Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Sembawang and Singapore

Money for old rope , tropical routine on the Forth
We should have been so lucky!! Based at Simbaing we were 24 about!!!!, Kin long days - but the 24 off was magic!!! Weeks on end spent in the Jungle! - melting in 120+ degrees. Sunburn through my shirts!! Wouldn't have had it any different!! We used to reckon the Maggi sellers had better intel than MI5!! We would go on a hush hush detachment in Malaya to kick the commies arses. (I say 'WE' - the Booties and little men with curved knives!!!) We just ran an airborne taxi service for them! Anyway! Just as we were landing a little yellow gentleman riding a tricycle with a cool box would be riding into the clearing!!! How the flying fukc did they know?????
Wx5 Far East-6.jpg

No problem Fred, my memory isn't that brilliant either. It is so long ago and yet, I believe, that most of us wish it was tomorrow. It was probably the best years of my life. It was a different world in those days. I wonder what the PC brigade would make of it!!!.
Mine too, mate! ANZUK Force 1970-73 fantastic mates, beautiful S’porean girls- lovely place!

Arrived back from Singers - so for those that are interested I thought I'd just put down a few thoughts.
For those that don't give sh*t - I thought I'd just put down a few thoughts.

I wish I could remember better from 50 years ago to compare old/modern but I can't so it's just really what it's like now - and I wish I'd read this thread from the beginning before we booked.

1. It's 'kin expensive - certainly in the downtown city - we stayed in Clarke Quay which was a great location for exploring and been done up really well - but - everywhere has a 10% service charge and then 8% Tax so unless it's happy hour you won't see any change from about £12 for a pint of Tiger - and the exchange rate isn't great.

2. It's very easy to get around - either on foot or the metro - all the way out to Sembawang no problem. The metro is very effecient and runs on time - is spotlessly clean and a cheap way to get around.

3. It's pretty good to walk round the downtown area - we walked from the river to Bugis St via Raffles - with a spot of cooling down in an air conditioned mall.

4. The place is pretty much spotless - we saw virtually no litter anywhere in the city and absolutely ZERO graffitti wherever we went - such a refreshing change.

5. The - modern - architechture is quite stunning - might not be to everybody's taste but I found it amazing - but there are still pockets of the old - some on Orchard Rd and Raffles of course and I think Chinatown but we didn't get down there .

Overall we had a great time - I had a trip down memory lane that I never thought I'd get to make - and I would say if anyone gets the chance to go then do it.
It's not what we knew in the 60's and 70's but it's definitely one of the worlds great cities

Arrived back from Singers - so for those that are interested I thought I'd just put down a few thoughts.
For those that don't give sh*t - I thought I'd just put down a few thoughts.

I wish I could remember better from 50 years ago to compare old/modern but I can't so it's just really what it's like now - and I wish I'd read this thread from the beginning before we booked.

1. It's 'kin expensive - certainly in the downtown city - we stayed in Clarke Quay which was a great location for exploring and been done up really well - but - everywhere has a 10% service charge and then 8% Tax so unless it's happy hour you won't see any change from about £12 for a pint of Tiger - and the exchange rate isn't great.

2. It's very easy to get around - either on foot or the metro - all the way out to Sembawang no problem. The metro is very effecient and runs on time - is spotlessly clean and a cheap way to get around.

3. It's pretty good to walk round the downtown area - we walked from the river to Bugis St via Raffles - with a spot of cooling down in an air conditioned mall.

4. The place is pretty much spotless - we saw virtually no litter anywhere in the city and absolutely ZERO graffitti wherever we went - such a refreshing change.

5. The - modern - architechture is quite stunning - might not be to everybody's taste but I found it amazing - but there are still pockets of the old - some on Orchard Rd and Raffles of course and I think Chinatown but we didn't get down there .

Overall we had a great time - I had a trip down memory lane that I never thought I'd get to make - and I would say if anyone gets the chance to go then do it.
It's not what we knew in the 60's and 70's but it's definitely one of the worlds great cities
Presumably the cooling down was necessary after the, ahem "blazing" fire!:oops:

I'm never going back as I prefer to remember it as it was.
Rudyard Kipling ,in the Road to Mandalay, said
"
Ship me somewheres east of Suez, where the best is like the worst,
Where there aren't no Ten Commandments an' a man can raise a thirst;"

Worked in Borneo for eight years recently. Regularly visited Singers, KL and HCMC, or Saigon as the locals still refer to it. Beautiful places. Lovely people. I'm in Africa now......:rolleyes:

I was there when we, (UK), forces did the withdrawal from Singapore. The changes were already starting to happen even before we formally withdrew. As we moved out of our mess in Simbang, the Kiwis were moving in, literally.
When we actually sailed from Singa's on the good ship Albion, the squadron did a fly past over the whole peninsula along with the other air assets. One of our 23 aircraft was cleared to fly with one of its two engines removed just so the CO could say we had a 100% turn out for the flypast!!!
I managed to scrounge a place in one of the aircraft - it was great to see the whole place from the air.
As well as our ships company we also had Royal Artillery, a whole commando unit, (however many booties that makes). and a load of other ancillaries!!
That was it, good times no more. After 13 months in Singapore, other places were a decided anti climax!!

HMS Albion with 848 preparing launch for the flypast! All the Booties gear behind the island!
HMS Albion 1971.jpg

Bethlehem Harbour from the air!
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_173b.jpg

Latest Threads