Sending Post to Ships

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by John_of_Gaunt, Feb 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How often is mail delivered to deployed ships and is there any restriction on package size?

Is post always delivered during Port visits?

2. Generally when you come alongside.
    Normally just Post Office restrictions, although there may be a weight limit.
    Not always, although we will generally request mail on arrival, however the post is not sent to some ports due to customs restriction, and/or the length of time we spend alongside.

any other Q's?
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

A rough "rule of thumb" is never to send a package bigger than the ship to which it is being sent.

(It gets stuck in the letterbox otherwise).
  4. If the ship has an embarked helo, then make sure it's smaller than the aircraft - the post may be collected by the WAFUs without the ship entering port :D
  5. Damn :evil: I was going to say that.

(Good job the Wasp still ain't about - that would limit parcel size considerably as well) Decision time - bread or mail!!!!!! Bugger - better take the lot. Get ready to over torque the gearbox!!!! Done that more than once. :lol: :lol:
  6. Do they still get the crabs to bomb it in the ogin close to the ship??? (thats always assuming they can find you :)) - used to give the sea boats crew something to do!
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

When the Petrol Pidgeon is not being used to do SOOTAX/VIPTAX or collecting mail, it might do some operational stuff... :lol:

However, mail regulations are in accordance with the current Royal Mail guidelines, available at your post office. Generally anything below 2kg - which can be fitted in a normal letter sack will be accepted over the counter; larger items may be delayed due to space within the consignment. Mail is despatched from BFPO around the clock, and is collected from the destination by local Forces Mail Office or Ship's Chandler, who will arrange for it to be delivered to the Ship on arrival alongside (or helo, as necessary).

And here's a good tip: when you are on board, the best way to help us get the mail despatched to the messdecks quicker is to loiter in 1N Flat/Hangar/wherever and asking the Reg Office/Ship's Office staff if there is any for you. It makes us so pleased that the Ship's Company is keen to take an interest in what we are doing, and gives us just the right amount of encouragement that we needed to get the job done quicker... :twisted: :thumright:
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ah yes, I always found ringing the mail office for just a couple of rings then hanging-up several times usually added to the party atmosphere.

Ringing the bridge & asking them to pipe "Mail is ready for collection" whilst the pile of mailbags are still being lugged from the flightdeck was always a winner too.
  9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

NJ: Dunno why you were laughing - I'm sure I saw a "Dear John" in your pigeonhole... :wink:
  10. Myself, (Crewie), (or ships mail carrier) and the Leading Reg, (would never think of calling him our friendly German Shepherd :wink: :roll: ), used to have an old Royal Mail brassard we wore when on mail runs.

I used to live for the - "have you brought mail on board", at 3am, mid Atlantic. I tried to explain even if the Wasp could be fitted with long range fuel tanks we'd fall well short of Lands End.

Someone mentioned the crab mail drops. Did the humorous bastards deliberately break the first 'mail' drop on your ship. Just to see if it would wind us up.
  11. You mean snail mail is still sent in this technological age? :lol:
  12. Thanks for the replies - the winning combination of useful and entertaining!

13. If nothing else we can at least be entertaining.
  14. I have never seen a box of bickies go any other way. Do they use transporters these days then. By heck Capt Kirk was right all along!! :lol:
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Doh, not again. Suppose I'll have to pin it to the Ship's Company Noticeboard with all my other ones...

Ok, if I really must be serious: All you ever wanted to know about sending parcels to ships can be found on the very useful BFPO Website which gives all the details you could wish for & many you wished you hadn't bothered asking.