Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Sembawang and Singapore

Was there 68/9 , bomb damage from WW2 still loafing and needed clearing up , went back 74/5....
total transformation.
I was there in 68/69 to Stirl - my favourite time in my favourite run ashore - all us first timers had the standard lecture from the joss when we first went alongside - beware the Russians and if you’re down Bugis St and what you see is essence then it’s a man - double headers and a massive piss up in the Terror club and egg banjos to die for - the Chogi goffa seller on his trike selling life saving ice cold chocolate and strawberry milk on the quayside - happy days days indeed - went back in 73 and just like you thought the soul had been sanitised out of it - I thinks the Anzacs had taken over Terror and made the changes - never been back since and it’s on my bucket list - but maybe it’s just best to live with the memories

Terror barracks in 73 on the Antrim, 86 on Illustrious and again in 89 on Bristol. Tiger tops whilst watching the kiwis knock six bells out of the rugby xv. Aggie Westons for a morning dip after the 24 about watchkeeping. Happy days.

Last visit to Singapore we were moved into “Woodlands Garrison” ex Terror now administered by the Dinks. ANZUK that short lived alliance to fill the hole left by the RN pulling back from the far east had just kicked off. Our refrigeration and air conditioning plant had gone tits up so we spent a week or so in the stores basin with ships company decamped to ex Terror barracks.
The Armada club/bar in Terror was still going although the night club around the back had been tastefully turned into a bedding store by the Dinks.
The air conditioned bar on the corner of the block frequented by submariners and nicknamed the ice box was now dinks only. The dockyard pool/bar was still going strong although very quiet.
Just before we left “chopper“ arrived in the stores basin pending exercises with us and the Kiwi’s. I believe the yanks called her the can opener but I never heard that term used.4F743713-C2BC-4495-8DA8-0BAB5E3036DC.jpegthe Armada bang your seat before you sit down

Last edited:
I was there in 68/69 to Stirl - my favourite time in my favourite run ashore - all us first timers had the standard lecture from the joss when we first went alongside - beware the Russians and if you’re down Bugis St and what you see is essence then it’s a man - double headers and a massive piss up in the Terror club and egg banjos to die for - the Chogi goffa seller on his trike selling life saving ice cold chocolate and strawberry milk on the quayside - happy days days indeed - went back in 73 and just like you thought the soul had been sanitised out of it - I thinks the Anzacs had taken over Terror and made the changes - never been back since and it’s on my bucket list - but maybe it’s just best to live with the memories
Ahh, the magi-man!! Kept us alive at Simbang

99C82B23-5037-419F-9A8C-B775E5F70145.jpeg

A Balmy afternoon in the stores Basin, just us and an RFA for company, when we first arrived it was a Ranger Class oiler of antique vintage this Rover was a nice shiny new type Replacement.

Spent many weeks (nearly 2 1/2 years in all off and on) in the stores basin, home base for the Old Grey Ghost and Rusty B during the 60's, Aggies swimming when off watch, the village bars and Bugis St at most other times after we'd had enough of the Brit Club never did manage to see the sun come up over the Strasse! Tropical routine at Simbang for several weeks, what a life and then again at Tengah when I was on 899 0n the Big E. Keep the memories it'll never be the same if you go back and in some ways probably the best days of your life.

I was lucky enough to go there 4 times on Invincible whilst on Orient Express 83-84 and catch the last vestiges of the old Singapore as they had just started to sanitise the place Terror barracks were NZ army but we had access to the swimming pool and bar. Sembawang village was still full of bars and Bugis St was hanging by a a thread
One of the most popular buys was a shimano pushbike which kept me going as an RA machine for a years.
We also saw the dock bottom of the KG5 dry dock twice for shaft repairs in Sembawang shipyard (which was the RN dockyard)., Unfortunately I was part the hull section at the time so ending up humping all the docking bonnets and hoses twice in the space of 2 weeks

Was there '66/68. Submariners corner where the Skimmers used to send OD's to get soaked in Tiger for daring to enter the Submariners hallowed ground.

I was there on Oberon 70/71. Everything was still in place as mentioned by previous posts. Our "hotel" was Terror barracks but we were seldom ,if ever, bothered by any barracks routine that might have been in place. Every afternoon was in submariner's corner in the Armada club with the occasional visit to the golf course or the swimming pool. The "Vill" was visited with either a meal at the street stalls or a prawn omelette banjo to munch on the walk back to Terror. I only went to Bugis Street a couple of times and wasn't seduced by the locals either time. Only a memory now and I have no inclination to return.

Money for old rope , tropical routine on the Forth the daywork RA bods were home by 1330 after having done SFA during their daily 6 hours of turn to. Major shock for them when we uncoupled from the buoys to have a trip to the dry dock for bottom scrape then alongside for other defects , all on DAILY routine , never come across so much whinging .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The pool at Terror was the best I ever came across , split down its length , deep one half which gave serious swimmers loads of room to get some lengths in and not be troubled by the shallow end strugglers with the diving bit central in deep half , gopher stall as well , what's not to like.
Scran in Terror was the best I came across in the mob , apart from the main counter with 2 choices of meat , one of fish and one misc you had the curry bar and omellete bar , all manned by LEP's.
When I went back in 74 the Armada club was shut apart from the night club at the side , this shut soon after we arrived and we used a bar near the Chuffs and Puffs mess.

Money for old rope , tropical routine on the Forth the daywork RA bods were home by 1330 after having done SFA during their daily 6 hours of turn to. Major shock for them when we uncoupled from the buoys to have a trip to the dry dock for bottom scrape then alongside for other defects , all on DAILY routine , never come across so much whinging .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The pool at Terror was the best I ever came across , split down its length , deep one half which gave serious swimmers loads of room to get some lengths in and not be troubled by the shallow end strugglers with the diving bit central in deep half , gopher stall as well , what's not to like.
Scran in Terror was the best I came across in the mob , apart from the main counter with 2 choices of meat , one of fish and one misc you had the curry bar and omellete bar , all manned by LEP's.
When I went back in 74 the Armada club was shut apart from the night club at the side , this shut soon after we arrived and we used a bar near the Chuffs and Puffs mess.
Gophers? Better you than me, although judging by the picture they look a bit like ready-made doner kebabs....o_O

Jack

The Armada was almost on a par with the USN’s enlisted men’s club in Yokosuka, that only won because the waitress service was all young female Americans.
Armada was light years ahead of your standard Naafi bar, I often wondered if Naafi had any involvement. Armada was our place of choice when we were skint and couldn’t afford to venture further afield.
There was an air conditioned bar on the left by the old gate as you trolled down the hill from the stores basin. It might have been called wah inns or something like that. Anyway no sticky greens in there but you got a measured chilled pint minus the block of ice plonked in it which you got on the strip.
My beer of choice was Anchor but push come to shove Tiger would do.

Latest Threads