous things are, speed, mobiles, eating crisps you name it…

As they say, live by the sword, die by the sword.

8. It would be unfair to throw the book at him, I agree that he should know better and in his position he should set an example but, as has been stated above, many times examples are made of people that are totally over the top. If he was not on duty then normal rules as for civilians should apply.
    Unless it's the same fcuker that caught me, then hang im!

9. Well if we are to believe the spokespersons for the various Police Forces, using a mobile phone while driving is so dangerous, it should probably be classified as using a weapon of mass destruction. :wink:

10. One fair penalty should apply for all - you wouldn't want him to get any less punishment so why should he get any more?

He may be a highly trained driver who is capable of conducting a pursuit well in excess of 100mph and still give a running commentary as well as drive safely; we dont know, whether he is or not he knows the law and the risk he runs by breaking it and deserved what he got.

Give the guy a break - bigger twat for getting caught me thinks.

It would be interesting to find out what orders or procedures he either has, or will, send out to his officers regarding tickets for these matters - see if the twat is a hypocrite too !

11. If he's been caught he should get the same as we woulld.No ifs no BUTS ||| :mrgreen:

12. Well I don't have a problem with one fair penalty for all, but it don't tend to be like that does it.

If I drive down a motorway at 3am doing 101mph I'll be using non existant public transport for 3 months, yet a Police Officer driving at 159mph can claim he was just 'familiarising' himself with his vehicle and get off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/4559173.stm

13. Slick

I'm aware of that case - whilst I dont agree with him doing 60 in a 30, how or when else would you rather he familiarise himself with the vehicle - when he gets the shout to your house because a serious crime is being committed against you and your family? or would you rather he be able to respond to your emergency in a prompt and effective manner knowing the limits and capabilities of the vehicle, not having to tip toe around not knowing how the car will react?

I dont agree with those who believe you should only train when on a course, you can quickly become de-skilled and therefore less safe.

If he did it at 0830 on a monday morning, that couldn't be justified, but in the middle of the night...there has to be some give and take.

That said, he was prosecuted for the offence by his force and CPS, it was the judge who had the common sense to throw it out.

14. Well if there's going to be give and take for the Police, why not Joe Public?

If he want's to 'familiarise' himself with how the car reacts at 159mph, he could do it far better and far more safely on a racetrack. Most of them have driving schools that run high performance driving courses. The public road is NOT the place to 'familiarise' yourself with how your new car reacts at that sort of speed.

Police guidelines state you should never exceed 120mph in a chase and break off the pursuit when you reach that speed.

And as to the 'defence' he was a 'highly experience driver'… Police in and around that region have deployed mobile cameras in force during the World Rally Championships to catch the worlds top drivers doing a few miles over the limit between stages a few years ago…

What's more dangerous, world championship rally drivers doing 54mph in race prepared Impreza's and Evo VIII's along a 30mph stretch (6 months ban and £1,750 fine) or a Police Constable in a standard road car driving it flat out?

The attorney General appealed the overturning of this PC's case in February if I recall correctly.

15. Slick

I dont think you answered my question, "how or when else would you rather he familiarise himself with the vehicle - when he gets the shout to your house because a serious crime is being committed against you and your family? or would you rather he be able to respond to your emergency in a prompt and effective manner knowing the limits and capabilities of the vehicle, not having to tip toe around not knowing how the car will react?"

Also, I do not expect an Evo driver is trained to deal with other drivers coming at him in the other direction as an emergency vehicle driver is.

You are wrong to say most have access to off road race tracks - they dont. Most have accesst to off road skid pans, they train on roads because that is what they have to deal with all day every day - normal junctioins, normal traffic, normal shite roads the council provide - not high skid resistant race circuits with one way traffic and no roundabouts or traffic lights.

And as for Jo Public, they are never required to respond to emergencies as the emergency services - they may be late to a meeting - no excuse - no one dying, no house on fire, no one getting raped, assaulted, mugged, etc.

16. Pffft! Last time I dialled 999 for a incident at my house, (brick through my window), they rolled up in a diesel fiesta half an hour later…

Vehicles handle the same be they on a track or a motorway. The reality is he was just being a dick and seeing how fast his new shiny toy would go and that's why he was prosecuted by his own side.

If the Police were serious about learning to drive fast they would learn from the experts, not convince themselves they are the be all and end of of driving prowess. There are high performance driving schools dotted throughout the country.

Anyone who's done any high speed driving training finds those Police-Action-Stop shows shocking, they are like an object lesson in how not to drive fast, the number of times I've watched some chav in his Corsa loose a tail with a handbrake turn while the Copper does a 3 pointer…

Once you start to move really fast on the twisty bits you need to master the art of drift, heel & toeing and road postioning or you slide off like a lot do. And you don't learn that by belting up a motorway in a straight line with your foot nailed to the floor.

17. Interesting comment "Anyone who's done any high speed driving training finds those Police-Action-Stop shows shocking" You're right, many of us who have been trained to drive at speed do find them shocking, most of us don't bother to watch them though, that would be really sad.

I don't think we will agree on this one - perhaps agree to disagree.

Good fun on a thread though. :wink:

18. Indeed we will… :mrgreen:

Now I must remember to update the Camera Database in the SatNav…
    ah for the good old days when it was mano y mano over a 1/4 mile :wink:

19. Oil-slick

I must agree with you 100% When you are plod you know you are in line for double jeopardy. If you work on a pedastal then expect due retribution if you fall off. Even more so if you are a Officer of Rank

Nutty

20. Interesting reaction, and slight deviation from the original point I was trying to make. When we were "bad lads" in any sort of situation that brought us into the public eye, the punishment meted out always involved an amount of "consequential punishment", graduated to reflect the amount of disrepute into which the "uniform" (ie. the service) had been brought.
    Should this not also apply to senior police officers who think they can disregard the law on the assumption that their juniors will let them get away with it?
    I think Nutty and I are probably on the same wavelength apropos this case.

2BM