Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Sembawang and Singapore

Does anyone remember the albino Chinese chap that wandered around the vill, a strange sight indeed?
Can't say I can recall him particularly - but then copious amonts of Tiger does blur the vison somewhat (especially at the tender age of 16 !! ;) )I can recall doing the "experienced" Jack to a US matelot in one of the bars ... only to see him with about 6 bars on his sleeve (30 year vet ??). Also seeing these guys go very quiet when their shore patrols entered the bars - don't recall ours being allowed to unless there was trouble (trouble from us - cough !!) ?!On another occasion a chum of mine (Bill W, now sadly long gone) got shiters, and ended up in a monsooon ditch minus all his possessions, which someone else had brought back on board to save them being nicked !Cold egg banjos alongside the pit for brekkers the next morning ?Canteen patrol minesweeping in the dockyard canteen after ejecting all the drinkers at closing time :)

So how many bought the very needy Wanchai Burberrys, and even used them ?
I did ! ... and I still possessed it (still in very good condition) right up until approx 1995 when I was seperated from the ex wife ! ... she also ditched most of my piccie albums from my service days .... :(

So how many bought the very needy Wanchai Burberrys, and even used them ?

Yup, still got mine.

Whitemouse, my first foreign was Singa's. Awesome place for a spotty beanpole teenager.

Heat, Tiger and Chit Chats - what a place.

I remember the RMP's tipping up outside the bars outside the 'Vill,' After checking ID Cards they shoved all their pissed troops into the back of their wagon, if they encountered Jack, sparko in the monsoon ditch they would check his ID then throw him back in the ditch!!! Like some one said - happy days!

The problem after that was no place on earth came any where near Singapore for a run ashore. Mind you, no where else had those nauseating oxo kids ripping you off either.

Yup, still got mine.Whitemouse, my first foreign was Singa's. Awesome place for a spotty beanpole teenager. Heat, Tiger and Chit Chats - what a place.I remember the RMP's tipping up outside the bars outside the 'Vill,' After checking ID Cards they shoved all their pissed troops into the back of their wagon, if they encountered Jack, sparko in the monsoon ditch they would check his ID then throw him back in the ditch!!! Like some one said - happy days!The problem after that was no place on earth came any where near Singapore for a run ashore. Mind you, no where else had those nauseating oxo kids ripping you off either.
Ah! the memories, remember Virgin's Corner ? ........ :lol:

'Kin Tiger! ... Lost a day of my life after going on a Tiger brewery Run ... scrubbed around the tour ... straight in the bar ... Ice cold Tiger on tap ... did still have both the glasses until my Missis mistakenly dropped the schooner with the tiger etched on the bottom but still have the tankard!

The songs, so reminiscant of my time in Singers .........Old blue eyes.......'Fly me to Neesoon, let me play among the bars'.......Jonathan King........'The sun coming out, in the middle of June, everyones gone to Neesoon'

..... Very true indeed, but then so did Singers, especially after a monsoon .... bet you didn't mind then though, did you ? ....... odd thing, these burberrys never kept my feet dry ? .... ;)

I loved monsoon's, they cooled you off and when it stopped the chogi thousand miler you were wearing soon dried off.

I was based at HMS Terror for a year in 1966. I was 19 years old and in my eight years in the RNZN that was my favorite time. Sembawang, the Stables and Bugis street. Fantastic place. Take some advice. I got nostalgic and went back for a week a visit in 2017 and I was very let down. It is so sanitized now. I preferred it as it was. Don't go, just hang onto those great memories.
John

Was there in '68 on the Yarmouth, she was in for AMP in the dockyard and we were moved into Terror barracks. Had a great time and saw some funny things in the village and Bugis street. Used to be an old guy with a one string fiddle made out of half a coconut shell, one night there were some Yank tourists who wanted to buy it ioff him, he kept saying no it was once his fathers. They kept upping the offer until he gave in and went off with 20 dollars. They disappeared dead chuffed, he was back within half an hour with the other half of the coconut. Priceless.

Latest Threads