Self Harm- Again..

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by mattbea, Apr 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey everybody just been reading a few people bothered about self harm issues and getting into the forces, it is really bothering me now I am just waiting for my army med docs to get back to the navy so I can get my interview done. Hoping I pass my interview then will come the medical, but does bother me how my doctors notes will mention self harm which was inflicted while drunk, I have spoke to my doctor AND early intervention team which thought I could of had a problem but figured not but just leave a load of crap on my doctors notes which can be confusing, but end of the day does say I am ok and was all done while drunk.. twice in the space of 2 weeks 2 years ago.. (girlfriends!!) just wondering if I have not been on medication for anything but just put down as self harm twice (hopefully stating I was drunk) that the MO's will not just flick through and see "self harm" and straight out put no entry for me? or will they read thoroughly? just wondering as they have so many applications to go through they just look for key things and not properly read and I am wasting my time trying?
  2. If someone on here (or another forum, or a mate down the pub) says you wont make it because of x, y, or z and you don't apply, you will always be asking yourself "were they right?"

The only way to be sure is to try it and find out.

In answer to the question, I have read somewhere that more than one count of self-harm is a bar, and I have also read that each application 'hiccup' is dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

I might be wrong in one of these points in which case someone will be along to correct me - or try it and see!

P.S. I have no medical knowledge (which should be obvious!) Nor do I know the science behind the recruiting process. Its just what I have read and understood in my own 'special' way.
  3. I suspect you will be referred to a Service Consultant Psychiatrist for assessment. It sounds like your two episodes were actually one episode, but it very much depends on the underlying diagnosis (ie - was it a personality disorder or an atypical adjustment reaction).

The alcohol thing isn't terribly relevant.

As Captain Black says - apply, but be prepared to do a lot of talking about what happened 2 years ago.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Matt: Concur with previous positive comments, but if the AFCO aren't too receptive of your predicament, don't let it get you down and remember these words from "Lean On Me (I Won't Fall Over)" by Carter USM:

Stop punching walls don't cut yourself
    Try shifting some burden onto someone else
    Don't give up hope if you think you can't cope
    We should keep in touch if it gets too much
    Have faith in yourself for the sake of your health
    Stop sniffing glue try something new
    Confide in your friends you'll get by in the end
    If nothing else works have you tried the church?

5. Thanks for that guys, true, suppose I dont want to look back later in life thinking "I wish" just least "I tried" one point I will make (If i pass my interview of course) and comes to the medical is I never did it in army training for the 3-4 month I was there, as well as having a mental health stability test, basically to say there is nothing wrong with me at all, thought that would of helped and the mental health team that saw me knew how much I wanted to be in the forces and I was pretty mad at what I do see on the doctors records as over the top, but yea we can only see!!

6. Not much use if The Church are responsible for someone being in that predicament in the first place.
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Thingy: The lyrics do not specify which Church... and in the case of the original poster, religion does not appear to be the cause of his depression.

Without getting into another debate (and knowing your views on the matter, and without trying to come across as a religious zealot - something I most definitely am not!) it is possible that some people do actually get some spiritual comfort from their chosen faith in times of stress and anxiety. And whether I agree with their faith or not, that's their choice - and I respect that.

Here endeth the lesson... :thumright:

Back on thread, anyone? :wink:
  8. :aww:

...Sorry Sarge. I do know that, but..... :censored:
  9. thinking about it though.... reason im waiting so long for my interview date since i did my psychometric in feb is because of my army reply to basically say i was ok in training and did not get kicked out and that the royal navy can employ me, and then have to wait for my army medical docs to get back to them which were waiting for now, and i wonder if they are the medical records they want not my doctors?. When is it they check up on doctors records either way? i have forgot as i applied and got in the army in 2004 oh and as well I havnt been diagnosed of anything for the record and had no prescribed medication to me, just thought I would note as I have read many have with similiar problems on here
  10. I suspect we are waiting for your F/Med 4 (fancy name for your Med docs) to come through. It takes a ridiculous length of time for no apparent reason - bear with the system (because the system can never be at fault). ;)
  11. Just as an aside, I know a self-harmer who two months ago injected brasso into her leg.

Black cat that!
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Heather Mills?????
  13. Can't have been. Cuprinol maybe!