Semi-considering re-enlisting....

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by stumpyone10, Jul 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

I'm new to this forum so hi!

Now I've got a question and I wondered if you guys could help.

I was in the Royal Marines Band Service 10 years ago. I completed basic training and half of my music training before getting out as an 'unhappy under 18'! I did this as I was P7RD at the time and convinced they were going to medically discharge me which I didn't want.

After I went outside a doctor showed up at my house, did a medical exam and left. About 3 months later I received notification that I was now a war pensioner at 19% disability.

My question is that I am considering re-enlisting but will the war pension effect me. I don't get regular payments, I got given a small lump sum, 10 years ago.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
    Stumpy

2. I reckon they'd snap you up right away, only 19% disabled ? piece of piss, as long as you've done at least a bit of practice with your triangle, tambourine or whatever you should be in by the end of the month.

It's not like there's a queue at the careers office eh?

3. Hi Stumpy!

Welcome to Rum Ration!

What was the nature of your illness?

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Stumpy could be a clue

5. :D

6. Hahaha! No I was just born stumpy!

I broke my ankle in training. Nothing too serious andnow fully recovered.

Thanks for your replies.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you are in receipt of a pension then claiming you are now fit usually means that the pension has to be re-paid from the date you were considered fit for service again. If discharged medically unfit, you'll have to prove the ailment no longer affects you.

Odds of getting back into the RMBS are limited and there's only one intake per year nowadays (September), however if you don't ask, you don't get.

Further details regarding re-joining are here: http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=15638.html

Best of luck

8. Thanks for your reply.

I'm not really in reciept of a pension since they gave me a lump sum 10 years ago as my injury had been made worse by my service but they knew I had a broken ankle which would heal.

Obviously if I decide I do want to try and re-join I'll speak to the careers office about this but I wanted to know what you guys thought (not very clear cut situation)!

It was 1 intake a year when I joined up last time. I'm hoping that I'll be as lucky in audition as I was 10 years ago!

Thanks again

9. What do you play, Stumpy?

10. Ninja_Stoker

The advice is to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later as it can take a couple of months just to get permission to process an application, after we get hold of your former service records. Obviously September this year is out, but assuming they are still recruiting next year after the defence review, it would be wiser to gain a foothold now. When all's said & done, even if you pass selection, you can still elect not to join.

Depending on the conditions under which you re-enter, it may well be the case that the "opt-out" (PVR) option doesn't apply if the RM Branch Manager decides those conditions (he may not, of course), so with 15 weeks basic, 2 years 8 months training, a return of service over 2.5 years followed by 12 months notice to quit - you're going to quite possibly serve over six years minimum, second time around.

Assuming you've kept abreast of the RMBS, you'll be aware BRNC Band now lives in Collingwood, as of last year. If you're not up to speed on the band, have a shufty here: http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/pages/index1.htm

11. Thanks for your great replies.

I was a bugler last time but now play the French horn. I've done my music degree in the gap too.

My husband is still in the RMBS but no one there really knows much about anything!

If the recruiting isn't stopped I'd be looking at sept 2011 or sept 2012.

Thanks again.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Best bet is get hubby to contact the band Public Relations WO2 via the School of Music - he's a good guy, extremely helpful & will pass on his mobile number for you to give him a call and have an informal chat about the options open and the way ahead.

Edit: In fact, I've just PM'd his details to you, to save the effort.

Best of luck

13. That's fantastic, cheers Ninja!

14. The other point - have you got any metalwork in your ankle?

15. No metalwork.

I had 2 arthroscopies and 2 microfractures on my knee as I've had a few problems with it over the years but it since my last op I have seen a dramatic improvement and that's why I'm considering re-joining.

16. Don't think they need buglers anymore as most of the RN are able to bugle after a night on the ALE.
    have heard that their are always vacancies for proficient one eyed piccolo players though :p :oops:

17. Need more info regarding the fracture and its management to ensure you are medically fit - you may not be. Feel free to PM me if you don't want the world to know!

Angrydoc
    RN Medical Officer

18. Ninja_Stoker

Yeah, Well it is the Band we're talking about Jim - odds are you've actually met, too.

Gasp, Surely Stumpyone isn't Mrs StixJimbo? :lol:

19. Thanks.

I had a spiral greenstick fracture to my left fibula (I think?). I was put in a walking cast for 4 weeks and was considered fit to return to training after 7 weeks. I've had no further problems with my ankle.

I'm almost sure I know who stixjimbo is actually....

Anyway thanks for your continued help.