Sell your gongs?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Lingyai, Feb 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Yes, just a piece of jewellery

100.0%
  2. Never, I am proud of my gongs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe if I was desperate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Being in an anchor faced mood I was scanning ebay and the like and was astounded as to how many medals were for sale. I was thinking that I would never part with any of mine (even the crap foreign ones). Would you?
    Some people I know are proud of theirs and some chuck them in a cupboard / cardboard box.
    I saw a falklands gong in a second hand shop in Cornwall once, quite sad really.
    So, apart from the extreme circumstances where you would need to sell them for scran, would you put your medals' on ebay?

2. Never! I have my Grand Fathers, my Fathers, my own, and look after my son's medals. All of us Ex Royal Navy. They are heirlooms.
    Even when I was hard up and was offered £700 for my own set, I just couldn't contemplate it.
    RoofRat

3. Semi related, I heard that some people can wear their father's medals' if they want, anyone ever seen that?

4. The medals don't really mean much to me just some good memories and some long boring days and weeks spent at action stations, however saying that I would not sell them for anything, even though they are now up in the loft gathering dust.
    However if circumstances change they might end up on EBay.

5. Ling
    Ling lots of people wear their Fathers and Grand Fathers medals at the Cenotaph on Rememberance Day. However, they usually wear them on the right hand side of their Blazers, jackets etc.
    RoofRat

6. Fair enough, although most of out Grandfathers' had so many we might fall over with the weight....
    I remember my Sgt telling me once that when his troop was in Northern Ireland in the 70's, anyone with less than 4 medals was a "new boy", the same guy is racking them up as we speak in Afghanistan, been de-mothballed by the corps (not that we are short on troops or anything)...

7. Actually, I can fully understand why men will sell their medals for a quick influx of cash, especially if they are incredibly hard-up. The British Legion, which often cares for old veterans is terminally short of cash. On a good year, a penny for every pound donated in the poppy appeal might actually make its way into the hands of those who deserve it the most.

When the British Legion cannot provide, a man has to care for and look after his own somehow, and a relatively rich person makes a generous offer so that he can add more medals to his militia collection, well if it was me: I would say that the health and livelihood of my family were far more important than the pride from keeping my gongs.

Although in my case, I've still got to get some medals first!

8. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I have my great grandfathers, some of my Grandfathers (his son has the rest) no doubt one day I will have my Fathers, I treasure them all and one day hope to give them and mine to my son...............................but I wouldn't let my family starve to keep them stowed away in a little box!

9. I gave mine away to a collector. He stopped me in the street a couple of days later and gave me a fiver to buy myself a drink so I suppose you could say that I sold them. They meant nothing to me.

10. Correct roofrat. Gongs belonging to you father, grandfather are allowed to be worn on the right breast.

NB

11. Sometimes it is not the serviceman who sells the medals. When my Grandfather died, my Grandmother took it upon herself to sell all his WWII medals and it wasn't for the money as she was left well provided for. By the time anyone in the family got around to asking her what had happened to the medals she had forgotten who she had sold them to so there is no chance of tracing them now. I would have been proud as punch to wear his medals on rememberance day if they were still in the family.