Send New Photo For Driving License

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Backpacker1uk, Sep 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So when did that rip off come in, and I hear of people who still have a paper license yet they want a new photo and twenty quid I thought that was it until I am seventy??

Renewing passport tomorrow it states if your appearance has not changed no need to have a witness statement. Not for Swansea though.

2. Renew on line they will use current passport photo and signature, did mine no probs 8)

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, I was "Mr Angry from Horsea" about this one too a few years ago.

How on earth the cost is justified is beyond me, however those of us in the minority who wish to be 'legit' apparently get stung too.

4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I've still got my paper licence. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet one day. After watching the BBC's Watchdog a while back, I think I'll make a photocopy.

The better half is dripping (Nothing new there) she has to pay to have hers renewed.

5. My new EU style UK licence with photo was issued in 2007 and expires in 2013 which I am pleased to tell you is long before I'm 70 :lol:
    In Spain and if you are over 40 your licence is valid for just 5 years and you must have a reaction test (basic) and an eye test before it is renewed.
    That includes holders of other countries EU style licences resident in the the country.
    And I think I look equally as gorgeous now as I did in 2007 so no I can't see why they'll want 20 quid :lol:

6. Me too, although I think the Army have a hard-on for a photo licence (something to do with the FMT600). Without it apparently I can't drive the Mini-bus. Gutted 8)

7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I do have a ADP (Admiralty Driving Permit) which I think runs out next year. All I had to do was produce my paper licence at the MT section and hey presto I became an owner of a pink piece of card.

I was going to do my bike licence through you trench slugs, but ended up doing a weeks direct access at my local bike trainer. I wonder if its still on the go? It might be something for young Tim to look into.

8. That dont make no differance at all the way them morans drive over there :D

9. If you renew your paper licence and don't submit a photo because the
    Dvla use a picture of you that is on your Passport online then it will automatically date your UK driving licence to expire the same year as your passport . This is because the DVLA rules require a photo every ten years to show your normal likeness on your driving licence.

So advice is to renew your UK driving licence photo via the Post Office/DVLA before your passport expires

G.

10. When I had the heart attack the bastards made me renew my licence when they put the three year restriction on me £20. But I had to have a photo licence in 2000 to put my PSV entitlement on with my HGV. £20.
    Now the bastards have just made me renew as my photo is ten years old another £20. They did not tell me to send new pic in 2006 when I renewed for the restriction. :twisted: :twisted:

11. That'll pan out nicely thanks.

12. Didn't think those were still being issued.

I drove a SWB Landie in Chatham, and was tasked to take the driving test, despite driving for many years.

From the examiner (a dockyard matey - who else ??):
    Q."What action would you take to protect the vehicle if a below freezing weather front was forecast?"
    My reply 'Cover the engine and park in shelter if possible'.
    His reply: 'Would you not drain the oil from the engine?'
    Me: 'What, every night, and refill it every morning? :?
    Him: 'Yes'
    Me: 'No'
    Him: 'You have not passed the test'
    Me: 8O , then a shrug, and drove back to the ship.

Suffice it to say, I didn't bother retaking, but carried on regardless in driving the Landie each day. I rather suspect that the dockies in those days were rather protective of their transport.

13. Not so, Passport expires 2014, Driving Licence 2019

14. 'ang on! Passport and driving licence linked? ID cards by the back door?
    Plus and more important if the two agencies are talking to one another why not merge them, ditch half the staff, and save a great deal :thumbright:

15. Good idea but that would be too simple.

16. Damn! I know there would be a problem :lol:

17. Not problem at all but you are not a quango, have not studied the problem for long enough and only one person.

You need to form a commitee, Im sure the good people of RR would help and be able to spend close to £200M over the next 5 years and come to, after due consideration, the same conclusion. Simples :D

18. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Knew an FAA Scimitar pilot who had a photo of a Gibraltan ape on his id card but nobody noticed.