Selection this Weekend.....nervs kicking in??

The_Wonderer

War Hero
1ManRiot said:
Can anyone remember the test max scores??

IIRC, it is along these lines:
Situps (2 mins) = 80
Pushups (untimed) = 61 or failure
Burpees (1 min) = 41
WG Pullups (untimed) = 18 or failure
300m sprint = worst permissable time = 59 secs??
1.5 miles group run straight into 1.5 miles best effort = can't remember exactly, but best effort time needs to be sub 9 mins 30

Hello 1Man

I thought it was...
situps=85 in 2 mins
pushups=60 untimed (if you pause for more than 4 secs you are stopped)
burpees=45 in 1 min
chins (prone grip(palms face away)=18
6x50 metre sprints=(not sure on the time, but I thought they're looking for 45 secs)
1.5 squad run, then 1.5 in under 10 mins
level 10 bleep test
swim test

(but I'm not 100% sure either)

All you can do is give 100% effort mate and you should be ok.

(good luck bud)

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Whilst I was there on saturday, all those required to sit the Recruiting Test passed & from what recall there are one or two who have yet to be passed medically fit as information is required from either their GP or from their former service (if they're ex-service).

Not sure how many failed to complete the physical aspects of the selection weekend.

1ManRiot

Lantern Swinger
Ninja_Stoker said:
Whilst I was there on saturday, all those required to sit the Recruiting Test passed & from what recall there are one or two who have yet to be passed medically fit as information is required from either their GP or from their former service (if they're ex-service).

Not sure how many failed to complete the physical aspects of the selection weekend.
None mate, everyone passed.

desmobob

Midshipman
Two priceless memories I'll never forget from that weekend:

(1)-Invading the local public swimming baths with PT instructor and us lot while OAP's had their early morning swim.

(2)-PT instructor hurling verbal support to some poor local who happened to be going for a jog through the park while we were finishing our 3 miler.

On the down side, I've just been told by my AFCO that despite getting top marks in the selection I might not be able to attend the weekend at Merseyside 21st / 23rd as I won't have passed security clearance. :(
Anyone else experiencing the same problem from this troop?

TheRust

Lantern Swinger
Ninja_Stoker said:

Was you there Ninja? Are you a bootneck?

TheRust

Lantern Swinger
Ninja_Stoker said:

1ManRiot

Lantern Swinger
desmobob said:
Two priceless memories I'll never forget from that weekend:

(1)-Invading the local public swimming baths with PT instructor and us lot while OAP's had their early morning swim.

(2)-PT instructor hurling verbal support to some poor local who happened to be going for a jog through the park while we were finishing our 3 miler.

On the down side, I've just been told by my AFCO that despite getting top marks in the selection I might not be able to attend the weekend at Merseyside 21st / 23rd as I won't have passed security clearance. :(
Anyone else experiencing the same problem from this troop?
Yeah the swimming pool was funny, as was the jog; were you in Syndicate 5 mate? Because I was, and that about the PTI sounded like an incident on our run?

As for the SC, I am in the exact same boat, and purely because the AFCO messed up. I did everything they asked, sent them my Army discharge documents and all that, and they "forgot", terminated my application, and I got a right going over on selection weekend and very nearly got sent home as a result. SC form only got sent by them today, he tried to arrange a waiver but he wasn't confident it would be sorted. I'll be VERY miffed if I can't carry on training. Competant and willing blokes turning up and bureaucracy gets in the way.

I was suprised at how relaxed the staff were on selection. I know we are still civvies, but it was almost too simple, like the calm before the storm. Some of ManDet have a lot to learn about PT. Spitting/drinking water when not told too/standing with hands on hips got us thrashed like mad in the Army.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
TheRust said:

I was there, together with other RM Recruiters from elsewhere but you may no have seen me as I was processing the admin side of the recruiting process for all the "late starters". Essentially we've been testing, interviewing, conducting medicals, PJFTs & Security Clearances for the last 12 months, throughout the year, trying to ensure that all attending selection weekend & passed were ready to be enrolled this month.

Believe it or not despite providing additional testing, two days worth of additional interviews & medicals, there were still 20 applicants that materialised in the last 2 weeks, 5 hadn't even sat the Recruiting test. (From all over the Midlands & North West of England, not just Liverpool)

No, I'm not a Bootneck, but I work closely with them as well as the RN with regard recruiting.

1ManRiot said:
I know we are still civvies, but it was almost too simple, like the calm before the storm.

It is mate, trust me.

Your comments noted with regard Security Clearance (SC). The problem with re-entries (ex-Army, RN, RM, RAF) is that we need to obtain your former service documentation to ensure you were not discharged on medical or disciplinary grounds, this takes 6-8 weeks (for the Army administration) to send from Glasgow. Your SC takes 8 weeks AFTER you have passed Recruiting Test, Interview, Medical & Selection, assuming it's been filled in correctly & sent to the Defence Vetting Agency (DVA). If the DVA require further information they will write to you- if you don't reply within 21 days, your SC is cancelled & it has to start again.

Generally, if you complete the paperwork correctly from the start, you should expect to have the Administration side of your enrolment completed, from sitting the Recruiting Test to gaining SC in 4 months for a re-entry, 3 for a completely new entrant. If you submit ANY of your application forms later than this before your Selection weekend, it's unlikely all elements will be completed in time. If it takes longer, it'll be because your referees have not replied of something is missing or not submitted on time.

The reason it is as complex as it is, is because you will be entirely interchangeable with a regular RM Commando, once trained. The standards are exactly the same.

desmobob

Midshipman
I spoke to the CO at Birmingham last night and he said that pretty much everyone hasn't passed security yet so not to worry, we'll be going on 21st/23rd regardless.

My AFCO still wants me to go for an interview next week which I think is quite funny, he wants to know if I have the mental aptitude, that's after attending holding troop for weeks, busting a selection weekend and the rest..... AFCO's... their priceless. :)

Yeagh! I was in syndicate 5, the group that ended up having to do the three miler immediately after the V02 max test..... that was fun, fun, fun. :w00t:

I must have completed more paperwork in duplicate since applying for RMR than buying either of my existing houses, they're certainly thorough. Only thing is I think there's a paper munching monster somewhere that keeps eating them. :)

Don't forget your permanent marker for the kit and some more mug shot photo's for the weekend approaching up in Merseyside.

I agree with you on the relaxed approach. I applied for the regulars a few years back, { make that 12 :) } and you had to ask for permission to spit, and if anyone ever saw you with your hands in your pocket you got a real pile of stick. :threaten:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
desmobob said:
My AFCO still wants me to go for an interview next week which I think is quite funny, he wants to know if I have the mental aptitude, that's after attending holding troop for weeks, busting a selection weekend and the rest..... AFCO's... their priceless. :)

Hmmn, be ironic if you failed interview, eh?

Look forward to it, fella.

Here's a few things you could fail on:

I'll give a few examples which should be enough to get the gist.

Personally, you're not impressing me if you're late, unkempt, chewing gum or ill-prepared.

Other examples of possible grounds for an unsuccessful interview are as follows:

Insufficient determination to complete a course of training. (could
include ex-servicemen who have previously failed training)

A poor attitude to authority and the civil police and would rather
obstruct than help them to carry out their duties.

If the person is unwilling to work as indicated in poor school reports, job records
or references or if sacked from a number of jobs or has left without good
reason.

Not demonstrating the physical ability required for training.

Indifference to and no enthusiasm for his job.

Someone who has never lived away from home, has never experienced
being apart from their family and has given little thought to it.

No outside interests or activities.

Clear signs that he has failed to adapt to
changing circumstances or to cope with stress and it seems unlikely that this
has changed.

Had poor relationships with authority, May have had an extremely poor truancy record.

If likely to react adversely to Service discipline especially during
training.

Unspent offences.

Evidence of dishonesty, wilful disobedience or
law-breaking.

An ‘Undischarged’ Bankrupt.

If deliberately evasive during interview and it is felt that
information is being withheld ie: dishonest.

Contrary to what people may advise, honesty at interview is by far the best method. If someone has committed a transgression it would probably be viewed more favourably if they demonstrated remorse rather than indignation.

There's no hidden agenda, but if you're found to be economical with the truth, it is obviously not going to get you too many Brownie points.

Hopefully this will give you a very rough idea of what we seek.

Enjoy!

Latest Threads